Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Scheduled maintenance

JoeydDetroit

Reaction score
For you people who've been flying these for a while, and any Skydio reps; Can we start a discussion about "scheduled Maintenance" ? or MTBF?
This from a sample pt 107 exam:

Under what condition should the operator of a small UA establish scheduled maintenance protocol?UA.V.F.K1​

Correct​

Correct. "When the manufacturer does not provide a maintenance schedule."
[Yes, because you should know what the mean time between failures is or have an idea on what are the typical problems certain drones encounter so you can PREVENT crashes.]

Wrong. "UAS does not need a required maintenance schedule."
[I can hear it now from some of the droners “Maintenance…..We don’t need no stinkin maintenance.”]
Wrong. "When the FAA requires you to, following an accident."
[It is cheaper to do maintenance on the front end rather than on the pieces on the backend.]

The only scheduled maintenance guidance I recall coming from Skydio is "Clean all 7 lenses before and after each flight" "inspect blades for damage after each flight"
Nothing about batteries or anything else. I know from operating lithium powered TV cameras that when the battery gets old enough it will say it's fully charged, operate normally for an unpredictable period of time and suddenly w/o warning drop dead. in the case of a TV camera the worst thing is you miss some vitally important video. I have one time called Anton Bauer and gave them the serial number and they told me approximately when that was about to happen so I could replace it before then. It would be horrible to be flying a drone a couple hundred feet in the air and have the battery suddenly die.
It'd be nice if Skydio had a mechanism for advising about the end of life of these batteries.

What else can you guys think of or have any experience or knowledge of?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirSpur98