Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New custom case arrived today.

LivinLarge

Reaction score
Ordered a custom case from mycasebuilder.com using their mycasebuilder j171 case. You can use the app on their site to cut out the foam and arrange the components however you wish. They have a library of templates including the Skydio 2 and accessories.
I designed mine to carry 3 batteries including one attached to the drone. It also has room for the controller, beacon, charger, cables, spare props and filters. It took 17 days from the day I ordered to arrive. The cost was $67.68. This was the smallest case I could find to fit everything. It is well made and durable but not completely waterproof. It fits in my backpack and is not too heavy. The outside dimensions are 15 x 11 x 4 3/8.

Attachments

• backpack.JPG
    backpack.JPG
    570.3 KB · Views: 98
  • open size compare.JPG
    open size compare.JPG
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 92
  • top view size compare.JPG
    top view size compare.JPG
    995.7 KB · Views: 91
  • edge view size compare.JPG
    edge view size compare.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 96
  • inside fit.JPG
    inside fit.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Nicely done design ... any chance that you can provide an empty weight?

Made a stencil and painted the Skydio logo on both sides of the case. Skydio recognizes it and lands just fine. I made the logo a bit larger to match the size of the case.

Attachments

• Stencil.JPG
    Stencil.JPG
    975.6 KB · Views: 14
Does the larger logo affect either how quickly (at what altitude) or how accurately the S2 finds the logo?

Does the larger logo affect either how quickly (at what altitude) or how accurately the S2 finds the logo?
Hard to say for sure. I tested an 11" diameter logo and a 32" round landing pad and the Skydio would find the 5" one on the Skydio case first. I tried an 8" logo on a larger mock up of the case shape and the Skydio found it more quickly than the 5" one on the original case. My new case is an inch bigger in width about 11 instead of 10. I made the stencil 5.7" diameter.

Some puzzling results there... what seem to be some good guesses on what most effects how well the Skydio logo searching algorithm works may just not be correct. Maybe something as simple as changing visibility in the landing zone or the affect of how the wind changes ALSO plays a bigger part than imagined.

Very nice! Thanks for the detailed pics.

For the super-lazy, is there any way to order your design directly without having to configure it ourselves?

Very nice! Thanks for the detailed pics.

For the super-lazy, is there any way to order your design directly without having to configure it ourselves?
You could contact them and see. My order number was #48822. I would recommend some slight changes. The small rectangular cutout above the drone (marked "open" in my photo) could be enlarged to 5/8 wide instead of 1/2 and it will fit the Freewell filter pack if you have that.
I ordered the stiffer foam and the cutouts for the batteries were rather tight. The Skydio itself was a bit snug too. Opening these up by 1/32" all around would be good. Probably won't be a problem if your get the softer foam. I used a Dremel tool with a flapper wheel to add some clearance to mine.

Ordered a custom case from mycasebuilder.com using their mycasebuilder j171 case. You can use the app on their site to cut out the foam and arrange the components however you wish. They have a library of templates including the Skydio 2 and accessories.
I designed mine to carry 3 batteries including one attached to the drone. It also has room for the controller, beacon, charger, cables, spare props and filters. It took 17 days from the day I ordered to arrive. The cost was $67.68. This was the smallest case I could find to fit everything. It is well made and durable but not completely waterproof. It fits in my backpack and is not too heavy. The outside dimensions are 15 x 11 x 4 3/8.
Thank you for posting this, I was inspired to try one myself and it arrived today. I used the J-174 case which is 1" x 1.5" larger with the same thickness. This is perfect as I am looking for something to give reasonable protection as I carry the Skydio 2 about but I don't need to keep it safe from marauding elephants, gorillas, etc. This does the job nicely and is quite compact. I currently have only two batteries but like you made the design hold three (with one attached).

Pictures here:

Attachments

• PXL_20201120_151757735.jpg
    PXL_20201120_151757735.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20201120_151850755.jpg
    PXL_20201120_151850755.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20201120_151916542.jpg
    PXL_20201120_151916542.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20201120_152043917.jpg
    PXL_20201120_152043917.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 23
Looks good. I wanted the smallest possible so as to fit in my back pack. Did you get the soft or hard foam. I got the harder foam and it was a bit hard to get the batteries out. It was also a little snug on the Skydio.

I got the default hard foam and have the same issue. The template for the Skydio is a bit off, too small around the back. It does fit but requires convincing. Same with the batteries. I wish I had made the battery slots less deep so that they stuck up slightly from the foam so as to make them easier to grab. Nonetheless it works.

I made one mistake: the slot for the beacon is too deep. Easy to solve: just stuffed some foam down below and all is well. I like how light and compact the case is, the J-171 must be even better.

Reactions: dontpanic
I got the default hard foam and have the same issue. The template for the Skydio is a bit off, too small around the back. It does fit but requires convincing. Same with the batteries. I wish I had made the battery slots less deep so that they stuck up slightly from the foam so as to make them easier to grab. Nonetheless it works.

I made one mistake: the slot for the beacon is too deep. Easy to solve: just stuffed some foam down below and all is well. I like how light and compact the case is, the J-171 must be even better.
I used a dremmel tool with a small flapper wheel to open the cutout for the Skydio. I looped a 1" wide ribbon under the batteries which made them easier to remove from the case.

How is the J-171/174 case as far as waterproofing and impact? I've been sifting through casebuilder for past hour trying to come up with the smallest possible case and landed on the J-174. My main issue is depth. I need the outside depth (height?) of the case to be smaller than 4.75 which the J-174 just squeezes under. My intention is to mount the case on the back on my snowmobile so it'll definitely get snow on it.

The J-174 is a light weight, inexpensive case that, with the foam, will offer adequate impact protection. It is not as good as something like a Nanuk. Water-proof is not its thing but I believe brief dunks or some rain on the closed case will have the contents faring fine. I find the latches are the weakest point as they are simple plastic tension closures and likely won't last all that long. There is also no pressure relief valve like you will find on more expensive cases. These inexpensive cases are in themselves pressure relief devices.
;)

I'm happy, I think I got fair value, and the case suits my purpose. Plus it was a lot of fun using their foam-design tool and then seeing what I wrought!

The J-174 is a light weight, inexpensive case that, with the foam, will offer adequate impact protection. It is not as good as something like a Nanuk. Water-proof is not its thing but I believe brief dunks or some rain on the closed case will have the contents faring fine. I find the latches are the weakest point as they are simple plastic tension closures and likely won't last all that long. There is also no pressure relief valve like you will find on more expensive cases. These inexpensive cases are in themselves pressure relief devices.
;)

I'm happy, I think I got fair value, and the case suits my purpose. Plus it was a lot of fun using their foam-design tool and then seeing what I wrought!
Thanks for feedback think I'll go ahead and purchase one.

Did the skydio template on the case builder have the space included for the battery beneath it or did you need to add that separately? Configuring mine now

Did the skydio template on the case builder have the space included for the battery beneath it or did you need to add that separately? Configuring mine now
Yes, it has space for the battery with the case builder template.

The Skydio template has 5 parts, the center part having the battery beneath is on the order of 2.75 inches deep. Sufficient for the battery beneath. IIRC I reduced the depth of many parts so that the component would be slightly above the foam to make it easier to grip (which is OK as most cases have a foam lining on the cover).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup