Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Major landing trouble

jpierre

Reaction score
I conducted 5 flights with Skydio 2+ w/ controller on a windy day manual mode. I was getting some wind warnings but the drone was handing well.

The first 3 flights completed with beautiful Case Landings.

On the 4th flight the Skydio would not land either using the HOLD TO LAND icon in the app or the button on the controller. The HOLD TO LAND icon would show a red circle growing clockwise as the button was pressed but then the drone would just hover and do nothing to land. Repeated attempts to reposition the vehicle and execute landing were fruitless...case landing...ground landing...nothing. There was also no way to land the vehicle manually, it would only descend to a minimum of about 2 feet even if min height was disabled. We eventually had to just hover it at 2 feet until it ran out of batteries.

After replacing with a fresh battery and restarting the drone, the 5th flight had the same landing problems...it. would. not. land.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there a way to land the drone manually if the HOLD TO LAND button won't work?

BlueHeeler

Reaction score
I conducted 5 flights with Skydio 2+ w/ controller on a windy day manual mode. I was getting some wind warnings but the drone was handing well.

The first 3 flights completed with beautiful Case Landings.

On the 4th flight the Skydio would not land either using the HOLD TO LAND icon in the app or the button on the controller. The HOLD TO LAND icon would show a red circle growing clockwise as the button was pressed but then the drone would just hover and do nothing to land. Repeated attempts to reposition the vehicle and execute landing were fruitless...case landing...ground landing...nothing. There was also no way to land the vehicle manually, it would only descend to a minimum of about 2 feet even if min height was disabled. We eventually had to just hover it at 2 feet until it ran out of batteries.

After replacing with a fresh battery and restarting the drone, the 5th flight had the same landing problems...it. would. not. land.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there a way to land the drone manually if the HOLD TO LAND button won't work?
That is certainly something I have not encountered in all of my landings, seems like a communication issue at the moment when you give the command to land, or some major interference, IDK. I would contact Skydio and also send in the Flight Log when this issue occurred, they should be able to see it on their end.

Keep us Posted.

jpierre

Reaction score
I'm in contact with Skydio support on this issue, and they are being responsive. From what I could tell we had good connectivity, since the drone would respond well to the controller inputs, and seemed to accept the landing input too...but it would not actually go into a landing mode. As for hand landing the instructions said not to attempt that if the yellow landing lights don't come on, since the vehicle will still be in obstacle avoidance mode. It was tempting to just try to grab it and power it down by hand but opted to prioritize safety of personnel over the safety of the vehicle.

anthonydotcom

Reaction score
I'm in contact with Skydio support on this issue, and they are being responsive. From what I could tell we had good connectivity, since the drone would respond well to the controller inputs, and seemed to accept the landing input too...but it would not actually go into a landing mode. As for hand landing the instructions said not to attempt that if the yellow landing lights don't come on, since the vehicle will still be in obstacle avoidance mode. It was tempting to just try to grab it and power it down by hand but opted to prioritize safety of personnel over the safety of the vehicle.
Smart move. I had a brain fart last weekend and forgot to tell the drone to land. Instead I attempted to grab the drone out of the air and ended up with a good sized cut on my wrist and a drone that landed head down onto some rocks. Thankfully the drone was safe, and the cut wasn't worse than it was.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeatXfer