Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Controller USB C to Micro B USB Tablet

The fact that the S2 can NOT yet be matched when it comes to obstacle avoidance clearly indicates that a lot more data is being processed by the S2 than by other drones.

They wouldn't have brought up the USB 3 compliant issue unless they suspected that data transfer speed was an issue.

Wish you luck regarding a followup email reply as they must be deluged with inquiries.

P.S. Heard a podcast the other night given by their CEO that they are working out of their garages to do what ever work possible remotely!

The fact that the S2 can NOT yet be matched when it comes to obstacle avoidance clearly indicates that a lot more data is being processed by the S2 than by other drones.

They wouldn't have brought up the USB 3 compliant issue unless they suspected that data transfer speed was an issue.

Wish you luck regarding a followup email reply as they must be deluged with inquiries.

P.S. Heard a podcast the other night given by their CEO that they are working out of their garages to do what ever work possible remotely!
I expect the issue is more that the USB C uses 9 wires instead of 4 and has separate data wires for sending and receiving, where the USB 2 sends and receives bidirectionally over the same 2 wires. The phone is just not seeing data from the controller and does not know it is connected.
One user says he found a cable that works. I may order that one or just buy a used phone that has USB C port.

Recommend you read the link I sent you earlier.

Your confusing USB protocols (2.0 and 3.0) with USB configurations (A, B, C)

If your phone only has a USB 2 port it won't be able to handle a USB 3.0 device like the S2.

Test what I'm saying by finding a phone with a USB 3 port and use the cable Skydio provided and your problem should go away.

Recommend you read the link I sent you earlier.

Your confusing USB protocols (2.0 and 3.0) with USB configurations (A, B, C)

If your phone only has a USB 2 port it won't be able to handle a USB 3.0 device like the S2.

Test what I'm saying by finding a phone with a USB 3 port and use the cable Skydio provided and your problem should go away.
I read the link. My phone has a USB micro connector and works with USB 2.0. The Skydio Controller has USB C connector and 3.0 or 3.1 protocols. USB 3 devices are usually backward compatible such that if you plug in a USB 2 drive, it will still work. The cables may not be compatible depending on how they are wired. Since the USB C connection at one end of the cable, has 4 data wires, how are these connected to the 2 data wires in the micro USB connectore at the other end of the cable? If only 2 are connected, the phone may not receive information that is sent on the other 2 wires.
In any event, I solved the problem a different way. I bought a used phone locally which has a USB C port. I have installed the app and connected it to the controller and it works fine. That was just another $100 I did not want to spend and I did not want to use my main phone (Note 9) for the drone.
Thanks to all who tried to help.

Reactions: Ridefreak
##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Hi - your support ticket with Skydio (46440) has been updated. To add additional comments, just reply to this email.
John (Skydio)
Oct 20, 2020, 2:32 PM PDT
Hi Rich,

Currently we don't post to that forum and when customers have issues it's best to reach out directly like you have. This issue seems to be resolved in the thread, but there is confusion around the cable protocol. The cable has to be an OTG cable in order to properly work, but Skydio does not make a Micro USB adapter or cable. We are currently testing various solutions but the customers on that forum have posted cables that they have had success with. We will be able to help customers with Micro USB ports better once we have a tested solution. There is a lot of data passing through that cable in terms of 720p video feed along with other data and so a USB 2 data rate should work, but it has to be through an official type C connection using OTG.

Currently this https://www.amazon.com/Hanatora-Micro-AB-Controller-Platinum-Connector/dp/B07SMQ4L97/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=sspa_mw_detail_1 should work, but we are working on testing this so if you see other having issues they can try this but it is not an official recommendation, just a cable that meets the proper specifications.

We appreciate you looking out for the Skydio 2 pilots out there. Did you have a personal question you would like answered?
Best regards,
John
Skydio Safe Flight Guidelines
Skydio 2 FAQ
Skydio 2 User Guides
855-GOFLY02

rich garlick
Oct 20, 2020, 5:38 AM PDT
Hello,
This guy needs help and if Skydio has a good solution to this, I suggest Skydio posts to this forum.

https://skydiopilots.com/threads/controller-usb-c-to-micro-b-usb-tablet.268/post-3965
Best,
Skydio Support

If you have any questions, reply to this email or contact us at [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup