Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio 2 Support or lack of it.

D.B Cooper

Reaction score
I had this Skydio 2 for two months, getting used to it, familiarizing with all the features etc. before flying..Going through the connection process, connected with 10 inch iPad, success, connected with Pixel 5, success…However my iPad is too big, and my Pixel 5 is too small..I wanted to get an Android 8” tablet..I followed Skydo’s specs as far as getting an Android tablet that meets their specs. I didn’t want to spend more than $100.00 just to fly this drone. I found a tablet on Amazon, and it passed all of Skydio’s specs. and highly rated, when it arrived I noticed its connection to the controller was USB C to USB micro c, something that Skydio doesn’t send. So being Amazon, I returned it with no problem. Then I ordered a new Lenovo M8 and it arrived with the same type of connection, so I ordered a Fasgear USB C to Micro USB C cable. Downloaded the app and ran into all kinds of connection problems, I’ll attach some pics of the kind of feedback I was getting for the connection..Tried everything, uninstalled the app., reset the controller and never could get anywhere..Before I contacted Skydio support I tried everything possible…my thinking was there is a software problem with the controller. So I sent this information to Skydio, received the typical Email “ thanks very busy wil get back soon, thanks for your patience”.. I had several drones, three different companies, so I expected a correct answer to my request at some time, I have patience okay. 11 days later I received an Email from Adrienne, “ so you received a defective USB C to USB C cable please send your address so we can get you another cable”….What?…it’s like they never read my email addressing the problem..
I think the autonomous aspect is great, but after a couple of times it gets rather, okay let’s fly this thing like other drones I had. I’m not crying wolf, the support from others is not much better, but when I had a problem, and they got back to me , I received the answers to the situation.…This answer was totally offensive..it’s an insult. I responded to Skydio, yesterday stay tuned….ps… couldn’t find pics. To upload…somewhere on this iPadFDF61B5A-E58A-41CD-AE40-BC7E0DCF1882.jpegFDF61B5A-E58A-41CD-AE40-BC7E0DCF1882.jpegA770B45A-F6AE-451A-BAB1-8ABEFA338D27.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey there, just to be clear, there is no "micro USB C" - there is "USB C" and there is "micro usb". Many older / cheaper devices still have micro usb but it is gradually being replaced. I assume you ordered a cable like this one?

The difference between Micro USB and USB C isn't just the physical plug either; USB C can carry more data, faster, and may be required for connecting to the controller. I'm curious to hear what support tells you.

At the end of the day you will likely have less headaches overall with a table equipped with a USB C port, even if you have to spend more for it.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Hey there, just to be clear, there is no "micro USB C" - there is "USB C" and there is "micro usb". Many older / cheaper devices still have micro usb but it is gradually being replaced. I assume you ordered a cable like this one?

The difference between Micro USB and USB C isn't just the physical plug either; USB C can carry more data, faster, and may be required for connecting to the controller. I'm curious to hear what support tells you.

At the end of the day you will likely have less headaches overall with a table equipped with a USB C port, even if you have to spend more for it.
I think I used the correct termination in the first part of my post, Fasgear USB C to Micro USB c..and both tablets were mfg. 2019, and 2021..I’ve had 6 drones from 3 companies, never had a tablet connection problem..if their is a proprietary condition with the cable as stated by a youtube video, then Skydio should put out more information about what works and what doesn’t work, not just make sure your Android device must be running Android 7.0. It’ll be three weeks and I’m working on 14th email back and forth, they must be heavily understaffed or more interested in their commercial business. You would think a $2k product would require serious customer attention. The controller is really poor quality, but their Skydio was really made for Tracking, not cinematic flying.Maybe next week they will address this issue.

Hopefully they give you an answer.

You may know this but if you look at the logo for the USB 2.0 format and the 3.0 format in the link above they're different, that logo is specific to the standard and is used to indicate compatibility, The cable you want needs to have the SS in the logo.

Apparently there is a micro-b to usb 3.0 data cable but it's a specific cable designed for 3.0, it's different then a standard micro usb, that logo should indicate if your cable is 3.0 compatible, I still don't know if that would communicate through. I hope you can get it resolved.

This isn’t rocket science, all Skydio has to do is “state these are the conditions you have to follow if you are to use a tablet“. You can’t even use a USB C to USB C from a third party,,,,you must use their cable. That’s why the email first sent on Aug. 17 by Support stated they would send me another cable, which I didn’t need. I’m familiar with Tripp-Lite’s port explaining the different ports…I didn’t need to read this before buying this drone…Skydio needed to put out this information so the buyer would be aware of what to expect. If they don’t get their act together they won’t be in business very long. Look on EBay, and see how the Skydio’s are stated as being sold…”Open Box”..”flew once”..”New never flown”..This is the last time I’m going to address this issue..If asked I would give my opinion of Skydio’s Support, but I still believe, if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

FYI...
This is the cable set Skydio recommended to me to resolve the similar connection issue I was having with my then current phone and the controller.. I've used the 1 foot cable once with the old phone, a Samsung Note9, and once with the Note20. Worked both times with no problems. Not enough to prove anything yet, but I'm feeling good about this cable solving the issue.

JSAUX USB C to USB C Cable 60W, 3-Pack [6.6ft+3.3ft+1ft ] Type C Fast Charging Cord Charger Samsung Galaxy S21 S21+ S21 Ultra S20 Ultra Plus S20+ Note 20 10, Google Pixel 4 3 2 XL iPad Pro 2018 -Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFJR6H...abc_4E1MVG31HDEYR8TPJRGY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This isn’t rocket science, all Skydio has to do is “state these are the conditions you have to follow if you are to use a tablet“. You can’t even use a USB C to USB C from a third party,,,,you must use their cable. That’s why the email first sent on Aug. 17 by Support stated they would send me another cable, which I didn’t need. I’m familiar with Tripp-Lite’s port explaining the different ports…I didn’t need to read this before buying this drone…Skydio needed to put out this information so the buyer would be aware of what to expect. If they don’t get their act together they won’t be in business very long. Look on EBay, and see how the Skydio’s are stated as being sold…”Open Box”..”flew once”..”New never flown”..This is the last time I’m going to address this issue..If asked I would give my opinion of Skydio’s Support, but I still believe, if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
I've been flying this drone for almost 2 years, I don't need a lecture on what SD support should have done. I was just trying to help you out.

Actually you should have asked that question before buying the drone if using a tablet with micro USB connection was important, that capability (data between micro USB-b to usb 3.0 is extremely rare, it's on you not them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup