Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

New update 2/10/2021?

Two widely different ranges with no other differences in the flights except for the environment???

What do you mean by "environment"?? .... weather?? .... location?? ... altitude?? ....??
Well 1,000ft is about what I always get. I just mean it was a different place, physically. 2,200ft test was over a massive field, while 1,000ft was over an empty park. In fact, while it made it to 1,000, I was still having signal issues sometimes as close as 600-800ft. Really pathetic if you ask me. I could maybe understand that if I was in a crowded city skyscape with tons of building blocking line of site and large antennas.

That being said, I've tossed my Magic out a window on the 30th floor of a skyscraper in Malaysia and flown a circle around the building without even so much as a hiccup. I don't think this drone could do that. Not until I mod the antennas. Doing some research on where to intercept the wires and what the best kind of antenna is. I'll likely intercept, then attach a standard antenna mount for testing.

Well 1,000ft is about what I always get. I just mean it was a different place, physically. 2,200ft test was over a massive field, while 1,000ft was over an empty park. In fact, while it made it to 1,000, I was still having signal issues sometimes as close as 600-800ft. Really pathetic if you ask me. I could maybe understand that if I was in a crowded city skyscape with tons of building blocking line of site and large antennas.

That being said, I've tossed my Magic out a window on the 30th floor of a skyscraper in Malaysia and flown a circle around the building without even so much as a hiccup. I don't think this drone could do that. Not until I mod the antennas. Doing some research on where to intercept the wires and what the best kind of antenna is. I'll likely intercept, then attach a standard antenna mount for testing.
In all honesty everything I've come across about antenna design is "far" more complicated than most want to explore. Antenna alterations more often than not also worsen the the reception.

Any mods you make to the S2 will also probably void your warranty so be sure your willing to take that risk.

In all honesty everything I've come across about antenna design is "far" more complicated than most want to explore. Antenna alterations more often than not also worsen the the reception.

Any mods you make to the S2 will also probably void your warranty so be sure your willing to take that risk.
Living your life with that mantra won't get you far, my friend. I modify everything I own.

Well I didn't think I could paint my own cars, automate the windows in my house, or learn acoustics and electronics well enough to build my own portable power station with home theater grade audio system. You never know til you dig in, sir.

That being said, I'm not going to modify the existing antenna. At most, I'll unsolder the wires so I can put them back later. Use ribbon cables to go external without drilling holes. Then use some sort of adhesive to mount a u.L style antenna post on each side. Downward-firing. Maybe a foot long. Play with that versus facing up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup