Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Kayak test

That's wierd, I don't think I've seen mine do that, it launches spins around then acquires the subject, I'm watching this on the phone but I don't do anything button-wise until that's over. I'm wondering if it's having a hard time because you're 1/2 inside the Kayak at that time. If your standing out of the Kayak, does it acquire you normally?
It worked fine in my backyard just using the phone. I was wearing bright orange jacket and helmet there. At the lake, I was wearing tan shirt and ballcap which may have blended in with dirt/rocks on the river bank. Have to do some more tests.

I'm not sure I would take my Skydio 2 out on my Kayak.
I use my Mavic 2 Pro from my Kayak sometimes but I have a float kit for it. that has earned its keep by saving it from sinking after crashing into a tree.

I'm not sure I would take my Skydio 2 out on my Kayak.
I use my Mavic 2 Pro from my Kayak sometimes but I have a float kit for it. that has earned its keep by saving it from sinking after crashing into a tree.
You can't use any float kit on the S2, it wouldn't even let you take off since cameras wouldn't be able to create full 360 obstacle avoidance picture

Reactions: Mike_Flys
You can't use any float kit on the S2, it wouldn't even let you take off since cameras wouldn't be able to create full 360 obstacle avoidance picture
Yup!
That's my point. Guess I didn't make it very well.
I will keep using my Mavic 2 pro for Kayak/boat footage.
But all other tracking people or vehicles will most likely be done with My Skydio 2.

Mike

Trying to float any drone that is not waterproof is risky, I have built some waterproof floating quadcopters in the past. I think the best you can hope for with most drones is that you may keep them from sinking if they crash in the water, and if you have some way to recover them, they may be repaired or replaced if it is a warranted failure.
There may be a few places where some floatation could be added to the Skydio 2 without preventing it from flying, however it would not float upright. Most of the available real estate is on top.

Attachments

• dex 50 orange.jpg
    dex 50 orange.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Dex mini.JPG
    Dex mini.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Overall view cf dex.jpg
    Overall view cf dex.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mike_Flys
Trying to float any drone that is not waterproof is risky, I have built some waterproof floating quadcopters in the past. I think the best you can hope for with most drones is that you may keep them from sinking if they crash in the water, and if you have some way to recover them, they may be repaired or replaced if it is a warranted failure.
There may be a few places where some floatation could be added to the Skydio 2 without preventing it from flying, however it would not float upright. Most of the available real estate is on top.

I have recovered 2 drones from water crashes by running float kits.
A Mavic Pro, and a Mavic 2 pro.
Both worked great after they were dried out. and are still flying today.
Luckily it was fresh water each time.
If not for the float kit I would have lost each of them and the sd cards containing the footage I was shooting.

Side note, as risky as some people may think it is I have done dozens and dozens of water landings/takeoffs with my float-equipped drones, I have with airplanes as well. Landing an airplane on the water is one of the most fun things I have ever done.

Here is a video from my Mavic Pro crash in the Dora cannel.

I have recovered 2 drones from water crashes by running float kits.
A Mavic Pro, and a Mavic 2 pro.
Both worked great after they were dried out. and are still flying today.
Luckily it was fresh water each time.
If not for the float kit I would have lost each of them and the sd cards containing the footage I was shooting.

Side note, as risky as some people may think it is I have done dozens and dozens of water landings/takeoffs with my float-equipped drones, I have with airplanes as well. Landing an airplane on the water is one of the most fun things I have ever done.

Here is a video from my Mavic Pro crash in the Dora cannel.
My hope is that the Skydio 2 won't crash because of its excellent obstacle avoidance. The kinds of water I will be padding in, ther will be no hope of staying upright with any kind of floats and recovery may likely be impossible.

Attachments

• Bob on Cat.jpg
    Bob on Cat.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 2
My hope is that the Skydio 2 won't crash because of its excellent obstacle avoidance. The kinds of water I will be padding in, ther will be no hope of staying upright with any kind of floats and recovery may likely be impossible.
I'm sure it will be fine if you're careful.
Watch the skinny leafless branches.

Floating upright is not the important thing. Being able to recover it is.
Repairing a recovered drone from the water aside, I always want to recover the sd card.

I'm looking forward to seeing your footage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayrrr