Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Keyframes are crazy amazing!!!

thank you! that was really helpful. I can't wait for it to get more robust! In the meantime, we work within the limitations. I guess for New Year's, I'm going to have to brush up on my flying skills...

It's already a stressful day as I'm primarily a photographer and videographer, not a drone guy. I love drones but they're a lot of work and a hobby for me. Autonomous flight is what attracted me to Skydio.

I did my first (and only) test yesterday. I took two batteries and used the first one to plan out and set the path with the idea being to use the second battery to fly it. First mistake: I did not realize I had to hit "Done" to save the keyframe. The launch with the second battery showed me that I had to fly and set the path again, forcing me to make this one short and quick. Second mistake: I was assuming better positional accuracy, similar to what I used to see with the 3DR Solo. Instead it flew a more nail-biting path among many thin branches. In addition I aborted the flight before the last two keys when it started to fly over someone's property on the left, far from where I had set the final positions.

Regardless, a good first effort.

Would be nice if when landing with an unfinished path it could auto-"done" or perhaps present pop-up a warning.

Keyframe test at Moeckel Pond

Reactions: ETdronehome
Second mistake: I was assuming better positional accuracy, similar to what I used to see with the 3DR Solo. Instead it flew a more nail-biting path among many thin branches. In addition I aborted the flight before the last two keys when it started to fly over someone's property on the left, far from where I had set the final positions.

Watched your video and went "whoa!" at some of the close calls. I'm wondering if it might help with accuracy by putting multiple keyframe points tight together in specific areas like along the creek?

It's already a stressful day as I'm primarily a photographer and videographer, not a drone guy. I love drones but they're a lot of work and a hobby for me. Autonomous flight is what attracted me to Skydio.

I'm with you -- I'm primarily a photographer too and initially thought drones would be too much work but I've been shown ways to simplify what I get out of it and enjoy the process. So we'll see. I'll be using it mostly for aerial photographs anyway.

Ray

Reactions: NightStorm
I did my first (and only) test yesterday. I took two batteries and used the first one to plan out and set the path with the idea being to use the second battery to fly it. First mistake: I did not realize I had to hit "Done" to save the keyframe. The launch with the second battery showed me that I had to fly and set the path again, forcing me to make this one short and quick. Second mistake: I was assuming better positional accuracy, similar to what I used to see with the 3DR Solo. Instead it flew a more nail-biting path among many thin branches. In addition I aborted the flight before the last two keys when it started to fly over someone's property on the left, far from where I had set the final positions.

Regardless, a good first effort.

Would be nice if when landing with an unfinished path it could auto-"done" or perhaps present pop-up a warning.

Keyframe test at Moeckel Pond
That’s a beautiful setting you chose. Although I’m not sure it was the best place to try out a new feature 😀
Nail biting for sure!!

Having read a number of threads I think Skydio should publish more guidance on how best to use the new Keyframe feature. Maybe more detailed flightschools or something. A lot of people are experimenting and finding issues like you are about it not Saving etc. Frustrating to put a lot of work into setup and then find out the effort was for nothing.

It is a beauty of a video though and only a Skydio flier can appreciate the OA bits 😎

You guys might not realise, but Kendall Martin is the Marketing Manager for Skydio

And before that came from GoPro

Click bait get's more eyeballs

the video that he (or whoever they hired to do it) was incredible.

the proof is always in the results so unless you're trying to say that the video was fake and not filmed with the Skydio 2+ and keyframes, then it's not really important that he works for Skydio.

if anything, the video is an inspirational video meant to give you ideas of how to use the feature. I can't imagine how many takes it took to get some of those shots. Then again, it takes many takes to get any kind of good shot manually as well. controlling both the drone and the camera at the same time in a complex shot is hard.

hopefully I have time this weekend to play with the feature.

Reactions: RiverEagle
the video that he (or whoever they hired to do it) was incredible.

Yes, but either the program used to process it, YouTubes processing of it or the SD card/drone interface introduced a frames dropping effect into the footage. I hate that, especially if it's intentional.

Yes, but either the program used to process it, YouTubes processing of it or the SD card/drone interface introduced a frames dropping effect into the footage. I hate that, especially if it's intentional.
YouTube really destroys a lot of footage and it's hard to reason why it happens because it's hard to pinpoint the reason. Like I uploaded a video that was pristine (not drone footage) but after YouTube processed it, there will be a green frame near the beginning. I erased and reuploaddd it and the same thing. So something in their encoder. I also can't control the artifacting in some videos when there wasn't in the original. I even resorted to various guides I found on the internet and after trying all of them, I just came to the conclusion that you can't figure out the algorithm. Just upload best quality and cross your fingers.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
The more things change, the more they are the same. This was 5 years ago.

The information VEGASROBBI just share is very precious, and this kind of real information can only be learned by spending a lot of time and money.

Everyone in this community, of course, loves Skydio. And no one will attack Skydio unreasonably on this professional community.

It doesn't hurt to listen to the opposite opinions of some predecessors, even if they are different from the mainstream opinion of Skydio.

No argue, just listen. Being able to listen to different opinions is actually very valuable. No one has the responsibility to provide these opinions.

If you just happen to see there is a different or unpleasant opinion, please give more gentle encouragement. It is not easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
The more things change, the more they are the same. This was 5 years ago.

I loved the 3DR Solo. I actually picked it up when the company was imploding so I got it on a budget and it was a lot of fun. They were so advanced for the time and it's so sad that DJI won out. If it had obstacle avoidance and didn't depend on the very specific GoPro 4, they could've gone places...

I loved the 3DR Solo. I actually picked it up when the company was imploding so I got it on a budget and it was a lot of fun. They were so advanced for the time and it's so sad that DJI won out. If it had obstacle avoidance and didn't depend on the very specific GoPro 4, they could've gone places...
Very true, DJI was afraid of 3DR's technology; Frank Wang tried to buy them out. Lots of bad decisions on 3DR's part but still an awesome drone.

I own five Solo's, first one cost me $1,100 and the last one $199 lol.

If Skydio can get close to Solo's autonomous moves the S2 will be in a class of it's own. Actually the S2 already is in a class of it's own, I just purchased another one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup