Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

baksideDisaster 2022/23 Winter Shredding Episodes!

baksideDisasterFlicks

Reaction score
2022/23 Winter Season has officially kicked off! We had first backcountry snowboarding session with 4 FEET of fresh powder! Yewww!

Stay tuned to this thread for future episodes!

I Wish I could ski that area again. Learned to ski at Alpental. Haven't been back since '75.

Looks like the skydio was heading for the snow at the end. I'm sure it recovered in its usual way.

I Wish I could ski that area again. Learned to ski at Alpental. Haven't been back since '75.

Looks like the skydio was heading for the snow at the end. I'm sure it recovered in its usual way.
Yeah I had beacon and dropped in over the ridge, it didn't do great job of changing elevation so almost ran into the ground then abruptly stopped. Worst part about snowboarding with Skydio it's prone to getting messed up on radical pitch and elevation changes. In this instance it disconnected and got stuck there. I had to jump on my sled run back up the hill to reconnect.

Reactions: DrtBkDav
I have only tried the Skydio while skiing a few times. It got stuck once behind me but I was able to "wand" it back. . After that, I had it lead me. It seemed to do better and I have so far never had to walk back up for it.

Europe has pretty strict rules about drones that I haven't quite got the hang of yet. So I've only been brave enough to use the Skydio when I am "out of bounds". It's probly the same in US as well over ski areas. The only snowmobiles I have seen all belong to the ski areas. I have never seen anyone out with a sled for recreation in Austria, Switzerland or Germany. I don't think its allowed. I need to buy some back country touring gear to use my drone more.

I have only tried the Skydio while skiing a few times. It got stuck once behind me but I was able to "wand" it back. . After that, I had it lead me. It seemed to do better and I have so far never had to walk back up for it.

Europe has pretty strict rules about drones that I haven't quite got the hang of yet. So I've only been brave enough to use the Skydio when I am "out of bounds". It's probly the same in US as well over ski areas. The only snowmobiles I have seen all belong to the ski areas. I have never seen anyone out with a sled for recreation in Austria, Switzerland or Germany. I don't think its allowed. I need to buy some back country touring gear to use my drone more.
Yep Skydio seems to get stuck a lot when I try to film snowboarding. I did some experiment on Sunday and put the beacon on the back of my backpack instead of in my pocket, seemed to work better but I'm not sure since sometimes it's great, other times it sucks. The run before with it in my pocket it disconnected twice though and we rode a similar aspect.

I need to experiment more but I always have fear it's stuck above me and I can't get back to it in time and tries to land in the snow somewhere unexpected. I had a really close call last season. I was flying with controller tracking a buddy when it got stuck in trees and immediately disconnected. Luckily I could ride down to retrieve it but still was bit of fumbling around to find what trees it was stuck in once I reconnected. I managed to regain connection at the last moment and got it to my hand with like 10% battery left. I was freaking out.

And yeah drones aren't legal at any ski resorts I've been to on the US West coast. I'm always filming in the backcountry.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrtBkDav
Couple new episodes out, this one I got a bunch of Skydio shots. Little bummed on the prop wash, generally when I film fixed track I don't get any. First flight out for me on most recent firmware, maybe something changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES