Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Best Phone for Skydio 2

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Debating what phone/model to use with my Batch 3 S2.
Any recommendations?
Are both Android and iOS phones equally easy to use?

It seems that most DJI apps have less issues on Apple IOS than on Android. Iphone 11 has the brightest screen.

When using an IOS device the controller battery life is significantly longer than with an android, kinda weird and I'm not sure why but it's listed on the specs. That being said it works great with my Pixel 3 which is a great phone.

It seems that most DJI apps have less issues on Apple IOS than on Android. Iphone 11 has the brightest screen.
Since I'm walking away from anything DJI related, I'm only really concerned with how well the new phone works with the Skydio 2 app.

A new phone would need to have a screen brightness capable of near or above 1500 nits.

When using an IOS device the controller battery life is significantly longer than with an android, kinda weird and I'm not sure why but it's listed on the specs. That being said it works great with my Pixel 3 which is a great phone.
The controller battery life you're referring to is for the Skydio 2 (S2) controller, right?
What specific phones have you tested using the S2 and about how many hours does each phone last before it must be recharged?

The controller battery life you're referring to is for the Skydio 2 (S2) controller, right?
What specific phones have you tested using the S2 and about how many hours does each phone last before it must be recharged?
No testing, I got that info from the specs on their site. It's for the controller, not the Beacon or the App.

I've only flown with an android phone using the app.

From Skydio Website-
BATTERY LIFE
2h30 (Android)
5h30 (iOS)

Last edited:
Since I'm walking away from anything DJI related, I'm only really concerned with how well the new phone works with the Skydio 2 app.

A new phone would need to have a screen brightness capable of near or above 1500 nits.
I think you are going to have a hard time finding a phone that can get to 1500 nits and stay there. As far as I'm aware, some of the phones may have a peak brightness that may get almost that high, but none of them actually sustain that across the full screen in normal usage.

I think the Galaxy S10's normal max brightness is only around 800 nits with a peak brightness of around 1200 nits. The iPhone 11 Pro is very similar.

Don't think you are going to find any phone near that. Even the IP 11 is under 1000.

From Skydio Website-
BATTERY LIFE
2h30 (Android)
5h30 (iOS)
This is because Android will charge from the remote controller and IOS does not. This is pretty much the same with Mavic drones as the vendor does not matter, and they all work in the very same way.

If money is no issue get a Iphone or a Ipad. Otherwise, we use what we already have.

Reactions: richinAZ
This is because Android will charge from the remote controller and IOS does not. This is pretty much the same with Mavic drones as the vendor does not matter, and they all work in the very same way.

If money is no issue get a Iphone or a Ipad. Otherwise, we use what we already have.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

No testing, I got that info from the specs on their site. It's for the controller, not the Beacon or the App.

I've only flown with an android phone using the app.

From Skydio Website-
BATTERY LIFE
2h30 (Android)
5h30 (iOS)
Searched the Skydio website for Battery Life and couldn't find these stats. I'll keep looking.....

Main page at the very bottom but that's all they say, I copied and pasted it right off the site. What Netsonic says makes sense, the controller battery acted weird when I connected it up to an android. Now I understand why, the phone sucked out the juice.

Reactions: skydioconvert
Main page at the very bottom but that's all they say, I copied and pasted it right off the site. What Netsonic says makes sense, the controller battery acted weird when I connected it up to an android. Now I understand why, the phone sucked out the juice.
Thanks for shortening my search... if iOS devices truly do draw less than 1/2 as much power from the S2 Controller battery (compared to android devices), it's hard to see why anyone would pick an android device.

I think its best to wait and see how accurate that comparison really is.

What even more interesting is why either type device taps the controller battery power at all.

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a phone that can get to 1500 nits and stay there. As far as I'm aware, some of the phones may have a peak brightness that may get almost that high, but none of them actually sustain that across the full screen in normal usage.

I think the Galaxy S10's normal max brightness is only around 800 nits with a peak brightness of around 1200 nits. The iPhone 11 Pro is very similar.
Did have a hard time finding a 1000+ nits device but the iPhone 11 Pro Max OLED seems to get in the ball park.

Attachments

• iPhone 11 Pro Max OLED has 1290 nits brightness ratng.png
    iPhone 11 Pro Max OLED has 1290 nits brightness ratng.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 5
The 1290 nits for HDR (iPhone 11 Pro Max) will only apply when the video being played is HDR encoded. The video feed from Skydio isn't, so the display brightness will only hit 1090 nits.

The 1290 nits for HDR (iPhone 11 Pro Max) will only apply when the video being played is HDR encoded. The video feed from Skydio isn't, so the display brightness will only hit 1090 nits.
What's the type of video encoding used by the S2?

If a good on-line source exists that could show me what's above and below HDR and what each level offers I can better see what you are referring to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup