Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Beacon: Target lock, Dronie, and other issues with examples

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
As discussed before the Dronie angle makes it to look more like the Rocket shot.
Target lost at the end of it, beacon was used but had to whip out the phone to move the drone back to position so it can find me again. In second Dronie return back notice the choppy yaw, but it kept lock on target fine :)
Last is jerkiness using Vortex, there was nothing behind the drone so there was no reason to go back and forth on the distance from the subject.
FW 6.0.41

More examples of strange behavior described in this post by VEGASROBBIE

Last edited:
As discussed before the Dronie angle makes it to look more like the Rocket shot.
Target lost at the end of it, beacon was used but had to whip out the phone to move the drone back to position so it can find me again. In second Dronie return back notice the choppy yaw, but it kept lock on target fine :)
Last is jerkiness using Vortex, there was nothing behind the drone so there was no reason to go back and forth on the distance from the subject.
FW 6.0.41

Looks like maybe long and frequent tree shadows along your path may have made it hard for the S2 to keep locked on you.

Time of day in the Dronie wasn't really that good... may have contributed to it losing lock.

Probably less important was the fact that the S2 had to constantly distinguish which of the three moving targets was the target of choice.

Looks like maybe long and frequent tree shadows along your path may have made it hard for the S2 to keep locked on you.

Time of day in the Dronie wasn't really that good... may have contributed to it losing lock.

Probably less important was the fact that the S2 had to constantly distinguish which of the three moving targets was the target of choice.
C'mon, seriously? In the first example it just turned away for no reason and complete opposite of subjects travel direction.

I'm sure you seen this footage, same problem at the end of it wher it would not lock on the subject again

Last edited:
FW 6.0.41

I got the same problem ! I tought it was me.

Reactions: Lifeisfun
I think the 'problem' here is your starting point and the fact that you are moving. You start the dronie with the drone flying in front of you and in close proximity and relatively high. In order to keep you in view while you are even walking towards the drone, it has no other choice than to go up. You should try to start the dronie when it is flying low, so the angle of the line from the dron to you and ground level is already small. Then the drone will fly more away from you.
Or to put it different. If that angle is already almost perpendicular to earth, the drone will move up. If it is more parallel to earth, it will move away from you.

I think the 'problem' here is your starting point and the fact that you are moving. You start the dronie with the drone flying in front of you and in close proximity and relatively high. In order to keep you in view while you are even walking towards the drone, it has no other choice than to go up. You should try to start the dronie when it is flying low, so the angle of the line from the dron to you and ground level is already small. Then the drone will fly more away from you.
Or to put it different. If that angle is already almost perpendicular to earth, the drone will move up. If it is more parallel to earth, it will move away from you.
I don't think that's the problem, got plenty of examples where it acts the same way using non moving subject.
The angle the Dronie shot is filmed is way too steep, so it rarely catches the horizon even on flat ground.
Same problem with the tracking, just see the many examples on YT.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE ULTIMATE FANBOYS:
"WE" (people who dare to question the performance) also spent our money on this drone and "WE" have no reason to complain without merit. Want to make it better for all, nothing else.

See here 3:10 how subject is lost on white surface

Last edited:
In that video you make a dronie with the drone in front of you while moving forward. It makes sense that it films you top down then, because you yourself move under the drone.
I have no trouble making good dronies:

In that video you make a dronie with the drone in front of you while moving forward. It makes sense that it films you top down then, because you yourself move under the drone.
I have no trouble making good dronies:
Dronie started in the front of the subject, that was moving 5km/h, the drone can do close to 60km/h so there is no reason why it should not be able to catch up with ease and calculate the proper pitch to do the shot right.
Just see how short was the distance we walked in duration of the Dronie shot.

DISCLAIMER FOR THE ULTIMATE FANBOYS:
"WE" (people who dare to question the performance) also spent our money on this drone and "WE" have no reason to complain without merit. Want to make it better for all, nothing else.
Me thinks there actually is another reason you're always complaining... <GRIN>

Dronie

That's true. The drone is capable of doing many, many more things that are not programmed into it yet. But not having something you would like it to do is not: 'having issues'. It's just something you would like it to do, but it doesn't do (yet). I have many wishes for the Skydio 2 like that.

Dronie started in the front of the subject, that was moving 5km/h, the drone can do close to 60km/h so there is no reason why it should not be able to catch up with ease and calculate the proper pitch to do the shot right.
Just see how short was the distance we walked in duration of the Dronie shot.

That's true. The drone is capable of doing many, many more things that are not programmed into it yet. But not having something you would like it to do is not: 'having issues'. It's just something you would like it to do, but it doesn't do (yet). I have many wishes for the Skydio 2 like that.
I'll suggest you let them know since close to 6 months later and no new features added and improvements are minimal. I understand they concentrate on commercial operation requests but we should get some bone as well.

noyag,

Doesn't hurt to express your wishes ... how quickly Skydio issues software updates means they are listening to their customers.

Another Rocket and Dronie that didn't workout all that well

That was at the end of the flight so I landed it afterwards. I usually ride until I notice the battery warning and if enough time is left I do a skill if I think about it. I've had it do a nearly vertical dronie before, not as steep as yours but very much like a rocket.

Reactions: Lifeisfun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup