Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Video "wiggles" ?

DrKnome

Reaction score
Not sure how to explain this.

My Skydio 2 is 2.5 years old. Never crashed it, it is always worked great. I mostly fly it with the controller.

I had not used it in 6 or so months. I updated the software/firmware recently, and took some video yesterday.

All my video has some horizontal "wiggles" as if it is correctly for some motion artifact? I'm totally guessing. It happens on both the 4K and 1080p settings. I've never seen my video do this before. I went out this afternoon -- cleaned all the cameras with lens cloth,and did some test flights to recreate. It is as if parts of the picture are on a bowl of Jello being shaken.

Here is an example ->
(note: view in full screen mode)

Take a look for example at the trees in the bottom of the video as the Skydio is ascending or the creek in the center of the video after the ascent. It is as if they are jiggling in a horizontal direction.

Has anyone ever seen these kind of artifacts -- could this simply be the result of a firmware issue?

Any advice is appreciated. Obviously, this is much less apparent when the Skydio is moving, especially at speed.

Update -- revised the link to Imgur.

Last edited:
Not sure how to explain this.

My Skydio 2 is 2.5 years old. Never crashed it, it is always worked great. I mostly fly it with the controller.

I had not used it in 6 or so months. I updated the software/firmware recently, and took some video yesterday.

All my video has some horizontal "wiggles" as if it is correctly for some motion artifact? I'm totally guessing. It happens on both the 4K and 1080p settings. I've never seen my video do this before. I went out this afternoon -- cleaned all the cameras with lens cloth,and did some test flights to recreate. It is as if parts of the picture are on a bowl of Jello being shaken.

Here is an example ->
(note: view in full screen mode)

Take a look for example at the trees in the bottom of the video as the Skydio is ascending or the creek in the center of the video after the ascent. It is as if they are jiggling in a horizontal direction.

Has anyone ever seen these kind of artifacts -- could this simply be the result of a firmware issue?

Any advice is appreciated. Obviously, this is much less apparent when the Skydio is moving, especially at speed.

Update -- revised the link to Imgur.
That's weird. I would venture it's one of two things:
  1. The hardware has an issue where it's not able to read the camera sensor as quickly as it should, so you're getting weird image artifacts. This is the classic jello issue you see in movement on digital cameras, though it usually requires faster speeds and happens in one direction.
  2. The unit itself has an electronics issue and is unable to physically balance itself properly, and is vibrating so fast back and forth that it's causing #1 to happen.
Both issues would require Skydio to service it; I'd send them the clip to see what they say. It may be neither of the two above and they have a quick fix.

I found online this jello effect happens with drones (not just Skydio) for a range of reasons, mostly related to imbalance for mechanical or electrical/computational reasons, and the samping rate of the CCD. I replaced the two propellers that had a few nicks (did not look significant, but just being prudent!) Problem persisted.

I contacted Skydio support. they suggested (they always say this) I upgrade my firmware to the latest version (I was one behind). And that I follow that up with a hard reset (they sent instructions).

I'm out of town for several weeks and have not had time to do the hard reset yet but will try that when I return.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals