Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Gimbal doesn't remain stable on camera mode switch.

Airwolf

Reaction score
Ever since first getting the S2 into the air I have had an issue where the camera loses its stability when switching camera modes. This hardly seems normal and yet when I asked Skydio about it they stated this was normal!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ever since first getting the S2 into the air I have had an issue where the camera loses its stability when switching camera modes. This hardly seems normal and yet when I asked Skydio about it they stated this was normal!

Has anyone else experienced this?

What does it mean about less stability of the gimbal?

The condition of the flight? (wind)
The stability of the drone?
The images that it took?

You might need to add at least three more pieces of information or it is hard to say anything more.

What does it mean about less stability of the gimbal?

The condition of the flight? (wind)
The stability of the drone?
The images that it took?

You might need to add at least three more pieces of information or it is hard to say anything more.
I mean the actual 3 axis gimble seems to go through a recalibration mid air. Like when it does when it first powers on before flight. This recalibration happens when I switch modes and goes from left to right and rotates and goes up and down slightly. This is in any condition. Even windless.

I mean the actual 3 axis gimble seems to go through a recalibration mid air. Like when it does when it first powers on before flight. This recalibration happens when I switch modes and goes from left to right and rotates and goes up and down slightly. This is in any condition. Even windless.
Thank you for reply.

Recalibration on the fly, it sounds not so good.

I've never switched photo and video during the flight.

I've heard of the red screen issue so I've not done it.

Next time, I will try and do a double-check and reply here.

It is not easy for me to fly the drone here. It will be a few days later.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Airwolf
Thank you for reply.

Recalibration on the fly, it sounds not so good.

I've never switched photo and video during the flight.

I've heard of the red screen issue so I've not done it.

Next time, I will try and do a double-check and reply here.

It is not easy for me to fly the drone here. It will be a few days later.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.

Here's another thing that Skydio suggests is normal and that if true happens with ALL Skydio 2's: when you power up and are just about to hit the fly/launch button the camera slowly pans from left to right before centering. So maybe you can check this just with a half charged battery in doors. If this occurs with yours then at least that does appear to be normal.

The weird thing is that I have never seen anyone mention this in their reviews.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
Happens to me every time I switch in flight. I do this to stop auto recording more than anything to reduce file size. It's a quick way instead of bumbling around in the menu then forgetting to turn it back on and miss a shot. That and usually I crank off a few photos for a pano.

I reported it to Skydio and they actually replaced my drone saying it was hardware issue. When I got new one it did the same thing. I just live with it. I'm over reporting to Skydio's support black hole. Their probably tired of me too. Being a data and intelligence software engineer I have knack for finding bugs. For the longest time I sent them bug reports on the regular, at least 2-3 a month. But after so many false promises of fixing stuff I've given up. If it doesn't crash my drone at this point I don't care. If it does I'm buying a S2+. Win win?

When switching from video to photo or vice versa the screen turns red momentarily and the gimbal moves. Every time. It has since day one, back in November of 2020.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
Happens to me every time I switch in flight. I do this to stop auto recording more than anything to reduce file size. It's a quick way instead of bumbling around in the menu then forgetting to turn it back on and miss a shot. That and usually I crank off a few photos for a pano.

I reported it to Skydio and they actually replaced my drone saying it was hardware issue. When I got new one it did the same thing. I just live with it. I'm over reporting to Skydio's support black hole. Their probably tired of me too. Being a data and intelligence software engineer I have knack for finding bugs. For the longest time I sent them bug reports on the regular, at least 2-3 a month. But after so many false promises of fixing stuff I've given up. If it doesn't crash my drone at this point I don't care. If it does I'm buying a S2+. Win win?
What's annoying is that the first few seconds of the video must be cut. That's not very professional. Bad gimbal algorithm.

When switching from video to photo or vice versa the screen turns red momentarily and the gimbal moves. Every time. It has since day one, back in November of 2020.
Why doesn't anyone else report this? With all the review videos out there on the S2 I'd think someone would have mentioned this but nothing!

Why doesn't anyone else report this? With all the review videos out there on the S2 I'd think someone would have mentioned this but nothing!
I’m kinda wondering why you actually continue to own a S2.

Most of your posts here are “preaching to the choir” about things that you have found unsatisfactory about either the S2 or Skydio in general.

As far as I know Skydio doesn’t actively participate on this forum and none of the users here have much influence over what the company does or does not do.

I find your posts quite elegant and well informed but it would be pleasant if you would occasionally share some positive experiences as well. 😀

Last edited:
I've seen it before. Couldn't say where - it's been quite some time though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup