Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Autel and EVO joining to compete with DJI ?

Jafemu

Reaction score
This is not news I read......just a dream I had. Full disclosure.....I own a Skydio2, an Autel EVO 1, and a DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. It seems that the 2 “American” companies above will struggle to get market share from the innovative behemoth that is DJI. Both Skydio2 and Autel EVO have compelling strengths but shortcomings. Skydio is the industry leader in AI and obstacle avoidance, but with a subpar controller and range. EVO has a respectable controller with good range and flight time, but that horizon tilt problem has made the EVO 1 and ( some hints EVO 2 ) less reliable for photography than DJI products. BOTH American companies thankfully currently lack the pesky no fly zones of DJI. If Autel and Skydio combined money and intellectual resources, then THAT would be a bigger threat to DJI dominance than either company alone. Together they might create the perfect consumer product. Just my thought.

I thought those 2 American CO’s just had offices here
but were made in China.?

I thought those 2 American CO’s just had offices here
but were made in China.?

Autel is a Chinese owned company. Autel drones are designed and manufactured in China. Autel Robotics (a subsiditary of Autel) has marketing and support offices in the US.

Skydio is an American owned company. Skydio drones are designed and assembled here from Chinese made parts. Skydio has all of their marketing and support in the US.

Reactions: loyukfai
Autel is a Chinese owned company. Autel drones are designed and manufactured in China. Autel Robotics (a subsiditary of Autel) has marketing and support offices in the US.

Skydio is an American owned company. Skydio drones are designed and assembled here from Chinese made parts. Skydio has all of their marketing and support in the US.

I think I knew that Autel was a Chinese company that had US support ?? and Autel and Skydio, the American based co. , have no reason to collaborate.........I was just imagining a potential way for two
“Davids” to take on the DJI “ Goliath! “ Skydio seems to have cracked a big nut with their groundbreaking obstacle avoidance. Perhaps they will take that groundbreaking technology and combine it with a genuinely precision controller with true radio connectivity. We are already seeing “ cinematic” Skydio2 videos with the controller that mere mortals could never do with a DJI or Autel drone. ( fly backwards through trees ! )
That and a few good extra autonomous flight modes like a POI and spotlight mode and they will get back on top...........the market for tracking snowboards and mountain bikes is probably a small group of drone enthusiasts. But for now, that market is ( or should be ) owned by Skydio.

IMG_7919.gif

Actually if you want to be specific, the SD2's titanium chassis is made in the US, the main compute engine (most expensive component) is fabbed in Tiawan by an american company (Nvidia) The camera and batteries as well as some of the ancillary processors are likely made in china but to say it's an american drone made out of Chinese parts isn't close, the two most expensive components that make up the majority of the drone's cost are both produced by american companies. Exactly what "American" car companies do, typical globalization.

Actually if you want to be specific, the SD2's titanium chassis is made in the US, the main compute engine (most expensive component) is fabbed in Tiawan by an american company (Nvidia) The camera and batteries as well as some of the ancillary processors are likely made in china but to say it's an american drone made out of Chinese parts isn't close, the two most expensive components that make up the majority of the drone's cost are both produced by american companies. Exactly what "American" car companies do, typical globalization.

"Titanium"? I thought that part of it, specifically the blue part was magnesium and the black parts were plastic. Anyway, okay it's an American designed drone assembled from mostly Asian made parts and one American made part. Hahahaha! In any case, it's not "Made in America". I don't disagree as far as cars or motorcycles go. I've had the same argument with Harley guys. My point isn't that I care where a product is made, I'm getting on my Japanese sport bike to go fly my COMPLETELY Chinese made drone right now. I'm just pushing back on the notion that this or any drone is made in the USA.

Interview with Adam Bryl,

Last edited:
Reactions: dougcjohn
Oh I thought I broke some rule by the way "COMMUNITY RULES" were under this GIF. Hahahaha!
Nope Lon that’s just in my signature.

"Titanium"? I thought that part of it, specifically the blue part was magnesium and the black parts were plastic. Anyway, okay it's an American designed drone assembled from mostly Asian made parts and one American made part. Hahahaha! In any case, it's not "Made in America". I don't disagree as far as cars or motorcycles go. I've had the same argument with Harley guys. My point isn't that I care where a product is made, I'm getting on my Japanese sport bike to go fly my COMPLETELY Chinese made drone right now. I'm just pushing back on the notion that this or any drone is made in the USA.

Interview with Adam Bryl,

Yup.... sure seems like someone has a burr under their saddle.<GRIN>

Just counting the days until Skydio opens up the place where the only true American drone is made.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup