Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Controller USB C to Micro B USB Tablet

Tony Miller

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inch with a micro B usb port. Where can I get a cable to connect the Skydio Controller (usb C) to the Galaxy Tab?

The cables that I have gotten on the internet don’t work. (I suspect that they are for charging only and do not support data)

You can verify whether or not your cables are "Charge Only" or "Data" cables by measuring pin voltages (See attached).

Alternately you can try to find a Galaxy cable that is clearly labeled to be a "Data" cable.... one that provides both data and power.

Attachments

• how to tell if cable supports both data and power - Google Search.png
    how to tell if cable supports both data and power - Google Search.png
    126 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: skydioconvert
Any one heard from Skydio what cable can be used to connect the Skydio controller to an iOS device .... (i.e. USB C to Lightning connector)?

P.S. Want an additional cable above that provided by Skydio with the controller.

Last edited:
Any one heard from Skydio what cable can be used to connect the Skydio controller to an iOS device .... (i.e. USB C to Lightning connector)?

P.S. Want an additional cable above that provided by Skydio with the controller.
To my knowledge so far there is no 3rd party iOS lighting connector that works as it appears to be a proprietary cable and needs to come from Skydio.

To my knowledge so far there is no 3rd party iOS lighting connector that works as it appears to be a proprietary cable and needs to come from Skydio.
Perhaps but it seems odd that 3rd party cables exist for android but not for iOS devices.

Found a USB C to iOS adapter online that might solve my problem,

Perhaps but it seems odd that 3rd party cables exist for android but not for iOS devices.

Found a USB C to iOS adapter online that might solve my problem,
Many have been tried without success. Let us know if you actually find one that works.

If Skydio would have used the USB out port on the controller 3rd party cables would have worked but they switched
things around along with there iOS cable to use the USB-C out so had to use there own cable configuration.
They did have the iOS cable for sale on there website but of course all closed up for now!

Many have been tried without success. Let us know if you actually find one that works.

If Skydio would have used the USB out port on the controller 3rd party cables would have worked but they switched
things around along with there iOS cable to use the USB-C out so had to use there own cable configuration.
They did have the iOS cable for sale on there website but of course all closed up for now!
Did Skydio actually admit changing pin outs or is that just a supposition?

Did Skydio actually admit changing pin outs or is that just a supposition?
We went through this a few months back, people needing longer iOS cables for there iPads and nothing found works other than Skydio cable. I don't recall if Skydio actually admitted changing the pinouts but what other conclusion can you come to. I know dozens of different cables were tried from Amazon without success.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 inch with a micro B usb port. Where can I get a cable to connect the Skydio Controller (usb C) to the Galaxy Tab?

The cables that I have gotten on the internet don’t work. (I suspect that they are for charging only and do not support data)
Used 1' OTG USB-C to micro USB that I used with my Mavic Mini and it's working fine. Got it on eBay in December for about $2 The cable has 90deg connectors on both sides, very convenient.
I'm using SM-T290 tab since that's the only model that works with the Fly app so make sure to check what USB port is on your tab, my other tab is SM-T380 and there is USB-C on it

Last edited:
We went through this a few months back, people needing longer iOS cables for there iPads and nothing found works other than Skydio cable. I don't recall if Skydio actually admitted changing the pinouts but what other conclusion can you come to. I know dozens of different cables were tried from Amazon without success.
Ok... for some reason I never saw the earlier messages about Lightning connector incompatibilities.

Since both the earlier mentioned 3rd party Android cable and the iOS cable on their website are "data" only cables, I'm now guessing the adapter I mentioned earlier may not be wise or safe to use.

Thanks for the feedback...

Used 1' OTG USB-C to micro USB that I used with my Mavic Mini and it's working fine. Got it on eBay in December for about $2 The cable has 90deg connectors on both sides, very convenient.
I'm using SM-T290 tab since that's the only model that works with the Fly app so make sure to check what USB port is on your tab, my other tab is SM-T380 and there is USB-C on it
I appreciate the tips... I'll bookmark your message for future reference.

I am having a similar compatibility issue with my controller only. I cannot get my tab to recognize that it is plugged into my controller. I have three devices that are running Android 7, 9 or 10 but all of them are micro- USB. They all run the Skydio App and I can fly my Skydio 2 with each of them. I bought outside cables that appear to connect my Beacon to my devices but I have yet to find a way to connect my controller to my device. It is very frustrating. I have been in contact with Skydio CS multiple times and just today I got a replacement controller but am still having the same results. Does it basically boil down to buying the most sophisticated drone on the mass market and not being able to use it unless you connect it with a C cable? Can anyone help?

I have tried 2 different aftermarket cables and neither works. I contacted Skydio support and they said the problem is that my phone port is USB 2 and not USB 3 compliant. I wonder if it is possible to install the USB A port from a Parrot Anafi controller into the Skydio controller?

I have tried 2 different aftermarket cables and neither works. I contacted Skydio support and they said the problem is that my phone port is USB 2 and not USB 3 compliant. I wonder if it is possible to install the USB A port from a Parrot Anafi controller into the Skydio controller?
Can you post Skydio's actual comment that explained why you have a problem?

It's possible that they are saying that your phone itself is the problem.

If your phone only has a USB 2 port it wouldn't be able to handle the much faster USB 3.0 data transfer speeds required by the S2.

P.S. Here's a nice explanation of USB differences that might help you.

Can you post Skydio's actual comment that explained why you have a problem?

It's possible that they are saying that your phone itself is the problem.

If your phone only has a USB 2 port it wouldn't be able to handle the much faster USB 3.0 data transfer speeds required by the S2.

P.S. Here's a nice explanation of USB differences that might help you.

Why does the S2 require higher speeds? The same controller is used on the Parrot Anafi but also has a USB A port which works fine with this phone. The phone also works fine when connected to the Beacon or S2 by WiFi.
It would seem that the amount of data transferred from the remote to the phone should not be any more than the Anafi or Mavic which both work fine with USB 2 speeds.
I expect it was a cost reduction measure to remove the USB A port which seemed redundant. Perhaps they did not consider that this would keep us from using a lot of phones and tablets.
It is a shame since many of us do not want to use our main phone for the drone and have older phones lying around that could serve that purpose.

Why does the S2 require higher speeds? The same controller is used on the Parrot Anafi but also has a USB A port which works fine with this phone. The phone also works fine when connected to the Beacon or S2 by WiFi.
It would seem that the amount of data transferred from the remote to the phone should not be any more than the Anafi or Mavic which both work fine with USB 2 speeds.
I expect it was a cost reduction measure to remove the USB A port which seemed redundant. Perhaps they did not consider that this would keep us from using a lot of phones and tablets.
It is a shame since many of us do not want to use our main phone for the drone and have older phones lying around that could serve that purpose.
Without seeing Skydio's actual reply to you about not being USB 3 compliant I'm only guessing they are referring to a speed problem.

The "main" benefit of going from USB 2 to USB 3 is MUCH higher data transfer speeds.

The S2 apparently handles so much more data than other drones that a USB 3 port is needed.

The data communicated to the phone should not be more than other drones, in fact there is less telemetry in the app than others. The drone itself is processing much more data from the multiple cameras but that is processed internally in the drone and not going to the RC and then to the phone.
I do not have a written comment about speed from Skydio. They only suggested that my phone may not be USB 3 compliant in a chat session. They did not say that speed was the issue and promised to get back to me by email after discussing it with others there. I have not heard back from them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup