Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Miracle, new update (15.10.5) available :) 10-14-2021

dmac1

Reaction score
I had two disconnects from the beacon and my S2 constantly switched into GPS mode while tracking today. The new update is a step backwards for me.
Switching to GPS mode was part of what my drone was doing. See my post about GPS issues and maybe post up the details of your incidents including how far out you were running it. I typically have had mine just a little past the 2nd preprogrammed distance via - key on beacon. I don't think distance was my issue, cuz some of what mine did was right after launch.

If we get enough people sharing whats happening, maybe we can determine whats going wrong.

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
Around the second distance mark is where mine typically switch to GPS. Not sure if that's distance based or if it's the subject's size seen by the camera.

I'm of the opinion the more it tracks you the better it does, yeah sounds crazy I know. The update seemed to make it start over making it act very much like it was when I first got it. :)

When the new drone and beacon shows up my strategy is the first day flying I'm going to ride around in an open area and get in 3 or 4 batteries worth of easy tracking at lower speeds. If I'm right that should make for a good start.

kgilbertsen

Reaction score
I haven't flown mine since the update, except for a couple minutes in the back yard - nothing more than a straight up to 30' and down with the controller.
Most of the issues I'm seeing here regarding the issues since the update seem to involve the beacon not playing right with the rest of the components - is that correct? Or is it more or less an all around step backward regardless of the components used?
I ask because I haven't used my beacon yet - it's been the controller for me since the beginning. I'm hoping to get some flying time in after Thanksgiving, so it'd be nice to think I won't have to go through the process of the drone re-learning it's skills...
Is this just wishful thinking on my part? 😏

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
I haven't flown mine since the update, except for a couple minutes in the back yard - nothing more than a straight up to 30' and down with the controller.
Most of the issues I'm seeing here regarding the issues since the update seem to involve the beacon not playing right with the rest of the components - is that correct? Or is it more or less an all around step backward regardless of the components used?
I ask because I haven't used my beacon yet - it's been the controller for me since the beginning. I'm hoping to get some flying time in after Thanksgiving, so it'd be nice to think I won't have to go through the process of the drone re-learning it's skills...
Is this just wishful thinking on my part? 😏
That's pretty much what I've experienced, the update improved controller performance and seemed to degrade the beacon tracking. I'd suggest getting out in a large safe area and play with the beacon, wanding and letting it track you while getting comfortable using the device. You'll be able to see if everything is working right and it'll make a difference when you need it to perform. I believe it gets better the more flight time it has as I mentioned, if that's the case it makes sense to go easy at first.

Reactions: kgilbertsen

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
Switching to GPS mode was part of what my drone was doing. See my post about GPS issues and maybe post up the details of your incidents including how far out you were running it. I typically have had mine just a little past the 2nd preprogrammed distance via - key on beacon. I don't think distance was my issue, cuz some of what mine did was right after launch.

If we get enough people sharing whats happening, maybe we can determine whats going wrong.
I was mostly on the first or second distance setting out when the problems occurred. Conditions were ideal and the Jeep was high contrast. I've been on this trail many times before and have not seen this behavior. It would lose visual and immediately say GPS tracking I would hear a beep and my S2 would start to rise like it was returning to home and the app said lost beacon. Within a few seconds the beacon would regain contact and I would fly it back.

Oddly enough like ridefreak said the more I flew it the less problem I had. By the end of the second battery I wasn't seeing any disconnects. Also if I went out to the 3rd or 4th distance setting the problem was less pronounced. Definitely something goofy going on with the new firmware.

SC-Surfer

Reaction score
New SD2 incomming. Any idea if they are are shipping with this new firmware?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLYDWAYS