Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

I usually have a strobe attached to my other drones

I usually have a strobe attached to my other drones.

Will putting a small strobe lite (see link) on the SkyDio 2 cause the obstacle avoidance system any issues/problems?

Strobe light that I usually use
I'm not a Skydio design engineer but based on some of the comments I've heard in Skydio interviews, the answer to your question would be YES. The six (6) OA cameras in the current S2 design only work well when nothing obstructs their view. Attaching any type of accessory would also probably void Skydio's warranty.

I usually have a strobe attached to my other drones.

Will putting a small strobe lite (see link) on the SkyDio 2 cause the obstacle avoidance system any issues/problems?

Strobe light that I usually use
They will probably obstruct the OA. But you can temporarily attach them and when you turn on the Skydio it will tell you if there is an obstruction and won't allow takeoff.
One smart little bird!

I doubt that that strobe would obstruct the view in an adverse way since it's pretty thin. Worst case it could be Velcro'd to the bottom of the battery which hangs in the lower OA cameras view. But the light from the LEDs might if seen by the OA cameras, I base that on the fact that low sun angles hamper the OA function. A flashing LED if seen by the cameras might throw it for a loop.

Reactions: Jim
I doubt that that strobe would obstruct the view in an adverse way since it's pretty thin. Worst case it could be Velcro'd to the bottom of the battery which hangs in the lower OA cameras view. But the light from the LEDs might if seen by the OA cameras, I base that on the fact that low sun angles hamper the OA function. A flashing LED if seen by the cameras might throw it for a loop.
It'll be interesting to see what happens when someone attaches anything to the S2 and it then has a crash. Chances are very good that drones flight recorder captures all the data it needs to to determine what might have interfered with the OA system from working as it should have.

Reactions: richinAZ
It'll be interesting to see what happens when someone attaches anything to the S2 and it then has a crash. Chances are very good that drones flight recorder captures all the data it needs to to determine what might have interfered with the OA system from working as it should have.
If I did something as contrary to the avoidance system as add bright lights to the drone and it crashed it'd be on me (not that I would attempt that and I wouldn't recommend it). I would only attempt a warranty repair/replacement if I was fully in compliance with their guidelines. I have no doubt the logs would indicate it if the avoidance was compromised by a LED strobe.

If Skydio hasn't already added a warning not to attach anything to the drone (in the S2's manual) they probably will in the very near future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES