Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

S2 in the rain?

These are brushless motors so capped or not, they will do fine in the wet. The OA cameras on the other hand...
Mostly correct except no brushless motor is rated "waterproof" as they still require an ESC (Electronic Speed Control) that can be shorted if moisture finds its way into the wrong place.

IMG_20200410_090709002_resize_36_compress51.jpg

OA continued to work, and we'll, in the rain.

I received the lens dirty lens warning before in dusty conditions but my S2 continued to follow, maybe the OA bubble grew.

I've flown plenty of brushless motors in the rain, the motors on my PBY seaplane get soaked with no problem. Now my experience with ESC's is they will fry quickly if exposed to water.

View attachment 99

OA continued to work, and we'll, in the rain.

I received the lens dirty lens warning before in dusty conditions but my S2 continued to follow, maybe the OA bubble grew.

I've flown plenty of brushless motors in the rain, the motors on my PBY seaplane get soaked with no problem. Now my experience with ESC's is they will fry quickly if exposed to water.
I've been caught flying in a sudden rain (more than once) without anything bad happening but unless there were a very good reason I'd never do so on purpose.

P.S. Sorry if you thought I was questioning what you were saying.... I wasn't.

They don't didn't like getting filled with sand, tested that one. I had it clip a skinny branch half way up a sand hill. The S2 almost recovered but it was going fast and the dune was rising steeply in the direction it was flying so there wasn't enough time for it to fully correct, it tried. I took it home, blew out the motors and it was good to go, it's a very durable drone.

They don't didn't like getting filled with sand, tested that one. I had it clip a skinny branch half way up a sand hill. The S2 almost recovered but it was going fast and the dune was rising steeply in the direction it was flying so there wasn't enough time for it to fully correct, it tried. I took it home, blew out the motors and it was good to go, it's a very durable drone.
Used to do a lot of flying lifting off quickly from sandy beaches but eventually got smart and learned how to hand launch and hand recover.

Well worth learning that especially with the S2 since not only are motors kept away from flying debris but the S2's bottom facing camera lenses need to be protected from scratches.

Can't expect this little beast to fly well if it has to contend with poor eyesight.

Last edited:
I shot most of this video with Anafi since it was raining. I have used Anafi several times in the rain before and being essentially a dumb drone it does fine.

I was skeptical about using my S2 in the rain with all the cameras and sensors, but it did fine. I flew an entire battery in moderate rain without issue.

That picture of the truck reinforces my
Potential use--for Reconneituiring Pathfinder, Hikes, Off Roading, and
Modding...

Not "Can," Because They Most Likely Could,
But "Would" Skydio' CM [ Configuration Management ] andor Their Quality Control
Release Single-System Beta Firmware
Updates And The Performance Spec's
Of Their Indentured Parts Lists?

We Don't Need Their Sources...
Just 3dimensional Antenna Performance
Spec's? Front End noisefloor, Max dBm In?

Or is there a Passive "Feature" We Could Easily Add? Or Subtract?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES