Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Gravitating back to Skydio

TonyPHX

Reaction score
Like many drone users, I have a number of DJI drones. I have owned both the Skydio 2 and the 2+ and at one point last year sold both just because I was getting too much clutter and was buried in drones. I found I was not flying or enjoying the 2+ as much as I was hoping. However, absence makes the heart grow fonder?

The 2 and 2+ have so many unique capabilities that other drones just cannot touch and there have been many times on certain projects I wish I had the Skydio still. Anyways, where I am going with this, is that I think I need the Skydio 2+ or ? again. I am of course wondering, how long before Skydio's next platform update to the successor to the 2+? I read the thread about a newer sensor and that has me interested. Usually I am not the "wait for the next version" person, but since this is a nice to have purchase, I am wondering if I should wait a bit. Does anyone have any news on this front?

I also have too many drones lol, including several DJI's.

The reality for me is my Skydio is a tool. I do tracking videos every week and the abilities of my S2 simply make it a requirement for me. I did get good results with Anafi, Typhoon.... but it's a lot more work on the pilot's part. In some small ways I could get better results by flying lower, faster, higher, further... the 3DR Solo's autonomous moves are still unmatched IMO and I got some amazing footage with it. But the launch and forget capability of my S2 makes it valuable to me. I can concentrate on driving and not worry about avoiding obstacles.

So for me it's a matter of need not want, whether a new model is in the works or not my S2 is a work tool and of course I will upgrade when available.

I think much of the upgrades are in the software because the hardware is pretty advanced which may slow down new hardware offerings, but I really don't know; there are always surprise releases when you don't expect it.

So I would base it on need, if you don't have a need for the S2 then wait and see what is on the horizon. If you have a current need or job that only the S2 can do then it's worth every penny in my opinion

I will say the last few software upgrades were a challenge for me with the constant disconnects; but at the end of the day it is still my most productive drone so I deal with it. Fortunately the new software seems to be working much better, good luck.

Reactions: TonyPHX
unless you can find an s2+ for a super cheap price, i would wait for the next version.

Reactions: TonyPHX
We have a member here who "Predicts" Skydio will be releasing a new drone soon.

I would wait ;)
I can wait then. No urgent need, but I definitely miss the crazy fun I had with the 2.

Like many drone users, I have a number of DJI drones. I have owned both the Skydio 2 and the 2+ and at one point last year sold both just because I was getting too much clutter and was buried in drones. I found I was not flying or enjoying the 2+ as much as I was hoping. However, absence makes the heart grow fonder?

The 2 and 2+ have so many unique capabilities that other drones just cannot touch and there have been many times on certain projects I wish I had the Skydio still. Anyways, where I am going with this, is that I think I need the Skydio 2+ or ? again. I am of course wondering, how long before Skydio's next platform update to the successor to the 2+? I read the thread about a newer sensor and that has me interested. Usually I am not the "wait for the next version" person, but since this is a nice to have purchase, I am wondering if I should wait a bit. Does anyone have any news on this front?
Can you explain what specific functions that the Skydio does that are so unique?

Can you explain what specific functions that the Skydio does that are so unique?
Sure. The tracking beacon is amazing. There is nothing like it with any other drone I have ever owned.

Also, I never have had any of my DJI's negotiate obstacles quite like the Skydio. Obstacle avoidance is one thing, but the way the Skydio could go low, high, wide, narrow, it is just amazing.

The Skydio also ended up giving me shots and views that I never planned on due to the autonomous aspect.

I am probably going to wait for a future consumer release from them (hoping they still like that market). I'm a touch disappointed with them at this moment in time because I have sent several questions to them via their sales contact from on the site and both have gone unanswered. Not like my previous experience with Skydio.

In any event, I am still a fan. It is a unique drone. The range was always meh, the controller, meh. But the fun factor, very very high.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup