Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Range Test Not So Good!

Meh, 4000ft for this drone is actually not bad. I would be more then ok with that.

Can you actually see the drone almost a mile away, I doubt I could.

Reactions: FASTFJR
So, that being said, is it legal to fly beyond the line of sight?

If so how does this rule play into that?
"Keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you."

I'm not familiar with the aspects of flying beyond the line of sight and would like to understand what's ok to do and what isn't.

If DJI pilots who routinely fly much further than 4000 ft with or without a spotter have not run afoul of law enforcement, why would the S2 be any different? Drone manufacturers openly advertise ranges "way" beyond LOS, yet law enforcement seems to take a blind eye toward trying to curb such capability. Proving a violation of the LOS regulation has got to be almost impossible to do.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
If DJI pilots who routinely fly much further than 4000 ft with or without a spotter have not run afoul of law enforcement, why would the S2 be any different? Drone manufacturers openly advertise ranges "way" beyond LOS, yet law enforcement seems to take a blind eye toward trying to curb such capability. Proving a violation of the LOS regulation has got to be almost impossible to do.
VLOS is just plain ridiculous for something as small as a drone. After a couple hundred feet you can lose sight of it, after that its flying from the camera view only, and that is more accurate than trying to watch and keep track of a dot in the sky.
It's much more important where you fly than how far.
I'm sure these FAA rules will change and evolve over time.

If distance is what you want this isn't one you want. Is not what it is designed for.
Video was just posted to show what that guy got .
Now let's not let this thread turn into a debate over flying BVLOS.
Thanks

Can you actually see the drone almost a mile away, I doubt I could.

I always find it amusing reading the threads about distance. This person flew 6000ft, another person flew 8000ft. Considering we are all supposed to fly LOS........

Range tests are important in the sense that it gives you an idea of how it will perform in challenging circumstances. This test was performed in ideal conditions. Most of my flying is in the city, so I need a device that can deal with going behind a building, tree or some WiFi interference. I want the transmission to be consistent, I could live with 1000' as long as I always get that distance regardless of conditions. This has been my concern from the start with Skydio constantly showing people using the product out in the middle of no where with ZERO demonstrations in an urban setting. Even then there have been several instances of lost connections using the Beacon, Controller and a phone from very close range. It's worrisome...

Range tests are important in the sense that it gives you an idea of how it will perform in challenging circumstances. This test was performed in ideal conditions. Most of my flying is in the city, so I need a device that can deal with going behind a building, tree or some WiFi interference. I want the transmission to be consistent, I could live with 1000' as long as I always get that distance regardless of conditions. This has been my concern from the start with Skydio constantly showing people using the product out in the middle of no where with ZERO demonstrations in an urban setting. Even then there have been several instances of lost connections using the Beacon, Controller and a phone from very close range. It's worrisome...
Flying in a forest is far from ideal, its actually a pretty good test. Any rc pilot is aware of the fact that chances are better than good that you'll lose signal when flying behind a building... those that don't live to fly another day, those that do probably get a chance to test the drone company's warranty program.

Flying in a forest is far from ideal, its actually a pretty good test. Any rc pilot is aware of the fact that chances are better than good that you'll lose signal when flying behind a building... those that don't live to fly another day, those that do probably get a chance to test the drone company's warranty program.

I talked to Kendall, he was never very far away. If you look closely, he appears several times in the video. I'm pretty sure that he never actually lost connection. Which is great but he was out in the middle of nowhere. The absolute best conditions for what he was doing. I'm not going to have ideal conditions... Anyway, maybe I am being a little doom and gloom... I have $2000 in the wind, and so far a battery, ND filters and a controller to show for it! It definitely doesn't help that I've seen about a dozen Skydio 2 crashes so far!!! Hahahahaha!

I talked to Kendall, he was never very far away. If you look closely, he appears several times in the video. I'm pretty sure that he never actually lost connection. Which is great but he was out in the middle of nowhere. The absolute best conditions for what he was doing. I'm not going to have ideal conditions... Anyway, maybe I am being a little doom and gloom... I have $2000 in the wind, and so far a battery, ND filters and a controller to show for it! It definitely doesn't help that I've seen about a dozen Skydio 2 crashes so far!!! Hahahahaha!

Wow ...

I talked to Kendall, he was never very far away. If you look closely, he appears several times in the video. I'm pretty sure that he never actually lost connection. Which is great but he was out in the middle of nowhere. The absolute best conditions for what he was doing. I'm not going to have ideal conditions... Anyway, maybe I am being a little doom and gloom... I have $2000 in the wind, and so get far a battery, ND filters and a controller to show for it! It definitely doesn't help that I've seen about a dozen Skydio 2 crashes so far!!! Hahahahaha!
Wow... keeping that attitude is definitely help me to get my S2 that much quicker. Blessings come in all forms from the most unexpected of sources.

Wow ...

Wow... keeping that attitude is definitely help me to get my S2 that much quicker. Blessings come in all forms from the most unexpected of sources.

HUH? I should have mine next week according to Skydio! I'm not sure how that "blesses" you though... I just hope that it performs for my use case. I'll be happy!

HUH? I should have mine next week according to Skydio! I'm not sure how that "blesses" you though... I just hope that it performs for my use case. I'll be happy!
Here's hoping you start getting happier. Stopping now and following my own advice.

He may get visited by three ghosts tonight and be blessed tomorrow.

Merry Christmas everyone ⛄

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirSpur98