Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Downwinding for Days

paularity

Reaction score
It was technically no easy feat to capture a full single-take tracking 'raw run' drone shot of a foiler downwinding 500m offshore in 20kn winds - but with the right gear and the Skydio 2+ - I think you'll agree that we nailed it!

What the footage doesn't show is the effort behind the scenes in what was involved - riding skill required - car shuffles - optimal conditions and location - battery life / range anxiety - electric skateboards - and stress levels!

Hope you guys enjoy the clip!

Nice vid! The rider has skill - makes it look sooo easy :)

How big was the swell - wave crest to trough?

Nice vid! The rider has skill - makes it look sooo easy :)

How big was the swell - wave crest to trough?
Yeah it’s definitely not as easy as he makes it look - I just cheat with the eFoil

Hard to say - 20kn windswell sometimes the bumps are bigger than head height and you just get spat down the face and have to hold on and pick your line - quite the knack to reading the ocean though your head is constantly on a swivel

But for this shot he paddled out to position - I launched the drone from the beach - flew over and ‘found’ him - ran up to the bike path and jumped on my eSkate - then paced him at 25kph to keep the Controller in range with VLOS whilst dodging pedestrians and getting blinded by the setting sun praying the drone was in the right spot haha!

Reactions: ETdronehome
Yeah it’s definitely not as easy as he makes it look - I just cheat with the eFoil

Hard to say - 20kn windswell sometimes the bumps are bigger than head height and you just get spat down the face and have to hold on and pick your line - quite the knack to reading the ocean though your head is constantly on a swivel

But for this shot he paddled out to position - I launched the drone from the beach - flew over and ‘found’ him - ran up to the bike path and jumped on my eSkate - then paced him at 25kph to keep the Controller in range with VLOS whilst dodging pedestrians and getting blinded by the setting sun praying the drone was in the right spot haha!
Hmmm sounds like there should have been another S2 recording you!!😀

I’m not clear on something. We’re you completely free flying the drone with the controller or was it “tracking” him?

Hmmm sounds like there should have been another S2 recording you!!😀

I’m not clear on something. We’re you completely free flying the drone with the controller or was it “tracking” him?
No it was fixed angle tracking the whole time - visual only as I didn't want to complicate things with the Beacon as there was already enough going on! you can see around 5.05 mark when it almost lost him and the propellors are in the frame

I could only just see his silhouette against the glare and only just make out the drone - and was just glancing at the screen every now and then while riding my skateboard

Reactions: ETdronehome
No it was fixed angle tracking the whole time - visual only as I didn't want to complicate things with the Beacon as there was already enough going on! you can see around 5.05 mark when it almost lost him and the propellors are in the frame

I could only just see his silhouette against the glare and only just make out the drone - and was just glancing at the screen every now and then while riding my skateboard
New definition of multi-tasking!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spad