Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Another S2 range test

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
All I can say in order not to upset local groupies is that I couldn't do any better neither....

Reactions: ThomasH
It sure looks like Skydio's S2 "updated" range is no where near the advertised 3.5km range.

Considering that the antenna in the S2 is ideal only in one direction of flight and the that the antenna in the remote is not improved from the old Parrot Anafi design its a real mystery how Skydio can claim such a range.

Antenna orientations are EVERYTHING and Skydio misses the boat in both areas.

Coincidentally another video posted today. Disconnected after 450m in fairly normal environment, on top of everything the app crashed twice (iPhone 11 Pro Max)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: richinAZ
Watching the video gives hints to why the S2 may be disconnecting and the app crashing.

Am beginning more and more to think that "both" problems are both heat related and antenna related problems.

Given the amount of processing power that's called upon for this drone to do everything properly it must be pretty close to exceeding its safe operating temperature.

Flying multiple flights (especially in warm climates) and not allowing the drone to adequately cool down seems to be asking for problems.

P.S. It'll be interesting to hear the outcome of his report to Skydio.

Reactions: Portolo
^ No reason for the app to crash even if the drone overheated.
Quite opposite it should take control even more, and report unsafe vehicle flying temperature.
Doubt this was heat related.

Last edited:
There's a reason that heat dissipation is crucial in all newer high processing electronic circuits ... feel free to believe what you want.

Skydio knew the drawbacks of excess heat but elected to release the S2 anyway.

We'll see if disconnect/app problems increase or decrease during the upcoming colder winter months.

There's a reason that heat dissipation is crucial in all newer high processing electronic circuits ... feel free to believe what you want.

Skydio knew the drawbacks of excess heat but elected to release the S2 anyway.

We'll see if disconnect/app problems increase or decrease during the upcoming colder winter months.
Obviously
So, app crashes on the phone to cool down vehicle in the air ....OK then ?

It sure looks like Skydio's S2 "updated" range is no where near the advertised 3.5km range.

Considering that the antenna in the S2 is ideal only in one direction of flight and the that the antenna in the remote is not improved from the old Parrot Anafi design its a real mystery how Skydio can claim such a range.

Antenna orientations are EVERYTHING and Skydio misses the boat in both areas.
I agree. I can not get out over 1000 feet or so and I get a "lost signal" warning and it says it is returning to home. That sucks.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
I've had the app crash once or twice, but not really related to range. Since this is a wi-fi link, perhaps if your phone is connected directly to the drone, then MAYBE that could cause the app to freak out...but probably not.

I've modified my controller, but it wasn't worth the added bulk. As soon as the drone turns around, it's came over. Rear-facing antenna only, I suppose. I would be very interested in adding something to the outside, like the X2.

I've had the app crash once or twice, but not really related to range. Since this is a wi-fi link, perhaps if your phone is connected directly to the drone, then MAYBE that could cause the app to freak out...but probably not.

I've modified my controller, but it wasn't worth the added bulk. As soon as the drone turns around, it's came over. Rear-facing antenna only, I suppose. I would be very interested in adding something to the outside, like the X2.
Can you share a link from the X2 that describes the "something" added to the outside of the X2?

That's QUITE a something.... the X2 somehow gets around the limitations the S2 has that prevent it from having anything external that might interfere with its OA optical cameras.
Seems easy enough to use the triple camera setup and map out where the antennas would be -- then negate that section. E.G. it's all in the software.

If it were that simple Skydio could have "also" easily done something similar on the S2.

Sacrificing good WiFi and also the option to add landing gear legs (for the same reason) couldn't have been an easy choice to make.

If it were that simple Skydio could have "also" easily done something similar on the S2.

Sacrificing good WiFi and also the option to add landing gear legs (for the same reason) couldn't have been an easy choice to make.
It's quite obvious that their lab tests did not account for real-world range performance, otherwise they would have probably gone with an external aerial on the S2 as well. From what I can tell the two drones are very similar. If the software can handle it on X2, then surely so can the former.

I'm not saying the programming is 'easy,' but when you compare it relatively to everything else the camera/avoidance system is doing, it's not exactly rocket science. Skydio already has a static 'map' of the drone itself it sees with all its cameras. I'd be willing to bet it's a bit adaptive as well. Meaning if you stuck a lego on the battery I have a feeling it would still work. It can tell what is moving with, and without the drone.

You maybe right but I think they purposefully made this trade off to get to market as quickly as possible with an eye catching price point.

If you've ever worked in manufacturing you can appreciate the importance of freezing a design to allow production lines to come up to speed to meet anticipated orders.

Getting their first product to perform really well was ALSO obviously crucial to opening up markets with 1st responders and the US government.

You maybe right but I think they purposefully made this trade off to get to market as quickly as possible with an eye catching price point.

If you've ever worked in manufacturing you can appreciate the importance of freezing a design to allow production lines to come up to speed to meet anticipated orders.

Getting their first product to perform really well was ALSO obviously crucial to opening up markets with 1st responders and the US government.
Oh, I can definitely understand WHY they did what they did. Sacrifices must be made, corners must be cut, sometimes to meet certain goals.

The main point of my post was whether or not it's feasible to add something external. Perhaps a ribbon cable can be slipped inside, with external antenna, etc.

I'm guessing that however good the Skydio design team were, they weren't up to speed on the finer points of antenna designs and the pitfalls involved with choosing one design over another. That was apparent late last year when it became known that Skydio was looking for a antenna designer to join their team.

I've personally been amazed what goes into a good antenna design (have only scratched the surface) and can see why they needed outside help.

I'm guessing that however good the Skydio design team were, they weren't up to speed on the finer points of antenna designs and the pitfalls involved with choosing one design over another. That was apparent late last year when it became known that Skydio was looking for a antenna designer to join their team.

I've personally been amazed what goes into a good antenna design (have only scratched the surface) and can see why they needed outside help.
Yep this stuff isn't easy...and I don't think anyone would even give them grief, but the listing is STILL a blatant lie. There's no way around it, and they haven't bothered to address it or modify the specifications. Not sure what to can be said about that aspect. Really indefensible.

Like the old expression says.... Caveat Emptor

We all make buying decisions based on perceptions of whats most personally important.... in this case we've just come to different conclusions.

I'm walking away from further comments....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup