Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio2: 3D modeling without a flight App.

Thank you very much. It is time consuming, but with each project (I'm just doing this for fun to learn more about it.) I get better and faster. Your right about the trees being a big challenge. They require one to shoot a lot more photos because they hide portions of the environment from many viewing angles. I personally like flying the Skydio2 to capture the images because I have more confidence flying closer to the trees with the controller. Adding the hand held camera photos helps improve the model too. While I could use the Skydio2 for those pictures, it's hard to capture them with the drone due to having only three S2 batteries. Glad you like the work and thanks for your comment.
Great Model and insights - have you by chance used an alternative drone (Phantom, Mavic) around the house. Im interested in any potential differences in the clarity or resolution.

Great Model and insights - have you by chance used an alternative drone (Phantom, Mavic) around the house. Im interested in any potential differences in the clarity or resolution.
Thank you. My son has a Mavic Pro that we have flown to capture data to create models on several occasions. The image quality from that older (about 3-4 years older than the Skydio2) was clearly inferior. I didn't think the images were as sharp, and the JPG files and videos had many more compression artifacts. That said, the Mavic Pro and many other drones can certainly be used to create nice 3D models. In my opinion I believe the Skydio2 has one of, if not the best 12MP camera of any drone. That said, other differences like the focal length (as relates to the angular field of view) of the camera affect how you fly and shoot for modeling. I think the Skydio2 is really good for modeling smaller objects up close and modeling regions generally up to 10-20 acres. I recently modeled my neighborhood of 170 acres using only nadir shots with minimal overlap at 250ft AGL. It was challenging to do it in 4 flights and the sun shifted in that time. I know this goes a bit beyond the scope of your question, but there are many factors to consider in choosing "the best" drone for mapping. Hope this helps.

Thank you. My son has a Mavic Pro that we have flown to capture data to create models on several occasions. The image quality from that older (about 3-4 years older than the Skydio2) was clearly inferior. I didn't think the images were as sharp, and the JPG files and videos had many more compression artifacts. That said, the Mavic Pro and many other drones can certainly be used to create nice 3D models. In my opinion I believe the Skydio2 has one of, if not the best 12MP camera of any drone. That said, other differences like the focal length (as relates to the angular field of view) of the camera affect how you fly and shoot for modeling. I think the Skydio2 is really good for modeling smaller objects up close and modeling regions generally up to 10-20 acres. I recently modeled my neighborhood of 170 acres using only nadir shots with minimal overlap at 250ft AGL. It was challenging to do it in 4 flights and the sun shifted in that time. I know this goes a bit beyond the scope of your question, but there are many factors to consider in choosing "the best" drone for mapping. Hope this helps.
Thanks for replying - interesting that your experience is the DJI small form cameras are lower quality - I have Inspire 2 and M210 with X4S and X5S and Phantom 4 Pro and not the smaller platforms and appreciate your insights. Im looking at Skydio for the automation on construction and in or around plant and civil structures. It is hard to get details on the software side - but you said you use Agisoft.

Hey guys! Skydio 2 pilot here… if I waited 2 weeks I’d be a skydio2+ pilot 🤬lol

I’m pretty new and really just need some help. Facebook and Reddit have got me nowhere.

I’ll explain where I’m at. I want to do orthos and 3D models, and survey. My problem is that I’ve already put in so much money, I don’t have anymore for these programs like pix4D or the dronedeploy type apps. I’ve tried the more affordable ways like webODM and they take too much time. I also only have a MacBook Air to do all this on.

Could you guys give me some ideas on which way I should go with what I have now. A few people have told me I need to sell the MacBook Air and get a windows computer that can handle processing. I really don’t want to do that but I will if I have too. Do y’all know what flight apps and photogrammetry programs work best with the skydio2 and work on apple products.

Also, on 3D models, it only uses pictures right?

Anyways, hope to hear back and might have a couple more questions if y’all don’t mind.

Ohh!! Also, I had a huge problem with the drone deploy app both times I used it. I would pick out my flight plan and then connect my skydio to my phone. It would show the drone connected fine and I set it to go. After about ten feet in the air the app says it lost connection with camera/drone and can’t continue mission. It cuts connection to the drone and I lose all control of the drone. I can’t reconnect from my phone because it’s not in reach and nothing on the drone deploy app works. It goes and does the mission I picked while I piss my pants waiting for it. It actually comes back after and lands but I’m breaking part 107 rules, it’s dangerous, and I’m risking my drone. That was the only flight app that works for my skydio that I know of, that’s one thing I need help finding or at least figure out what I’m doing wrong with drone deploys flight app

I’m pretty new and really just need some help. Facebook and Reddit have got me nowhere.

I’ll explain where I’m at. I want to do orthos and 3D models, and survey. My problem is that I’ve already put in so much money, I don’t have anymore for these programs like pix4D or the dronedeploy type apps. I’ve tried the more affordable ways like webODM and they take too much time. I also only have a MacBook Air to do all this on.

Could you guys give me some ideas on which way I should go with what I have now. A few people have told me I need to sell the MacBook Air and get a windows computer that can handle processing. I really don’t want to do that but I will if I have too. Do y’all know what flight apps and photogrammetry programs work best with the skydio2 and work on apple products.

Anyways, hope to hear back and might have a couple more questions if y’all don’t mind.
Processing imagery to create orthomosaics and 3D models by necessity requires quite a bit of computation.
There are multiple businesses that offer cloud computing options for this, but many/most require monthly or yearly subscriptions.
Various software packages are available for Windows/Mac/Linux. Some you buy outright and others like Reality capture can be used by instead paying with each dataset you process and export (I believe it's windows only though).
Personally I have the most experience using Agisoft Metashape standard edition on a Windows machine (though I think there is also a version for Mac). It's quite capable of doing what I need, but its probably missing a lot of features one would want if they are a professional offering drone imaging services. Please keep in mind that even if you get software for a home computer you will probably need at least 32/64Gb of RAM and a video card with GPU processing capability (because of the amount of required computation).
Hope this helps!

Reactions: RiverEagle
Processing imagery to create orthomosaics and 3D models by necessity requires quite a bit of computation.
There are multiple businesses that offer cloud computing options for this, but many/most require monthly or yearly subscriptions.
Various software packages are available for Windows/Mac/Linux. Some you buy outright and others like Reality capture can be used by instead paying with each dataset you process and export (I believe it's windows only though).
Personally I have the most experience using Agisoft Metashape standard edition on a Windows machine (though I think there is also a version for Mac). It's quite capable of doing what I need, but its probably missing a lot of features one would want if they are a professional offering drone imaging services. Please keep in mind that even if you get software for a home computer you will probably need at least 32/64Gb of RAM and a video card with GPU processing capability (because of the amount of required computation).
Hope this helps!
I just purchased a 16 inch MacBook Pro

16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
MBP 16.2 SG/16C GPU/16GB/1T-USA

Models use pics only (lots of them). WEBODM is the best in house option by far. The only reason time would be a factor is if your computer is slow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr