Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

'Poor GPS , move for better coverage...'

Status
Not open for further replies.
what "faa rule" do you think skydio should enforce? just so we are clear and there is no confusion, tell me the rule/law which you are referring to. if it's what i am thinking about, earlier i said i have 12 reasons and honestly, im shocked that you don't know of at least 1 reason why it would be difficult to impossible for the drone to enforce. so let's make sure you and i are on the same page with that "rule."

i understand your predicament. to be honest, i don't know what you can do. unless you can get a good gps, there are limitations placed on your drone and i don't know how to bypass those limitations. how were you flying the drone when you got jammed up, rc remote, beacon, mobile?
I haven't heard from any of you a single reason why GPS is enforced then.
FAA is a law, wile GPS limit is NOT. Read here, no need 12 reasons https://www.nifc.gov/drones/blm/FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet.pdf
So the question was - why firmware let bypass FAA but not GPS? Answer is? Exactly, no answer in entire topic. Apparently it's a sole Skydio proprietary decision.

I already described, 300 ft tall 2 mountains and launch in between them became impossible. Used controller with iOS app. So why the heck I have to spend such money for this thing if I can't launch it somewhere on the hike or whatever? Huh?

FAA is a law, wile GPS limit is NOT. Read here, no need 12 reasons https://www.nifc.gov/drones/blm/FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet.pdf
So the question was - why firmware let bypass FAA but not GPS? Answer is? Exactly, no answer in entire topic. Apparently it's a sole Skydio proprietary decision.

I already described, 300 ft tall 2 mountains and launch in between them became impossible. Used controller with iOS app. So why the heck I have to spend such money for this thing if I can't launch it somewhere on the hike or whatever? Huh?
ok you posted a big long document but im going to assume you are referring to "drones should not fly higher than 400 feet above ground level."

i apologize if i am wrong but it sounds like english is not your primary language so you may be having a little bit of trouble with the wording. the faa has told the pilot to keep their drone no higher than 400 feet above ground level. the faa has not told skydio to stop their drone from flying higher than 400 feet above the ground. faa enforces laws against the pilot, not against the manufacturer.

only the faa can enforce something. the faa has not enforced gps. skydio cannot enforce gps. skydio has simply decided that you need a good gps signal in order to safely fly your drone. without a good gps signal, skydio has decided to place limitation on your drone. faa has nothing to do with this.

hope this helps explain. i get it you are frustrated with the gps piece but it has nothing to do with 400 AGL. remember, the government posts the speed limits (100 kph) but the car manufacturer is under no obligation to restrict the maximum speed of your car (in most cases). it's up to the pilot to comply. dji and autel will supply the drone pilot with a manual switch that will enable the pilot to prevent the drone from flying higher than a pre-set altitude from takeoff (again, has nothing to do with AGL).

got it, i understand the terrain. at your location, the gps signal was weak. if you are using the remote with an iphone, did you not see the warning message about weak gps? i'm wondering how you responded to that alert?

ok you posted a big long document but im going to assume you are referring to "drones should not fly higher than 400 feet above ground level."

i apologize if i am wrong but it sounds like english is not your primary language so you may be having a little bit of trouble with the wording.
And document says it in first paragraph or was it hard to use a search?
It's funny to hear a criticism of language from someone, who doesn't bother to use capital letters and proper punctuation.
And you not even get my point, because you read messages in between the lines.
Let me explain my point again. I brought up FAA bypass option available in the Skydio app in comparison to absence of same bypass option for GPS signal in order to criticize Skydio developers for doing so and find a solution to be able to launch drone in poor GPS reception environments.
I hope this is clear enough.

It's funny to hear a criticism of language from someone, who doesn't bother to use capital letters and proper punctuation.
Let me explain my point again. I brought up FAA bypass option available in the Skydio app in comparison to absence of same bypass option for GPS signal in order to criticize Skydio developers for doing so and find a solution to be able to launch drone in poor GPS reception environments.
Wow!

I would encourage you to read the community guidelines for this forum.

Wow!

I would encourage you to read the community guidelines for this forum.

Seriously? I'm not the one who insulted someone, never did, y'all being bullying me in the topic, so refer your guidelines to his post #22
If my profile is new, it doesn't mean you all can pick on it, covering each other up like in some high school.
Just say you don't know why GPS is reception is enforced and stop this show-off.

Last edited:
i thought i had explained it. apparently not because you are still referring to "bypass options" which there clearly are none. there are no bypass options. when you are ready to think about it in a different way, let us know and perhaps we can help further. i launch my particular drone in poor gps reception environments and when i do, the drone helps me and i keep flying. but that's only because i try to understand what is happens and details matter. what you need to understand is this isn't always possible (depending on where you are located) or allowable according to skydio (faa has no say). there's nothing to criticize; it's like trying to criticize the car manufacturer for only allowing the steering wheel to turn so far or the car to shut off when something is wrong. in that case, you are s.o.l. not sure what else to tell you, perhaps someone else can chime in. good luck with launching in area where there is no gps, perhaps you can get one of the other drones that don't need gps in order to fly.

Well I fly it 4 years and so what? If you feel bothered, don't answer, because you sound like embarrassed Skydio employee, who tries to justify the nonsense in the firmware, ignoring the fact of allowed FAA bypass I have mentioned, comparing to GPS.
I did post an explanation. You just didn't like it. If you want some kind of firmware bypass, bitching about it on here isn't going to get it for you. None of us are skydio employees so we can't make that happen. We're just fliers that use this drone and try and help each other out and share content. Apparently you just want to join in a forum to (Mod Removed Language)about something none of us have control over. Have at it, that's what ignore is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of FAA requirements I require GPS during my flights. Many of my drones require GPS at take off to allow return to home function to be enabled. Imagine taking off without GPS and having a fly away, first thing you'll cry about is how the manufacturer allowed that to happen.

Beyond that while tracking if I go behind a tree or the camera gets into the sun it switches to GPS tracking. My Parrot Anafi was no different it required GPS during tracking.

The drone also knows the position of the beacon or controller through GPS for return functions and safety. To each his own, there are plenty of non-gps drones out there.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Any updates on this issue? I couldn't rise up higher than 12-15 ft in between mountains due to poor GPS. Ruined my trip. Hovered for 10 min and no luck. How to override this stupidness? Last firmware still not giving any options, but they gave an option to override legal hight limit >400ft. Unbelievable....
Not sure why you brought a thread back from Feb of 21 back up
but no matter.
I would try and clean this tread up but would just about have to delete this from here. If you guys can’t not be civil there’s no need
in this to continue.
start this back up and I will do more than just close it.
dc

CLOSED​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES