Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Ryan from Santa Clarita

ryan20083437

Reaction score
Hello,

This is Ryan from Santa Clarita, CA, checking in. I've flown my Skydio 2 only a few times but it is already proving to be a terrific drone!

Previously I have flown the DJI Spark and the Syma X5, the latter being used to gain manual flight experience in order to manage situations in which the DJI Spark enters "atti" mode. Yes, flying a manual drone as the X5 can go a long way toward preparing you for issues with a DJI drone since manual mode control skills are essential to avoiding drone loss and accidents due to flyaways, but I really prefer a machine with a truly reliable autopilot, to begin with. If you Google for "DJI flyaway" you'll see about 218,000 results and lots of videos. And I have had near-flyaway experiences with my own DJI Spark although, ultimately, I have been able to recover it: it's still here sitting near my Skydio 2! But my primary reason for choosing Skydio is very simple: I wish to eliminate flyaway problems with the attendant risk of a serious accident. I know that checking compass calibration prior to each flight can reduce the likelihood of a DJI flyaway, but you cannot eliminate it, especially if a compass failure occurs mid-flight, which is something I have experienced. Thankfully, Skydio 2 appears to be, at least so far, vastly more robust because it does not rely on a potentially failure-prone magnetic compass!

Ryan

Hello,

This is Ryan from Santa Clarita, CA, checking in. I've flown my Skydio 2 only a few times but it is already proving to be a terrific drone!

Previously I have flown the DJI Spark and the Syma X5, the latter being used to gain manual flight experience in order to manage situations in which the DJI Spark enters "atti" mode. Yes, flying a manual drone as the X5 can go a long way toward preparing you for issues with a DJI drone since manual mode control skills are essential to avoiding drone loss and accidents due to flyaways, but I really prefer a machine with a truly reliable autopilot, to begin with. If you Google for "DJI flyaway" you'll see about 218,000 results and lots of videos. And I have had near-flyaway experiences with my own DJI Spark although, ultimately, I have been able to recover it: it's still here sitting near my Skydio 2! But my primary reason for choosing Skydio is very simple: I wish to eliminate flyaway problems with the attendant risk of a serious accident. I know that checking compass calibration prior to each flight can reduce the likelihood of a DJI flyaway, but you cannot eliminate it, especially if a compass failure occurs mid-flight, which is something I have experienced. Thankfully, Skydio 2 appears to be, at least so far, vastly more robust because it does not rely on a potentially failure-prone magnetic compass!

Ryan

Congratulations Ryan with getting a first batch Skydio 2, you are quick on the draw many of us are kicking ourselves for not jumping on the first batch.

I agree, manually flying a quad like the x5 probably prepared you having a less chance of crashing. Definitely helpful with improving your flying skills, with the Skydio 2 probably feels like a breeze.

I live on opposite side of Grapevine, north about 85 miles north side of grapevine Denny’s entrance near Fort Tejon. You’re about 55 miles south from there, I do fly in this area in the winter and spring because of the mountain/hilly terrain. Great video footage to capture from this area, maybe we can meet near here in the future. I have a friend from Bakersfield who flys a Phantom 4 in this area as well, would be great if all of us met there someday in the future.

I’m on second batch with the Skydio 2, although I don’t have a DJI Spark do have a Mavic 2 Pro. Couple of other top end as well, I’ll be following your take with the Skydio in the coming months ahead. Please do share future experiences, did you get any of the other attachments controller or beacon?

I’m going to get both, beacon and Controller.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul

Welcome to the forum . (y)

Reactions: Blue Bird

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES