Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

FAA Facility Maps (LAANC Grids)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff member
Wiki Editor
Reaction score
This comes up a LOT and we need to do a PSA to all FAA UAS operators. On the UAS Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) there are boxes with a # in it (0 - 400). Some people mistakenly think this is the "allowed altitude by default" for that grid section. This is NOT the case. The altitude listed is the MAX altitude you will most likely get approval if you submit a request via LAANC. This is a mere shortcut so that you don't ask for 300' in a 100' location (it will get denied).

Any and EVERY flight inside of Controlled Airspace must be pre-authorized before the UAS takes off. This would be done via LAANC if it's available and your request is "normal". If it's outside of the listed altitude you'll have to submit a manual request via the FAA Drone Zone portal.

It's also important to know that not EVERY submission gets approval even if less than the noted altitude. An active airport is a very DYNAMIC area and things like Emergencies, Military Operations, VIP Activity, Maintenance, and Equipment Failures can alter normal traffic etc and a seemingly simple and routine request CAN get denied.

Dumb question... if you request clearance from FAA Drone Zone and receive a denial with with the following verbiage:

Operations at altitudes above the UAS Facility Map (UASFM) are currently not authorized under Section 44809, Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft.

Does this mean a Part 107 request might be granted instead? I assume this is "go away, no authorization for you"

Dumb question... if you request clearance from FAA Drone Zone and receive a denial with with the following verbiage:

Does this mean a Part 107 request might be granted instead? I assume this is "go away, no authorization for you"

I'd say it's possible a Part 107 COULD get approval.

I'd say it's possible a Part 107 COULD get approval.
A part 107 approval is hypothetically possible. I work for a govt. agency and we have assets directly under the normal departure path for Los Alamitos AAF. I was able to get a COA to fly directly over our assets (50' laterally). I have to notify LAAAF at least 24 hours in advance, and then coordinate each flight with the ATC.

It took about 3 months to get the approvals.

You have to have a very compelling business reason, and your COA will be very restricted.

LAAAF doesn't do LAANC. I suspect anything not allowed with LAANC at a LAANC airport will be at least as restrictive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup