Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Rules when transporting on a plane?

kgilbertsen

Reaction score
We'll be going to Maui in about a month and of course I'd like to bring the drone. I'm assuming it's GOT to be carry-on due to the batteries, right? I wouldn't want to check it anyhow, but am wondering if anyone has had any issue with bringing it on? Anything I need to do or be aware of?

Looks like I'll need to know the wH of the batteries to be sure they're 100 or less each? 48.79

I plan on transporting the drone in it's original soft case, with 2 batteries. This will be in a backpack with the controller,, dual charger, a dSLR and a couple lenses.

Last edited:
You should be good. I have only flown twice with it, but I had no issues. Just pull it out of the bag like you would a laptop.

Reactions: kgilbertsen
You should be good. I have only flown twice with it, but I had no issues. Just pull it out of the bag like you would a laptop.
Yeah, OK, thanks. I'll have to be sure to get there early then, this backpacks gonna be put together like a Tetris game... 😀

We'll be going to Maui in about a month and of course I'd like to bring the drone. I'm assuming it's GOT to be carry-on due to the batteries, right? I wouldn't want to check it anyhow, but am wondering if anyone has had any issue with bringing it on? Anything I need to do or be aware of?

Looks like I'll need to know the wH of the batteries to be sure they're 100 or less each? 48.79

I plan on transporting the drone in it's original soft case, with 2 batteries. This will be in a backpack with the controller,, dual charger, a dSLR and a couple lenses.

You may check it on their website.

1. Electronics including drones that are lithium or lithium-ion battery operated. Lithium or lithium-ion batteries can overheat and cause harm. Electronics that are lithium or lithium-ion battery operated and exceed regulatory limits (are prohibited, other than (i) permitted assistive devices like wheelchairs or (ii) as an exception stated below. The following are some common examples of prohibited items and permitted exceptions:
    1. Lithium Drones are permitted if all power sources are removed and packed as stated in g (i), g (ii), and g (iii) below and do not exceed regulatory limits.
    2. E-cigarettes or electronic smoking devices, prohibited in checked baggage.
      Exception: Electronic smoking devices shall only be permitted in the passenger’s carry-on baggage.
    3. Tasers and other electro-shock weapons.
    4. Segway®-Human Transporters (HT).
    5. Hoverboards – two-wheeled, self-balancing personal transporter scooters.
    6. Smart Bags
      1. Check-In: Smart bags are accepted as checked baggage if the battery is removable. The battery must be removed prior to check-in. The detached battery, which must be carried in the cabin, must have its terminals isolated to prevent a short circuit.
      2. Carry-On: Smart bags are accepted as carry-on baggage if the battery is removable. Smart bags featuring removable batteries may be carried on and stored in the overhead bin providing that they remain turned off for the duration of the flight.
    7. Spare lithium and lithium-ion batteries must be transported in carry-on baggage only and must be packed as follows:
      1. Each passenger is permitted to carry-on two (2) spare batteries, not to exceed regulatory limits.
      2. Spare batteries must be kept away from metal objects, such as coins, keys, jewelry.
      3. Spare batteries should be kept in original retail packaging. If original packaging is not available, tape should be placed across battery terminals or each battery should be placed in its own individual plastic bag or protective pouch.

Last edited:

Another regulation I found is

< 100Wh | 20 spare batteries (max.) | Carry on
100Wh ~ 160Wh | 2 spares max. | Carry on

Since Skydio 2's battery is consumer-grade and it is only 48.79Wh, the quantity limit would be 20 (?). And, of course, you have to carry on them.

But, I can't find the "Wh" information on Hawaiian Airlines' website!

Now, there are two situations:

(1) Hawaii airlines website's information is correct and serious ==> You will run into trouble, because other batteries of the DSLR are counted towards the 2 spare battery limit! (Even the battery in the cell phone and controller are counted toward the limit)
(2) Hawaii airlines website's information is not so correct ==> You will be ok to bring more spares and enjoy the flight.

So, for the sake of safety, check with your airline about the battery regulation.

Portable Electronic Devices and Spare Batteries​

• Portable Electronic Devices (PED): e.g., Watch, Calculator, Camera, Cellular Phone, Laptop, Video, Drone, etc. If devices are carried in checked baggage, measures must be taken to prevent unintentional activation and to protect from damage, and the device must be completely switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode). With a watt-hour rating less or equal to 100Wh, each person is limited to a maximum of 15 PED and/or 20 spare batteries. The operator approval is required if a passenger carries more than 15 PED and/or 20 spare batteries.

Last edited:
You may check it on their website.

1. Electronics including drones that are lithium or lithium-ion battery operated. Lithium or lithium-ion batteries can overheat and cause harm. Electronics that are lithium or lithium-ion battery operated and exceed regulatory limits (are prohibited, other than (i) permitted assistive devices like wheelchairs or (ii) as an exception stated below. The following are some common examples of prohibited items and permitted exceptions:
    1. Lithium Drones are permitted if all power sources are removed and packed as stated in g (i), g (ii), and g (iii) below and do not exceed regulatory limits.
    2. E-cigarettes or electronic smoking devices, prohibited in checked baggage.
      Exception: Electronic smoking devices shall only be permitted in the passenger’s carry-on baggage.
    3. Tasers and other electro-shock weapons.
    4. Segway®-Human Transporters (HT).
    5. Hoverboards – two-wheeled, self-balancing personal transporter scooters.
    6. Smart Bags
      1. Check-In: Smart bags are accepted as checked baggage if the battery is removable. The battery must be removed prior to check-in. The detached battery, which must be carried in the cabin, must have its terminals isolated to prevent a short circuit.
      2. Carry-On: Smart bags are accepted as carry-on baggage if the battery is removable. Smart bags featuring removable batteries may be carried on and stored in the overhead bin providing that they remain turned off for the duration of the flight.
    7. Spare lithium and lithium-ion batteries must be transported in carry-on baggage only and must be packed as follows:
      1. Each passenger is permitted to carry-on two (2) spare batteries, not to exceed regulatory limits.
      2. Spare batteries must be kept away from metal objects, such as coins, keys, jewelry.
      3. Spare batteries should be kept in original retail packaging. If original packaging is not available, tape should be placed across battery terminals or each battery should be placed in its own individual plastic bag or protective pouch.
Unfortunately we're not flying Hawaiian Airlines... We'll be going United. They talk about batteries - looks like less than 100 wh is fine. But they don't specifically talk about drones. So I guess the TSA guidelines would prevail??

Unfortunately we're not flying Hawaiian Airlines... We'll be going United. They talk about batteries - looks like less than 100 wh is fine. But they don't specifically talk about drones. So I guess the TSA guidelines would prevail??

It seems to be good news.

Lithium batteries

You can pack personal devices that have lithium batteries of less than 100-watt hours in your checked and carry-on bags.
However, we don’t allow devices like e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers or power banks (including those installed in “smart bags”) in checked bags.

You can’t pack loose lithium batteries in checked bags. For loose lithium batteries in carry-on bags, you must individually protect each one to prevent short circuiting. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, separate plastic bags or protective pouches. You can also insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries can’t touch metal objects like coins, keys or jewelry. Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing or putting pressure on the battery as well.

Additionally, we allow up to two lithium batteries larger than 100 watt-hours but not exceeding 160 watt-hours to be packed in carry-on baggage only....

It seems to be good news.

Lithium batteries

You can pack personal devices that have lithium batteries of less than 100-watt hours in your checked and carry-on bags.
However, we don’t allow devices like e-cigarettes, personal vaporizers or power banks (including those installed in “smart bags”) in checked bags.

You can’t pack loose lithium batteries in checked bags. For loose lithium batteries in carry-on bags, you must individually protect each one to prevent short circuiting. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, separate plastic bags or protective pouches. You can also insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries can’t touch metal objects like coins, keys or jewelry. Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing or putting pressure on the battery as well.

Additionally, we allow up to two lithium batteries larger than 100 watt-hours but not exceeding 160 watt-hours to be packed in carry-on baggage only....
Yep, so I think that there should be no problem. Just packing and unpacking the backpack...

In March we'll be going to Australia to see our daughter and her family, and from what I've seen so far the rules look very similar. 👍

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
i recently took a bunch of huge autel batteries and no problem. 7 batteries. no one is going to check the rating or the charge on it. if you want to get fancy, put your batteries in those battery pouches. airlines don't usually have a problem with "oem" type stuff. your drone in a soft case in a soft back pack shouldn't be a problem but i would bring a hardcase in the car with you, just in case. you might run into a guy who might claim they don't want your goods to get damaged.

Two drones in my pack last flight to Florida over Xmas. Skydio 2, 4 Skydio batteries, DJI Mavic Air 2, 4 DJI Mavic batteries. I discharge them to at least half, put in Lipo bags. Not a problem. They did make me take them out of my bag before running them through the scanner. Usually they let me leave them in my pack but no issues. I didn't even get scrutinized this time. In the past I've had the secondary search. I generally have a ton of camera gear with me though in addition to a laptop, tablet, and two phones.. TSA loves me.

Two drones in my pack last flight to Florida over Xmas. Skydio 2, 4 Skydio batteries, DJI Mavic Air 2, 4 DJI Mavic batteries. I discharge them to at least half, put in Lipo bags. Not a problem. They did make me take them out of my bag before running them through the scanner. Usually they let me leave them in my pack but no issues. I didn't even get scrutinized this time. In the past I've had the secondary search. I generally have a ton of camera gear with me though in addition to a laptop, tablet, and two phones.. TSA loves me.
Thanks. Sounds like I should be OK, with just the 2 batteries, a laptop, 1 dSLR body and 2 lenses.

I ordered an extra battery just now - anybody able to tell me if it comes packaged able to be carried on the plane? Or will I need to buy some sort of container for this 'loose' battery?

I ordered an extra battery just now - anybody able to tell me if it comes packaged able to be carried on the plane? Or will I need to buy some sort of container for this 'loose' battery?

I need to ship batteries internationally, I did some study.

What I learned is that the original package (box) from the retailer/manufacturer will be the best option for air transportation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup