Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

DIY motors replacement

Dilan

Reaction score
Decided to open a separate topic about Skydio 2 motors.
Sooner or later your motors will go out due to water, age or shatter. In my case it was both, rusted and shattered against the rock. Shipping the drone for out of warranty repair for one motor seemed to me a waste of money, I could replace it myself. But of course Skydio uses proprietary design and they wont sell parts.
After spending a day looking at 3rd party brushless motors to match the design, I couldn't find any.
I have an idea to try to replace all 4 motors of Skydio with for example DJI Mavic Pro, like these on ALiExpress which are available to buy, along with their propellers, because changing only one motor will lead to unbalance.
Does anyone know real KV of stock motors? Contributions to the topic are welcome.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.50.55 AM.png

Last edited:
I don't think you're getting a lot of responses because everything with the Skydio 2 seems to be bespoke.

From what I can see the motors are installed with a ribbon cable. When it comes to driving the motors there are different waveforms - square wave versus sinewave... I know DJ I made a big deal about that in the Phantoms. The software has to be compatible with the motors and the KV of the motors is important as well The propellers must be matched to the operating system for proper response; I experimented with different props on my Phantoms, Solo, Halo...they have a dramatic affect on flight performance.

I would start by getting the specs on the OE motor. With the 3DR Solo it took a while but guys figured out what aftermarket motors worked and claimed significant advantages; although I did not see much advantage except maybe better bearings.

I had good results using 10" Master Airscrew props on my Solo, the MA props flew smoother and extended flight time.

I had to watch motor temps here in Vegas though. It's triple digets here in Vegas now, I cool my S2 between flights like this 🥶
Resized_20220527_105908_12916001325308.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilan and Ridefreak
Thanks for the insight. So you didn’t try to use 3rd party motors in Skydio? What is your picture refers to?
I had no success changing bearing balls in stock skydio motor, can’t take the axis out without bending the hood.

I will need a motor for my SD2 as well. One motor with extra resistant. Believe the bearing is the problem. Assume I will need change out the motor. Anyone here has the luck and find the source of a replacement motor?

I will need a motor for my SD2 as well. One motor with extra resistant. Believe the bearing is the problem. Assume I will need change out the motor. Anyone here has the luck and find the source of a replacement motor?
I had it started with same symptoms of resistance and then it failed. No way to change bearings. I’m waiting for delivery of motors from DJ Mavic Pro, which the closest to the design I found. But chances it will work with board are low, even if I will fit motors in the arms.

PMd you

Just got motors with blades for Mavic pro 2 from China delivered. Surprisingly the bottom plate pattern matches perfectly. This is was my concern number one. Now I will have to replace all 4 motors with these and see if board will take them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 13
Do you have an update on the motor swap? I just found a drone on a 3rd party site for sell but it looks like it need a motor swap. I want to get an update before I grab the drone.

Do you have an update on the motor swap? I just found a drone on a 3rd party site for sell but it looks like it need a motor swap. I want to get an update before I grab the drone.
Sorry I never had a chance to try. Still sits in the box along with new motors. Physically it may fit just fine, but I'm afraid that they will be uncalibrated and I don't know the KV of stock motors, it's a blind swap.

I have what I think is dust/sand in a rotor on a SD2+ that was under warranty and Skydio refuses to cover (it crashed itself, and it being smart enough not to do that was the whole reason I got this thing in the first place). It won't launch because the rotor won't spin up to the correct RPM. Would really like to hear if there are any updates on this topic, or if anyone has any recommendations on self-service/repair of the damaged rotor. The thing is pretty much brand new, under 5 hours flight time. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have what I think is dust/sand in a rotor on a SD2+ that was under warranty and Skydio refuses to cover (it crashed itself, and it being smart enough not to do that was the whole reason I got this thing in the first place). It won't launch because the rotor won't spin up to the correct RPM. Would really like to hear if there are any updates on this topic, or if anyone has any recommendations on self-service/repair of the damaged rotor. The thing is pretty much brand new, under 5 hours flight time. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I will try to solder on those motors from DJ I’ve got, maybe in May or so. Not much can do about it. I did buy a second drone tho.

Sand intrusion isn't an unusual occurrence for me, it's pretty much all sand around here. When it's happened I've use a air blower from a compressor and spin the props as I blow into them. The sand gets pushed out the other end of the motor. Ideally it'd be disassembled or sent back but that would get kind of expensive for me, I've probably done it 4 or 5 times with zero issues.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup