Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Don't count of Skydio's "crash it and we replace it" guarantee. Yes I followed guidelines.

Correct, Optical & GPS; although GPS is not it’s OA... it’s used for tracking or returning to tracking. The GPS isn’t providing OA, the Optical is providing the OA and if needed moves away or detour, and if optical lost, again tracking to return to normal OA flight.

The OA is a plus except when not available. In low light without optics, won’t fly. The GPS can’t assume low light OA.

Agree poor low light OA, sorry I thought we were discussing target acquisition.

Reactions: dougcjohn
Depending on year to year funding I've witnessed the same program evolutions in at least the NAVSEA development programs. Tracking multiple objects has been around forever... autonomously deciding how to react to the information is a whole other story on to itself.

Once I get my SD2 I really look forward to experimenting with the logic Skydio is building into the drone.
I’d agree that autonomous is definitely a layer above multi-object track. Although, sophisticated electronics in aircraft has vastly improved over the last 10-15 yrs. Most protective systems in piloted military aircraft are not dependent on pilot response or split-second decision to decipher the greatest threat. Pilots input is vital for highest accuracy, but even that information is provided by electronics, not visual assessment from canopy. Detecting multiple inbound, initiating defensive measures can be performed fully electronically.

Similar to offensive, UAV electronics are available to easily handle multi-point. Especially if objective(s) are known during pre-flight programming. The ordinance may even off-load part of the multi-point programming. Are these systems on tarmac, obviously not yet... but probably will be in not to distant future. The limiting factor in my opinion is size, weight & maneuverability of vehicle, power supply, & range. The physical UAV limitations are greater than what current electronics could feasibly provide.

Trivial bit, the space program‘s electronics and computational hardware was essentially less than a modern smart phone. Electronics are rarely the limiting variable in designing.

Last edited:
Agree poor low light OA, sorry I thought we were discussing target acquisition.
Agree... targets have crossed path... was attempting to stay on OA. Seeing your point now... sorry I swayed too. ;)

Once I get my SD2 I really look forward to experimenting with the logic Skydio is building into the drone.

Hope you enjoy the S2, it definitely has it’s strong points!
Has it’s share of other too... but for it’s intended audience it’s a great craft!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES