Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

4K60? Insane rendering times.

AntDX316

Reaction score
A good video is usually supposed to be only 2 minutes long at most but we all like to make it as long as possible.

17 minutes for 4K60 for me is around 45 minutes. This was with 1 battery. Now that I have 2 it would double to 2 hours and a half.. Of course, when you switch locations, take-off and land that already eats 10% battery right there every new location.

I just think it would be so much work to carry more than 2 batteries. People just cut it down to 1080p60 or even 1080p30 but the quality is nowhere near as good.

How many batteries do you guys have or going to have for your Skydio 2?

I fly with 4 batteries and use all 4 almost every time I take the drone out, anything less and it's not worth dragging the drone out on the motorcycle. Like any video, not all the drone footage is usable, typically I use 1 min out of every 5 min of filming. more if it's really good scenery. All my filming is in 4K/60. Just to add to that there a hero 8 Black running at 4K/60 with the mondo battery that runs all day on a 256G card.. It's nothing to come home with 200G of video. I only import what I want to use, it's pretty easy with FCP to scrub the video looking for usable stuff. As for a good video only being 2 min long I'm not sure where you heard that, YT will recommend longer videos with appropriate viewer times more often than short ones. Yes there's lots of viewers who want a quick vid, they aren't my audience. You really don't want to cut it down to 1080P if picture quality is important to you, 1080P has decent quality but YT most often uses the AVC1 codec to render anything 1080P and below. AVC1 sucks, you want the VP09 Codec that always comes with anything higher than 1080P (occasionally you'll see it on 1080P vids). To see what codec you ended up with, while the video is playing , right click in the video and select stats for nerds, in there it will say ether AVC1 or VP09 . If you are hosting your vids somewhere else like Vimeo then disregard everything above.

I fly with 4 batteries and use all 4 almost every time I take the drone out, anything less and it's not worth dragging the drone out on the motorcycle. Like any video, not all the drone footage is usable, typically I use 1 min out of every 5 min of filming. more if it's really good scenery. All my filming is in 4K/60. Just to add to that there a hero 8 Black running at 4K/60 with the mondo battery that runs all day on a 256G card.. It's nothing to come home with 200G of video. I only import what I want to use, it's pretty easy with FCP to scrub the video looking for usable stuff. As for a good video only being 2 min long I'm not sure where you heard that, YT will recommend longer videos with appropriate viewer times more often than short ones. Yes there's lots of viewers who want a quick vid, they aren't my audience. You really don't want to cut it down to 1080P if picture quality is important to you, 1080P has decent quality but YT most often uses the AVC1 codec to render anything 1080P and below. AVC1 sucks, you want the VP09 Codec that always comes with anything higher than 1080P (occasionally you'll see it on 1080P vids). To see what codec you ended up with, while the video is playing , right click in the video and select stats for nerds, in there it will say ether AVC1 or VP09 . If you are hosting your vids somewhere else like Vimeo then disregard everything above.

I use Vimeo for bigger videos. I have 3 Batteries on the P4PV2.0 and do C4K60. At night it's really good but the Skydio 2 just seems like a hassle probably because I have to watch it all the time though I should just let it do its thing.

Reactions: Ridefreak

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup