Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

American Drone Manufactures

Brian

Reaction score
Besides Skydio (not selling to consumers anymore) is there any other American drone manufacture?

Reactions: KlubMarcus
I asked ChatGPT:

Q: What are the top 10 American drone manufacturers?

A: As of my last update in September 2021, several American companies were leading the drone industry, manufacturing drones for various applications ranging from consumer photography to military defense. Here's a list of top American drone manufacturers:

1. **AeroVironment** - Primarily focused on producing drones for military applications, they have been a longstanding partner with the U.S. Department of Defense.

2. **General Atomics Aeronautical Systems** - Well-known for their Predator and Reaper drones, they're a major provider of drones for the U.S. military.

3. **Skydio** - Originally known for their obstacle-avoidance technology, Skydio has grown in popularity for both their consumer and enterprise offerings.

4. **Lockheed Martin** - A major defense contractor, they produce the Desert Hawk and other UAVs for the military.

5. **Northrop Grumman** - Another defense contractor that produces drones like the Global Hawk.

6. **3D Robotics (3DR)** - Initially they started as a consumer drone maker but have since pivoted to providing enterprise solutions and software for drone data analytics.

7. **Insitu (a subsidiary of Boeing)** - They produce drones like the ScanEagle, which is widely used by the U.S. Navy and other international customers.

8. **Kratos Defense & Security Solutions** - They specialize in high-performance, jet-powered UAVs that can simulate enemy missiles and aircraft.

9. **Alta Devices** - While not a drone maker per se, they specialize in producing solar technology that's used to power high-altitude, long-endurance (HALE) drones.

10. **L3Harris Technologies** - They've produced various UAV systems and solutions, especially for defense applications.

Please note that the drone industry is rapidly evolving, with new entrants, mergers, and technological developments. It's always a good idea to check the latest industry reports for the most up-to-date list and rankings.

I asked ChatGPT:

Q: What are the top 10 American drone manufacturers?

A: As of my last update in September 2021, several American companies were leading the drone industry, manufacturing drones for various applications ranging from consumer photography to military defense. Here's a list of top American drone manufacturers:

1. **AeroVironment** - Primarily focused on producing drones for military applications, they have been a longstanding partner with the U.S. Department of Defense.

2. **General Atomics Aeronautical Systems** - Well-known for their Predator and Reaper drones, they're a major provider of drones for the U.S. military.

3. **Skydio** - Originally known for their obstacle-avoidance technology, Skydio has grown in popularity for both their consumer and enterprise offerings.

4. **Lockheed Martin** - A major defense contractor, they produce the Desert Hawk and other UAVs for the military.

5. **Northrop Grumman** - Another defense contractor that produces drones like the Global Hawk.

6. **3D Robotics (3DR)** - Initially they started as a consumer drone maker but have since pivoted to providing enterprise solutions and software for drone data analytics.

7. **Insitu (a subsidiary of Boeing)** - They produce drones like the ScanEagle, which is widely used by the U.S. Navy and other international customers.

8. **Kratos Defense & Security Solutions** - They specialize in high-performance, jet-powered UAVs that can simulate enemy missiles and aircraft.

9. **Alta Devices** - While not a drone maker per se, they specialize in producing solar technology that's used to power high-altitude, long-endurance (HALE) drones.

10. **L3Harris Technologies** - They've produced various UAV systems and solutions, especially for defense applications.

Please note that the drone industry is rapidly evolving, with new entrants, mergers, and technological developments. It's always a good idea to check the latest industry reports for the most up-to-date list and rankings.
I wonder why Skydio just didn't spin off the consumer part of the business.

• Love
Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer Skydio shifted their focus. But you can still check out Autel Robotics. They make some cool drones right here in the USA.

The Autel looks like a nice drone with some pretty good specs, For my use I wish it tracked subjects better.

Autel is indeed nice stuff, was my second choice of drones if I didn't go with Skydio, DJI was 3rd, Parrot 4th.
I hope Skydio reverses it's course in the consumer market someday,
Unfortunately by the time they change their mind, they will have lost all few advantages they had in the consumer market to DJI unless they decide to sell those fancy X-drones to the consumer.

The Autel looks like a nice drone with some pretty good specs, For my use I wish it tracked subjects better.
Does Autel require the controller for tracking? One of the reason I really love Skydio is beacon + phone for audio. DJI was always a pain for me cause I'd have to drop the controller in the dirt while I ride the dirtbike then rush back to it.

• Sad
Does Autel require the controller for tracking? One of the reason I really love Skydio is beacon + phone for audio. DJI was always a pain for me cause I'd have to drop the controller in the dirt while I ride the dirtbike then rush back to it.
I doubt it has a tether but I didn't even check. I agree, a controller is pointless for many activities, inc most of mine.

Yep, Skydio switching gears was a bummer. But you can still check out Autel Robotics and their EVO series. They're based in the USA and make some solid drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals