Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Best Phone for Skydio 2

Being batch 3, you’ll have PLENTY of time to keep looking... being that they keep pushing back further...
Comment #15 already provided me the answer....

I've no problems with how they're handling the influx of orders.

They're a lot more candid than any other drone company I've dealt with and what's not to like about a US drone manufacturer shaking things up a bit.

Reactions: Ridefreak
What's the type of video encoding used by the S2?

If a good on-line source exists that could show me what's above and below HDR and what each level offers I can better see what you are referring to.
I'm assuming here that you want the high nits so that you can easily see the screen while piloting the drone. In this scenario the video being transmitted is only standard HD at 720p (Skydio 2 Controller). I seriously doubt there are any professional drones using live HDR video feeds while piloting a drone, the bandwidth required is just too limiting on a single channel. Now once you copy the file from the S2 SD card to your phone and you have recorded the video with HDR enabled, then the 1290 nits may come into play.

I'm assuming here that you want the high nits so that you can easily see the screen while piloting the drone. In this scenario the video being transmitted is only standard HD at 720p (Skydio 2 Controller). I seriously doubt there are any professional drones using live HDR video feeds while piloting a drone, the bandwidth required is just too limiting on a single channel. Now once you copy the file from the S2 SD card to your phone and you have recorded the video with HDR enabled, then the 1290 nits may come into play.
Hmm.... then if I'm not using the controller and just relying on the beacon wouldn't any real time flight video I see on the iPhone 11 Pro OLED be HDR at the 1290 nits brightness?

I'm confused.... If "professional" drones aren't capable of providing live HDR video how is the S2 SD recording such a video?

I'm confused.... If "professional" drones aren't capable of providing live HDR video how is the S2 SD recording such a video?
if I'm reading your question correctly it records on a micro SD card carried on the drone.

Hmm.... then if I'm not using the controller and just relying on the beacon wouldn't any real time flight video I see on the iPhone 11 Pro OLED be HDR at the 1290 nits brightness?

What it records to the SD card and what it live streams back to your phone are 2 different things. The live stream on any drone back to your phone is going to be lower resolution and highly compressed compared to what is being stored natively on the SD card in the drone. The live stream just has no way to be able to stream a full res 4K60 uncompressed stream back to your phone. It just doesn't have the bandwidth to do so, especially when it gets out at distance and would be a power hog to do so as well.

What it records to the SD card and what it live streams back to your phone are 2 different things. The live stream on any drone back to your phone is going to be lower resolution and highly compressed compared to what is being stored natively on the SD card in the drone. The live stream just has no way to be able to stream a full res 4K60 uncompressed stream back to your phone. It just doesn't have the bandwidth to do so, especially when it gets out at distance and would be a power hog to do so as well.
I think you actually had to say it twice but I finally understand... :)

Do I need to look for any particular kind of SD card to assure that its faithfully capturing the full HDR information?

I think you actually had to say it twice but I finally understand... :)

Do I need to look for any particular kind of SD card to assure that its faithfully capturing the full HDR information?
Just make sure you get a U3 card that is rated for 4K at 100Mbps. I’ve had good success with Sandisk products. I usually go with 64GB cards and swap them instead of doing a single larger one. That way if I have problems, I’ll hopefully only lose some of my footage, not all of it.
This is what I normally go with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ee-20&linkId=5113ebf88bdb51c6dcdea40e94d4be3b

if I'm reading your question correctly it records on a micro SD card carried on the drone.
Sorry I didn't word my question better but all is well.
KlooGee's explanation (below) finally got through to me.

The 1290 nits for HDR (iPhone 11 Pro Max) will only apply when the video being played is HDR encoded. The video feed from Skydio isn't, so the display brightness will only hit 1090 nits.
What's the type of video encoding is used by the S2?

If a good on-line source exists that could show me what's above and below HDR and what each level offers I can better see what you are referring to.
The 1290 nits for HDR (iPhone 11 Pro Max) will only apply when the video being played is HDR encoded. The video feed from Skydio isn't, so the display brightness will only hit 1090 nits.
Not the brightness I was hoping for but depending how well it does in the sunlight and what kind of reflectivity the screen has I guess its the best I can do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES