Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Anyone carrying S2 on a dirt bike

dmac1

Reaction score
I've been carrying S2 in its case inside a Camelbak, but deploying and stowing requires taking off and donning the pack, so, for an upcoming multi-day ride, I'm contemplating the possibility of carrying it in a dry bag lashed to the rear fender.

However, I have concerns about the amount of vibration the drone will receive in rocky terrain.

So, wondering if anyone else has tried this and how the drone fared?

The S2's case has cutouts so that nothing rubs the cameras, and the S2 fits in the case pretty tightly, but I'm thinking that after 600 miles or so of rocky terrain, it won't be so snug, I've considered adding some small bubble wrap to the inside of the top lid to help hold it a little tighter, but even if its snug as a bug, the rear fender will impart constant shaking to the drone.

So, I'm thinking the safest tact is the drone in my Camelbak, but wish there was a better way.

I carry mine in its case along with my mavic all ntidy like in a backpack that opens like a suitcase would. strap it all down on pilon seat. Multi day camping trips it fits well. Course my ride is a KTM 1190 so lots of seat room. I use the original casre they sold me with the logo on it (not thier large pelican like case but the one that holds the drone and two batters) so its plenty safe from the gentle laydown of a bike. Experinced this and have flown since the incident.

Reactions: dmac1
I've been carrying S2 in its case inside a Camelbak, but deploying and stowing requires taking off and donning the pack, so, for an upcoming multi-day ride, I'm contemplating the possibility of carrying it in a dry bag lashed to the rear fender.

However, I have concerns about the amount of vibration the drone will receive in rocky terrain.

So, wondering if anyone else has tried this and how the drone fared?

The S2's case has cutouts so that nothing rubs the cameras, and the S2 fits in the case pretty tightly, but I'm thinking that after 600 miles or so of rocky terrain, it won't be so snug, I've considered adding some small bubble wrap to the inside of the top lid to help hold it a little tighter, but even if its snug as a bug, the rear fender will impart constant shaking to the drone.

So, I'm thinking the safest tact is the drone in my Camelbak, but wish there was a better way.
I often carry one strapped on the adv bike with no problems but I would hesitate to mount it on the DS bike riding off road in the Rockies or Utah, it's going to be subjected to allot more jarring impacts on a dirtbike then on the adv bike, I'd be worrying about damaging it the whole ride.

When I've used it on that platform I keep the drone in its case in a backpack. On a long (er) trip on that bike I'd put the batteries in a saddle bag to lessen the weight on my back. The drone alone with only it's case isn't very heavy by itself. If I was to roll the dice and carry it that way it'd have a few layers of bubble wrap surrounding the top and bottom of the case.

Unfortunately nobody can tell you with any certainty if carrying it that way will hurt it or not, too many variables, it could work fine for one user and not for another. Something as simple as a ribbon connector coming loose will likely cost at least $150 to get fixed, possibly more unless you got them to cover it under warranty.

Where are ya headed? I'll be out in SW UT next month for a few days on the big bikes with the drone along.

I often carry one strapped on the adv bike with no problems but I would hesitate to mount it on the DS bike riding off road in the Rockies or Utah, it's going to be subjected to allot more jarring impacts on a dirtbike then on the adv bike, I'd be worrying about damaging it the whole ride.

When I've used it on that platform I keep the drone in its case in a backpack. On a long (er) trip on that bike I'd put the batteries in a saddle bag to lessen the weight on my back. The drone alone with only it's case isn't very heavy by itself. If I was to roll the dice and carry it that way it'd have a few layers of bubble wrap surrounding the top and bottom of the case.

Unfortunately nobody can tell you with any certainty if carrying it that way will hurt it or not, too many variables, it could work fine for one user and not for another. Something as simple as a ribbon connector coming loose will likely cost at least $150 to get fixed, possibly more unless you got them to cover it under warranty.

Where are ya headed? I'll be out in SW UT next month for a few days on the big bikes with the drone along.
Yeah, you echo my concerns. I'd really like to have it in its case on the rear fender and be able to deploy it quickly. Not gonna happen though. I'll use saddlebags to make more room in my camelbak so its easier to pull it out and put it back. I've got a dry bag from my GL Coyote that fits the case pretty well, and will take something for the beacon and phone in the event the weather gets threatening.

Trip is to Idaho. A friend planned it out...we're gonna ride some TOI, including some of the easier ST sections such as Grand Prize Gulch. Its a DS ride, with a base out of a cabin, so we'll be doing loops and not hafta carry all our camping gear, food, etc.

Dunno if you know, I sold my 2006 450 EXC and bought a 2022 500 EXC. This will be its first real ride.

Reactions: Ridefreak
I carry mine in backpack on moto. I ride a lot of whooped singletrack, hard Enduro stuff I wouldn't want to subject my drone to. Plus I bail a lot. 😝

With that said, I put it in the factory case in dry bag and carry it on my snowmobile tunnel all season, two seasons probably 20+ filming days and it's fine. Snowmobile trails can be whoops for miles, I mostly ride mountain so I try to avoid them but sure it's been back there on my tunnel for 100s miles of bumpy trails.

Sounds like a great ride Dave, I hope you get some nice SD2 video. Congrats on the new EXC-F, they're pretty sweet machines.

I'd been carrying my Skydio over my Ogio riding vest in small Osprey pack. We'll my wife picked me up this Ogio Husky branded pack for my birthday, fits Skydio perfectly. Plus I like that the water bladder pocket is insulated. When I ride in the high desert I tend to fill my bladder with ice so my water stays cool, sometimes I sneak a beer in there as well. Looking forward to shedding the extra pack and trying this one out..20210901_154847.jpg

20210901_154905.jpg

Reactions: Ridefreak
I have traveled with my Skydio in the hard-shell case strapped to the back of my dual sport bike (KLR650) about 2,000 miles. I traveled about 60% off road. After returning from one of my trips the gimble started malfunctioning. I’m assuming it was from the vibration. It has been returned to Skydio for repairs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup