Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

drone issue with range of flight or location factor - Europe / city area

singular.droid

Reaction score
So, flying a while with beacon and phone, at some point I've decided to try range flight with the controller. And it was a surprise - in my case, it didn't fly further than 250 meters. The first time it happened I was thinking somehow it grabbed WiFi from the phone instead of the controller. Next time I used the following procedure to make sure it is not operating via wifi:
  • turn off wifi on iPhone (not airplane mode, just wifi disabled)
  • turn skydio2 on, wait till the blue light stops blinking
  • open the controller phone holder and wait till the LED indicator will become solid blue on the controller
  • connect phone to controller with cable from cinema kit
  • start skydio app on iphone
  • connect to the drone in the app
  • press flight button in the app
  • once it is flying, try to move the drone around for a while and then push it to the limit
Noticeable thing - all times when the connection was lost, first it was a degradation of the video signal and then just 'Connection Lost' (and the drone was moving home). nothing solid or high between me and the drone for 1km at least. Got 2 guesses why, please let me know what you think
  • Maybe this is the range limit in Europe, where another band is being used?
  • I was testing in the city park all the time, maybe LTE/4G antennas and wifi's which are densely situated in the surrounding area could interfere controller signal so significantly so it reduces the distance 15times to nominal value?
Few more
  • What's your procedure to fly far, if you fly for 2-3km away, does it really make difference if you point the controller antenna to the probable drone location or not?
  • If you live in Europe (not US/CA better say) what is your record range of flight with the controller?
  • Did you achieve 3-3.5km in the city (or another area with a strong LTE/4G signal) or in rural surroundings/backcountry?

UNIXman

Reaction score
It isn't just in Europe, where you're limited to the 2.4 gHz band. Here in the United States, that's about the maximum range as well. I own a multitude of drones, and the Skydio's don't have much range at all. They are designed for close-in work, tracking and avoiding obstacles. The DJI drones from the Phantom 4 on, have really great range. So when I go out flying, I grab "The Right Tool For The Job." If I'm trying to record my bicycling adventures, I'll grab the Skydio. If I want to see what that strange building is on a mountain 8 kM away, I'll grab a Mavic. I usually carry both with me. I am lucky to be living 30 kM from Denver, on the edge of suburbia, and most everything beyond me is rural or natural.

singular.droid

Reaction score
It isn't just in Europe, where you're limited to the 2.4 gHz band. Here in the United States, that's about the maximum range as well. I own a multitude of drones, and the Skydio's don't have much range at all. They are designed for close-in work, tracking and avoiding obstacles. The DJI drones from the Phantom 4 on, have really great range. So when I go out flying, I grab "The Right Tool For The Job." If I'm trying to record my bicycling adventures, I'll grab the Skydio. If I want to see what that strange building is on a mountain 8 kM away, I'll grab a Mavic. I usually carry both with me. I am lucky to be living 30 kM from Denver, on the edge of suburbia, and most everything beyond me is rural or natural.
So you mean your max distance with controller & Skydio was also 250-300m? 10-15 times less than declared 3.5km? With the visual line of sight present

UNIXman

Reaction score
Yes. And that is with direct line of sight, using either the controller or the beacon. Not much range at all. This is Colorado, where trees only grow where they can find a source of consistent water, such as a home with an irrigated lawn. So my range isn't affected by foliage or being blocked by buildings

singular.droid

Reaction score
Wow, I'm
Yes. And that is with direct line of sight, using either the controller or the beacon. Not much range at all. This is Colorado, where trees only grow where they can find a source of consistent water, such as a home with an irrigated lawn. So my range isn't affected by foliage or being blocked by buildings
Wow, I'm wondering then how all these guys on youtube achieve >1.5kms flight distance with pretty normal rural surroundings... do you think such bias between declared and real performance isn't misinformation?

UNIXman

Reaction score
Well, now you have me wondering if I might have an antenna problem on my bird. Because the short range is exhibited whether I'm using the controller or the beacon. Up till now, I had just figured that Skydio had put in an ineffective radio. But since I use BOTH the Skydio and a fleet of DJI birds, I just pick the Skydio for it's tracking and collision avoidance, and a DJI for long range flights. You don't need much range to track a moving bicycle. Here, check this out for the kind of things that I use the Skydio for. Pretty impressive little bird! I intentionally threw a few trees and houses between the Skydio and me, using the Beacon. 100 metres is all the distance I needed to take this video:

Reactions: singular.droid

singular.droid

Reaction score
Well, now you have me wondering if I might have an antenna problem on my bird. Because the short range is exhibited whether I'm using the controller or the beacon. Up till now, I had just figured that Skydio had put in an ineffective radio. But since I use BOTH the Skydio and a fleet of DJI birds, I just pick the Skydio for it's tracking and collision avoidance, and a DJI for long range flights. You don't need much range to track a moving bicycle. Here, check this out for the kind of things that I use the Skydio for. Pretty impressive little bird! I intentionally threw a few trees and houses between the Skydio and me, using the Beacon. 100 metres is all the distance I needed to take this video:
For following it does a pretty good job but a manual piloting range of 250-300m vs 3.5km is soooo depressing. I'm now locked down due to an outside temperature of -15C and not flying S2 as it is below the recommended temperature range and wondering if someone has achieved over 1km distance as in my case in the city/park environment it very short. verifying among members of only skydio group I was able to find.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cronos01