Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Floaty for Skydio 2?

pbayani

Reaction score
I'll by flying my Skydio 2 mostly over water which I should be receiving on Monday. Has anyone done a modification to attach a floaty? Is it possible without interfering or compromising the obstacle avoidance? I am thinking of attaching a GoPro floaty using velcro straps. Can't wait to start learning how to fly :) I saw DroneRaft which works with other drones.

Most likely it will not let you fly since it will obstruct the cameras view.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Be careful flying over water. There are a few stories on this site abought the s2 going for a swim.

I may use the Skydio 2 to learn how to pilot with the controller and not rely on the beacon for anything for water sports. I may have to switch to a SwellPro Spry+ or Splash 3 or 4.

Hello
I meet same problem, I'm trying to adapt a floating of mavic 2... With a new 3d print adapter

Sorry for my english

I have built my own waterproof and floating drones for some time. I only had one incident where my drone crashed in water. I was able to recover it with no damage.
I have also tested several ways of adding floats to DJI drones. None of these worked well. Any float system large enough to keep the drone from sinking, will make it fly poorly especially in wind and will likely show up in the camera view. A GoPro floaty is not nearly big enough.
While floats might save a drone in a crash, if it lands upright, more likely it will land upside down (buttered side down law.) If it gets wet, it will likely be ruined, especially in salt water.
It might be possible to mount a Getterback to the Skydio in a way that would not interfere with the navigation cameras. This would allow you to recover the drone but not stop it from sinking.
Your best bet is to buy insurance that covers the drone for all losses. State Farm sells such a policy that is not very expensive.

100+ hours of over water flying and no lost drones here

The new Skydio Care is probably worth paying for - Skydio Care Terms of Service

but I also have insurance here in Australia and have made a claim previously, and in this instance I was flying well outside the rated wind conditions

Looked at the Getterback and can confirm it wouldn't take off

Reactions: mswlogo
100+ hours of over water flying and no lost drones here

The new Skydio Care is probably worth paying for - Skydio Care Terms of Service

but I also have insurance here in Australia and have made a claim previously, and in this instance I was flying well outside the rated wind conditions

Looked at the Getterback and can confirm it wouldn't take off
I thought the Skydio Care was only for the new S2+. I would get it if they would offer it to us regular S2 people.

Reactions: richinAZ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup