Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Card errors today

LivinLarge

Reaction score
Wasted a lot of time getting the Skydio up and running today. After driving many hours to my destination for a shoot, I thought I would have to go home empty handed. When I powered up the Skydio, the app say the card needs to be formatted. Formatting was unsuccessful. Tried 2 other cards with the same result. Finally reset the drone and got it to recognize that there was a formatted card installed.
Hooked up a phone to the controller and it would not recognize that it was connected and wanted to connect by WiFi. Mounted my tablet instead and it worked fine.
Made several flights with this setup and things seemed to be working OK.
Tried flying with the beacon and phone. The phone would not connect to the beacon, would not see Wifi from the beacon. Switched back to the tablet and remote.
Got home and viewed the video files. Many were cut short, or stopped and restarted. No rhyme or reason to the file lengths. Some were 400Mb some were 2Gb.
Anyone else having these issues?

I can imagine your frustration :(
All cards same brand purchased same place?

Got home and viewed the video files. Many were cut short, or stopped and restarted. No rhyme or reason to the file lengths. Some were 400Mb some were 2Gb.
Anyone else having these issues?
Yes. I have an open ticket with support about this. Waiting for a response at the moment.

I haven't had an issue with my sd card yet. It's a 256GB Samsung evo.

I can imagine your frustration :(
All cards same brand purchased same place?
Two of the Cards were Samsung, one was Kingston, all U3 speed, all work well with my other drones. I have used the Samsung cards before in the Skydio. Makes me think the problem is in the drone not the cards. Waiting for a response from Skydio.

Did some more testing today to try and solve the card format and truncated files. Reformatted the Kingston card and a Sandisk one and did several flights. The Kingston card consistently created multiple videos of different sizes during each flight. The Sandisk card made one long file for each flight. So it seems that there is a problem with the Kingston card. I think that was the card I first installed yesterday and the Skydio was unable to see or format it. Perhaps it created a problem for the OS that it was unable to read or format other cards until the drone was reset.
Anyway, I hope that was the issue and that it does not occur again.

"We sometimes see behavior like this in SD cards that weren't formatted properly. Were you able to complete the steps shown in this SD card formatting guide before flying? If not, I would highly suggest going through that process. Make sure that you download the current data from your SD card before formatting, though, because formatting the card removes all previous data."

From Skydio Support.

Two of the Cards were Samsung, one was Kingston, all U3 speed, all work well with my other drones. I have used the Samsung cards before in the Skydio. Makes me think the problem is in the drone not the cards. Waiting for a response from Skydio.
Looks like you solved it.
I use sandisk Extreme cards without problems.

Did some more testing today to try and solve the card format and truncated files. Reformatted the Kingston card and a Sandisk one and did several flights. The Kingston card consistently created multiple videos of different sizes during each flight. The Sandisk card made one long file for each flight. So it seems that there is a problem with the Kingston card. I think that was the card I first installed yesterday and the Skydio was unable to see or format it. Perhaps it created a problem for the OS that it was unable to read or format other cards until the drone was reset.
Anyway, I hope that was the issue and that it does not occur again.
What brand/spec'd SD cards are provided by Skydio when you buy the S2?

Based on the above comments, the best chances to avoid problems with SD cards seems to be:

1). Use Sandisk Extreme U3 speed cards .... Skydio preference
2). Format cards in the S2 using the procedure described in Skydio's SD card formatting guide

"We sometimes see behavior like this in SD cards that weren't formatted properly. Were you able to complete the steps shown in this SD card formatting guide before flying? If not, I would highly suggest going through that process. Make sure that you download the current data from your SD card before formatting, though, because formatting the card removes all previous data."

From Skydio Support.
The problem happened again today when using a different card. App says the card is not formatted. I formatted the card from the app. App says it was successful. Return to fly screen and app says the card needs to be formatted again. formatted it again but same message. Powered everything down, closed app and restarted. Card now recognized and records fine.

The problem happened again today when using a different card. App says the card is not formatted. I formatted the card from the app. App says it was successful. Return to fly screen and app says the card needs to be formatted again. formatted it again but same message. Powered everything down, closed app and restarted. Card now recognized and records fine.
Brand/Spec'd type of "different card" ?
New or previously used card?
Were the S2 and the phone/device both powered down prior to formatting?

Brand/Spec'd type of "different card" ?
New or previously used card?
Were the S2 and the phone/device both powered down prior to formatting?
Samsung Evo U3 card
Previously used
All powered down prior to formatting.

Samsung Evo U3 card
Previously used
All powered down prior to formatting.
Apparently the worst case scenario sometimes still lets you format a card appropriately.

Maybe the best lesson to be learned is to always format "all" cards before going flying to avoid possibly being inconvenienced at the field.

Just curious, are all your cards the same size? I'm thinking if not, maybe there's a slightly different format between cards and the skydio 2 is expecting the same format everytime. If they are, just ignore me.

Just curious, are all your cards the same size? I'm thinking if not, maybe there's a slightly different format between cards and the skydio 2 is expecting the same format everytime. If they are, just ignore me.
I have the 128 Gb card which came with the Skydio and has not had any problems. I have several 64 GB Samsung cards, two of which gave me problems when I first installed them but seem OK now after I got them to format and finally be recognized. I have a Kingston 64 Gb which gave me problems initially, eventually worked but does not record videos continuously.
I have ordered two more of the Sandisk cards like the one that came with the drone.

I have 2 SD Extreme 128GB cards I use. Never an issue with mine stopping filming. It's files are 22min long.
I have had it tell me that it can't format the card occasionally, same card I always use. I started deleting the files on the card (from the computer) after copying them. I rarely format anymore, zero issues for the approx. 25 flights since I started doing that. I have another SD Extreme 128GB formatted and ready to go slid under the foam in my case just in case.

I've been hitting these errors that SD card isn't formatted lately. Same card I've been using the whole time I've had my Skydio. I found if I format in the app I get the error after format is complete. Then I power down Skydio, pop the card out and push it back in and it's fine. I think it's a bug.

Still an ongoing issue with flights being chopped into multiple files with missing video in between. Skydio support is still unsure what triggers it, but have narrowed it down to either the Samsung SD card or my Samsung galaxy phone. Also it appears that only LivinLarge and I have experienced and reported this happening.

I've been using the same card in the Skydio and now it's telling me that it's too slow. Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup