Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio learning process if you already own another drone

Pitje

Reaction score
I own a Mavic 2 Pro since a year and I just bought a S2. My intent is not to make comparison but looking at the learning process proposed by the Skydio team: 1.-Fly with your phone 2.-Use the Beacon and 3.-Use the controller... it is exactly what I did and, for me at least, it was a mistake.
After passing the 3 stages my opinion is that if your are proficient in using a controller (which I was) you should begin with it. You already know how to use the sticks just by reflex and it is much easier to test the S2's capabilities because you don't have to learn a new device (beacon) which react completely differently than what you are used to. Furthermore learning to fly with an iPhone is difficult (when you are used to fly with a controller).
In summary begin to learn something new minimizing the device(s) you have to learn at the same time.
I hope having been able to help the future S2 owner who already owns another drone.
I am interested in the group's opinion.

Reactions: richinAZ
I agree flying with the phone is akward, I find this true with any of my drones.

I'd say if you already know how to fly with a controller then it's a good place to start.

But the S2 is different, in order to get the most out of it you should transition to the beacon if you intend to do follow. The magic wand feature of the beacon makes it a powerful tool in a compact package for sports follow.

I agree. I went with Skydio's recommendation and used my phone only for the first flight. My first flight was by far my worst flight.

I haven't flown since without the controller. Personally, I'd venture to say even if you have never flown a drone before, you're better off using the controller (assuming you have one) and just really taking your time. I found flying with the phone clumsy and cumbersome.

As a first time drone flyer with Skydio. The order of phone, beacon, controller was my natural path of evolution. Starting with the phone to understand the app and the basic flight controls. Adding the beacon with the phone to increase range, play with the wand feature and try some tracking features. Then adding the controller when I just want to fly around and explore with greater range.

In the end it doesn't really matter if it's the beacon or controller you use first. It's two different devices that can't be used at the same time so each will have a different learning curve.

As a first time drone flyer with Skydio. The order of phone, beacon, controller was my natural path of evolution. Starting with the phone to understand the app and the basic flight controls. Adding the beacon with the phone to increase range, play with the wand feature and try some tracking features. Then adding the controller when I just want to fly around and explore with greater range.

In the end it doesn't really matter if it's the beacon or controller you use first. It's two different devices that can't be used at the same time so each will have a different learning curve
My comment was « if you are already used to fly with a controller »..of course if thé S2 is your first drone the learning process is different. For me since I already own a drone, flying with a controlier is much more easy.

Sorry, by the time I finished reading the thread I forget the title. The IF statement wasn't very clear in your post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup