Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Chinese Drones a Threat?

I really wonder what "specific" information supposedly being transmitted to China is that the US government is so worried about?

Every story that's been published NEVER mentions what that specific data is and why it's so harmful to US interests if it falls into the hands of terrorists?

I guess some politicians gotta have a bogey man to instill fear among the populace and so I suppose drones from China is good enough for this Representative.

I guess some politicians gotta have a bogey man to instill fear among the populace and so I suppose drones from China is good enough for this Representative.
Journalism used to be a respected profession... not so much any more.

The reporting media has turned into the entertainment industry and the truth is increasingly harder and harder to find.

If they (chinese) are collecting anything we should be told what it is (if the Gov even knows). I'd take the threat much more seriously knowing what it's based on. That being said the chinese have shown little reluctance to exploit someone else's design and if they felt they could get valuable info from a drone video I have no doubt they would. I can't fathom what they'll get that isn't already on Google earth/Maps. There's nothing about my flights that would help an adversary of the US. If the shoe was on the other foot and the gov thought they could get away with it I have no doubt we'd exploit the same information if there's anything useful.

Reactions: skydioconvert
Personally I am suspicious of anything to do with Chinese apps. A while back Kevin Finisterre proved DJI was collecting more than just flight data - your personal data from the device. You are forced to connect to DJI servers and agree to the terms in order to activate your DJI product. DJI gathered credit card and other personal information about you that was then shared on unsecure sites over the internet. I have no doubt the CCP will use what they can from this data, in 2017 the military wisely stopped the use of DJI drones.

To each his own I feel better connecting to an American drone.

Last edited:
Personally I am suspicious of anything to do with Chinese apps. A while back Kevin Finisterre proved DJI was collecting more than just flight data - your personal data from the device. You are forced to connect to DJI servers and agree to the terms in order to activate your DJI product. DJI gathered credit card and other personal information about you that was then shared on unsecure sites over the internet. I have no doubt the CCP will use what they can from this data, in 2017 the military wisely stopped the use of DJI drones.

To each his own I feel better connecting to an American drone.
Didn't know that. I feel better just owning an american drone.

Didn't know that. I feel better just owning an american drone.
Ditto.... but to most DJI owners that potential for credit card mis-use isn't a big enough threat not to accept DJI's T&C's.

Nice that at last pilots now have an American built, assembled and tested drone that in many area's even surpasses DJI products.

It went beyond your CC - driver license, location, images, banking information and any other sensitive data on your device was available to DJI. The DJI app was comprehensive at intelligence-gathering from your device.

DJI responded with their government version app which they claimed did not report back to China but who knows the military still rejected it.

DJI still requires you to agree to their terms and conditions and allow their servers access to your device for activation.

DJI reps suggested turning off internet access to avoid data collection but that's not possible since at certain times you must connect to DJI servers to activate your device and the data is transmitted.

Connecting to unknown servers is what unfortunately too many do all to freely.

Information gathering used to involve a time consuming process .... now people actually volunteer the information.... good times for intelligence agencies any where in the world.

Attachments

• 2020-05-07 11_08_26-we have met the enemy and he is us t shirt - Google Search.png
    2020-05-07 11_08_26-we have met the enemy and he is us t shirt - Google Search.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 0
Many do it unknowingly. On my iPad DJI GO4 constantly ran in the background, the app size grew and grew. If opened a banking app or photo album GO4 was running in the background.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but if I have the choice I will chose to not share this information.

Many do it unknowingly. On my iPad DJI GO4 constantly ran in the background, the app size grew and grew. If opened a banking app or photo album GO4 was running in the background.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but if I have the choice I will chose to not share this information.
If you've not already tried it there's a program called NetGuard that allows you to control which app may send or receive data.

Understood it's quite successful in blocking any app from running in the background.

I think it was only for Android devices but I'm not sure.

Clever use of reported facts trying to sway the uninformed against why DJI deserves our respect and trust.

Curiously avoids why the US military has taken the position of banning DJI drones in military uses.

Perhaps Ricks engineering background isn't as all encompassing as it needs to be?

I'm also a retired engineer and am amazed on how everyday beliefs are blown out of the water virtually every day of the week. To belief so strongly that I know the most current information about technological capabilities of another super power would be pure hubris.

I like Rick but when you stop admitting a possibility nine times out of ten it comes back and bites you know where.

Sadly I also think Ricks desire to curry favor with DJI also plays into how passionately he sides with their propaganda published statements.

Reactions: VortexLABS
Clearly BS. Rick, MAD, Ken, Tom.... all tools.

A good customer of mine is the manufacturer liaison to the military for drones. He is based at Creech AFB and his job is Predator and Reapor’s, it was one of his Reapors that took out Salamani.

My shop is a mile from Nellis AFB, I have a lot of Military guys come through.

They don’t tell all but tell enough. You want CCP controlled drones doing close up inspections of our top secret craft, know thier whereabouts and movements? What better platform than flown from within?

I think China showed thier true colors to the world with COVID-19 regarding thier level of care.

Again to each his own, there are many who go out of thier way to defend DJI without knowledge of the facts.

I really wonder what "specific" information supposedly being transmitted to China is that the US government is so worried about?

Every story that's been published NEVER mentions what that specific data is and why it's so harmful to US interests if it falls into the hands of terrorists?

It's not good to get specific. But, if one said "everything" you'd be close.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup