My repair story : A cautionary tale

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
H

Last edited:

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Here's a crash from 8 mos ago. I had to blow the motors out but otherwise it was fine.

Thanks for going back and digging this one out of all your clips....

Any idea as to why some are reporting videos involving crashing stop short of the actual crash?

Your reference to the battery suddenly separating would sure be a good reason but others don't seem to mention that as a probable cause.

Ridefreak

Wiki Editor
Reaction score
I've had it crash about 3 times, every time the battery was found right near the drone. I don't always think the battery coming loose is the reason for the end of the video, once it crashed in a situation I don't think was caused by hitting anything. The drone had lost lock on me, reviewing the video the feed suddenly stopped while the drone was 8' off the ground. The drone was flying fast, about 8 feet off the ground with a loss of subject lock and suddenly the video stops and I find the drone on the ground. ???

You can see in that video above, the drone kinda lost it's mind. I'm still impressed, it did a flip in the air and continued flying but any lock it had on the subject was lost. I don't know if there's any machine learning but the drone seems to do better the more I fly it.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Another way to look at it would be that what you're seeing when the drone lost its mind was in fact the aftermath of a collision.

Not sure why the collision isn't obvious on the video but the fact that in all 3 cases you found the battery separated, seems to be saying something.

Also, how much the loss of lock plays in the crashes (if at all) adds another wrinkle to figuring out what actually happened.

SteveCJr

Reaction score
I'm no software genius, but I'm pretty sure the video can't be saved every second without using up a lot of unnecessary processing power. It's probably set to save every 30 seconds or so in the case of power loss, the entire video isn't gone. In that case, unless you are "lucky" enough to crash right before a save point, chances are you won't see the crash.

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
I'm no software genius, but I'm pretty sure the video can't be saved every second without using up a lot of unnecessary processing power. It's probably set to save every 30 seconds or so in the case of power loss, the entire video isn't gone. In that case, unless you are "lucky" enough to crash right before a save point, chances are you won't see the crash.
That's correct, that's why there is more complete footage in low res saved to the phone.

OldBlueHeron

Reaction score
Little update, sent my logs and pics and waiting to see what Skydio says. I’ll keep everyone posted. Painless so far...

Reactions: skydioconvert

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
In my one and only crash the filming stopped almost instantly when it hit my vehicle; and the battery was still connected when I retrieved it.

After I hand catch my S2 I noticed that the rear light blinks for two to three seconds and then turns blue at which point I shut it off. Once I shut it off as soon as I caught it and the light was still yellow and I lost that video.

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
In my one and only crash the filming stopped almost instantly when it hit my vehicle; and the battery was still connected when I retrieved it.

After I hand catch my S2 I noticed that the rear light blinks for two to three seconds and then turns blue at which point I shut it off. Once I shut it off as soon as I caught it and the light was still yellow and I lost that video.
Perhaps there was short power interruption.
Did you check the logs video?

skydioconvert

Reaction score

Maybe a crash involving even a momentary stopping of one or more motors triggers a video stoppage.

The 2-3 seconds to shift from yellow to blue could mean that the video updates every 2-3 seconds UNTIL a shut down occurs.

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
Perhaps there was short power interruption.
Did you check the logs video?
I haven’t because I know the cause. I don’t know but I feel the camera turn off was intentional, it turned off at the instant of impact.

Reactions: Lifeisfun

Lifeisfun

Reaction score
How do you review 'the logs video'?

Skydioskip

Reaction score
This whole repair ordeal is not very encouraging for me.
My S2 is ready to ship and I still have 50 days to finalize, but the above described scenario and the horrible and expensive customer support makes me re-think my decision to go for the S2.
I don't expect it to be perfect in obstacle avoidance, but the glitches I read about in this whole thread and the repair experience make me hold off of the deal for now.:cry:
Might even cancel it altogether.
So far I am happy with my DJI Mavic Air-2 and the customer support was outstanding . . .

VEGASROBBI

Reaction score
I felt Skydio CS was "different". The fact they recalled my S2 for a broken prop plate then replaced the unit for $200 was new too me.

My S2 was turned around quickly and communication was very good; I believe our situations were very different.

My M2 can't come close to doing what my S2 does so it's staying on the shelf.

skydioconvert

Reaction score
This whole repair ordeal is not very encouraging for me.
My S2 is ready to ship and I still have 50 days to finalize, but the above described scenario and the horrible and expensive customer support makes me re-think my decision to go for the S2.
I don't expect it to be perfect in obstacle avoidance, but the glitches I read about in this whole thread and the repair experience make me hold off of the deal for now.:cry:
Might even cancel it altogether.
So far I am happy with my DJI Mavic Air-2 and the customer support was outstanding . . .
Best to do what makes you feel comfortable....

P.S. I had a very different experience when dealing with DJI Customer Support.

KenB

Reaction score
Wow! I'm currently going through my own little tech nightmare. I wound up resolving it on my own

skydioconvert

Reaction score
Think we need to cut Skydio Help a little slack.... INMHO they've done well considering the handicaps that the virus has imposed on them

Reactions: VEGASROBBI

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ABM