Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New S2+ crashed on first day of use

dstewart

Reaction score
I was recently flying a brand new S2+ & new controller using DroneDeploy for mapping. Launched & landed 2 times, with no issues. 3rd flight was ended early, when DroneDeploy showed 'connection lost' and the S2+ returned to home and landed ok. The 4th flight ended in a crash - The S2+ dropped 200' without warning and landed on concrete (no injuries, no other damage). Skydio told me that because I was using DroneDeploy there are no flight logs available. There are LRV videos for each flight. The 4th flight's video shows the drone take a very slight dip then it ends. There's no video of the drone falling. Skydio told me that if the video cuts out, this would indicate that the battery has been removed from the body of the drone. They suspect it was a bird or an object that struck the drone. I was about 250' away and didn't see a bird or anything else strike it.

I also have a S2 that I've flown for over 2 years on a weekly basis with no issues like this. I like the Skydio products and hope that this problem is isolated.

Has anyone seen or heard of similar situation or sudden power loss issues with the S2+? Any thoughts as to what could have stopped the drone in mid-flight?

I don't know how old your batteries are but my S2 fell out of the sky a few times. I was stumped at first but figured it out eventually.

My batteries had a lot of flights on them, and the bottom surface was ever so slightly bulged. They fit fine in the drone but after a few minutes of flight they would swell enough to cause a disconnect and my S2 would fall like a brick. I purchased new batteries and so far no more problems.

I don't know how old your batteries are but my S2 fell out of the sky a few times. I was stumped at first but figured it out eventually.

My batteries had a lot of flights on them, and the bottom surface was ever so slightly bulged. They fit fine in the drone but after a few minutes of flight they would swell enough to cause a disconnect and my S2 would fall like a brick. I purchased new batteries and so far no more problems.
Thanks for the response I'll watch out for that with my older S2 & batteries. In this case I was flying a new S2+ with all new 2+ batteries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup