Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

'Poor GPS , move for better coverage...'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgilbertsen

Reaction score
This (or something like this) often shows on my phones screen when attempting to elevate after starting a flight. Usually at about 38-40 feet off the ground. It'll say to move and try again, which sometimes works - even by moving just 20 feet. There are other times where no matter how far I move the height limit never goes away and I have to just forget about the whole flight. I've gone to a particular sight that I'd like to shoot on several different days, always with that same darn result.
Any ideas on why this happens, and how I might resolve it?
I'm using the Skydio 2 with the latest firmware, controller, and a Samsung Note 9.

I have gotten that message when my flight begins after take off, but it’s been just briefly and clears up after the S2 moves some. I usually launch from the same spot, I’ve noticed my other Aircraft either find Sats quickly or not.

I have gotten that message when my flight begins after take off, but it’s been just briefly and clears up after the S2 moves some. I usually launch from the same spot, I’ve noticed my other Aircraft either find Sats quickly or not.
Just tried again today from the same spot, with the same result - Poor GPS, try moving... This time I was sure to move around quite a bit looking for a way to gain elevation. No luck. I also noticed that the drone was not hovering smoothly as it usually does.
The UAV Forecast app showed Good To Fly. I don't get it. There's no reason for the drone NOT to fly, yet it will not go over about 40 feet at this location...

I did yesterday get a GPS warning but it was brief as I just flew the drone some and it cleared. I have moved to a different spot just 30 feet away and the S2 works flawlessly.

I too have been irritated by this Skydio2 characteristic. For whatever reason it does not acquire a good GPS fix until it has moved laterally some distance and it won't rise above 20 or 30 feet. There are times when the only option is vertical and thus the Skydio won't rise.

Reactions: kgilbertsen
I too have been irritated by this Skydio2 characteristic. For whatever reason it does not acquire a good GPS fix until it has moved laterally some distance and it won't rise above 20 or 30 feet. There are times when the only option is vertical and thus the Skydio won't rise.
I had two flights today - one successful and one unsuccessful. Both started with the same GPS message to move. The successful flight was resolved quickly with movement of maybe 20 feet laterally.
The unsuccessful flight happened along the Chicago River, that has to be about 300 feet wide at that point. I flew the Skydio across the river, up and down the river - and it never could gain elevation. Really odd behavior for sure.

It should have acquired a full signal with that much movement, maybe contact Skydio and ask them about your second flight.

That was my first flight actually, the next flight was successful. But I don't think it matters. As I have only done 6 or 8 flights, I don't know if I will be in a huge hurry to get Skydio involved. If it continues,, I may contact them to see what they think, and if they'd like to see the logs from any of the unsuccessful flights. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Humboldt Mtn flyer
Any updates on this issue? I couldn't rise up higher than 12-15 ft in between mountains due to poor GPS. Ruined my trip. Hovered for 10 min and no luck. How to override this stupidness? Last firmware still not giving any options, but they gave an option to override legal hight limit >400ft. Unbelievable....

Any updates on this issue? I couldn't rise up higher than 12-15 ft in between mountains due to poor GPS. Ruined my trip. Hovered for 10 min and no luck. How to override this stupidness? Last firmware still not giving any options, but they gave an option to override legal hight limit >400ft. Unbelievable....
I'll still get the occasional limit initially. There's now an option to have the drone fly around and find it's own way to a better signal OR fly it manually and find a better signal on your own. It usually only involves a short distance to get that adequate lock, but I'm sure it will depend on your current surroundings.

I'll still get the occasional limit initially. There's now an option to have the drone fly around and find it's own way to a better signal OR fly it manually and find a better signal on your own. It usually only involves a short distance to get that adequate lock, but I'm sure it will depend on your current surroundings.
The question is how to completely ignore GPS presence to rise up. Sometimes it's absolutely not necessary and I have to stand and wait for it, draining battery for nothing.

The question is how to completely ignore GPS presence to rise up. Sometimes it's absolutely not necessary and I have to stand and wait for it, draining battery for nothing.
A good question...

I'm pretty sure this drone can't ignore the gps, because of the way the software operates it's needed to fly. At any time in the flight it may need to rely on GPS to navigate, it's fundamental to tracking, RTH and most of the drone's skills.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI
I'm pretty sure this drone can't ignore the gps, because of the way the software operates it's needed to fly. At any time in the flight it may need to rely on GPS to navigate, it's fundamental to tracking, RTH and most of the drone's skills.
So letting consumers ignore FAA height limit and fly illegally with potentially running into helicopter is okay, but ignoring GPS in certain conditions to rise higher is not okay? There is no sense.
I needed to go higher than 15-20 ft just to catch that GPS.

So letting consumers ignore FAA height limit and fly illegally with potentially running into helicopter is okay, but ignoring GPS in certain conditions to rise higher is not okay? There is no sense.
Your response not only doesn't make any sense, it's also a rude response to someone taking the time to answer your question. Many of us have been flying this drone for years now, we don't fly up to "catch the GPS". Good luck with that trick.

Your response not only doesn't make any sense, it's also a rude response to someone taking the time to answer your question. Many of us have been flying this drone for years now, we don't fly up to "catch the GPS". Good luck with that trick.
Well I fly it 4 years and so what? If you feel bothered, don't answer, because you sound like embarrassed Skydio employee, who tries to justify the nonsense in the firmware, ignoring the fact of allowed FAA bypass I have mentioned, comparing to GPS.

i don't see the purpose of flying it manually. hit the button for auto acquisition seems to work just fine and within seconds and to be honest, this should be done automatically. in the rare instance it does not then allow unlimited flight from the drone during the manual mode.

but you know why it isn't feasible to force a drone to comply with the current faa 400 agl rule; pretty disingenuous to frame it as "letting consumer ignore...." there are at least a dozen reasons why.

but you know why it isn't feasible to force a drone to comply with the current faa 400 agl rule; pretty disingenuous to frame it as "letting consumer ignore...." there are at least a dozen reasons why.
Actually I don't why FAA rule isn't feasible to force, while GPS is.
What manual mode you have been talking about? I can't find anything manual in the iOS app+controller connected except for floor limit bypass.
I had a really bad situation in between 300 ft high crack in the mountain where I was not able to rise drone due to this GPS limit thing, drained entire battery and it never went higher than 15 ft. Do you really think it's reasonable? And what if drone is going to hit an obstacle on it's way home and got gps lost, it will still going to lock itself at 15-20 ft height and hit whatever comes on it's way?
This is absurd.

Actually I don't why FAA rule isn't feasible to force, while GPS is.
What manual mode you have been talking about? I can't find anything manual in the iOS app+controller connected except for floor limit bypass.
I had a really bad situation in between 300 ft high crack in the mountain where I was not able to rise drone due to this GPS limit thing, drained entire battery and it never went higher than 15 ft. Do you really think it's reasonable? And what if drone is going to hit an obstacle on it's way home and got gps lost, it will still going to lock itself at 15-20 ft height and hit whatever comes on it's way?
This is absurd.
what "faa rule" do you think skydio should enforce? just so we are clear and there is no confusion, tell me the rule/law which you are referring to. if it's what i am thinking about, earlier i said i have 12 reasons and honestly, im shocked that you don't know of at least 1 reason why it would be difficult to impossible for the drone to enforce. so let's make sure you and i are on the same page with that "rule."

i understand your predicament. to be honest, i don't know what you can do. unless you can get a good gps, there are limitations placed on your drone and i don't know how to bypass those limitations. how were you flying the drone when you got jammed up, rc remote, beacon, mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup