Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

SKYDIO 2 Range Test In-Depth - How Far Will It Go? Will It Return?

Thank you Dustin!

This guy always does consistent and reliable range tests. I was surprised when he said he was impressed with a mile under perfect conditions, especially when he got almost 3 1/2 miles out of the Mavic Mini. However, the footage was beautiful, the drone did a good job of returning home and I'm glad they fixed the battery management problem I had with the drone.

This guy always does consistent and reliable range tests. I was surprised when he said he was impressed with a mile under perfect conditions, especially when he got almost 3 1/2 miles out of the Mavic Mini. However, the footage was beautiful, the drone did a good job of returning home and I'm glad they fixed the battery management problem I had with the drone.
I can't get more then 1500ft before the video is choppy :( (No WiFi around)
Also funny how the telemetry shows -5FT (about 7min in to the video)

I can't get more then 1500ft before the video is choppy :( (No WiFi around)
Also funny how the telemetry shows -5FT (about 7min in to the video)

Yeah I installed range extenders on the remote before I got the drone so I'm not the best judge! Hahaha! Even with that, I struggled with range. Which is what prompted me to jump ship! I still think it's an awesome drone for what it does. It just doesn't do what I need it to. I wish they could come up with a Skydio 3 before DJI releases the Mavic 3 Pro. I'd happily buy it if it came with a 1" sensor and better range. The company itself it's top notch in my opinion!

Thank you Dustin!

Over a mile out in controlled flight before pixelation begins ... more than enough for a guy that flies only a little BVLOS. <GRIN>

Wonder how sketchy flying gets if he turned on the way out and the on-board antennas came in and out of ideal orientation???

Over a mile out in controlled flight before pixelation begins ... more than enough for a guy that flies only a little BVLOS. <GRIN>

Wonder how sketchy flying gets if he turned on the way out and the on-board antennas came in and out of ideal orientation???
Except Dustin achieved miracle result compare to anything else I seen.

Except Dustin achieved miracle result compare to anything else I seen.
His test (other than being done in and out of fog layers) was done in ideal conditions with the S2's antennas in the ideal position for the entire flight.

If he had turned the S2 chances are good that the results would not be any where near that miraculous.

His test (other than being done in and out of fog layers) was done in ideal conditions with the S2's antennas in the ideal position for the entire flight.

If he had turned the S2 chances are good that the results would not be any where near that miraculous.
Don't make me post my results stand-in on top of hill over water, not a soul around ?
Once again, distance no big deal but I want strong video feed back.

Don't make me post my results stand-in on top of hill over water, not a soul around ?
Not trying to make you do anything... you do understand what I said about antenna orientation right?

I ain't skered!

I got a mile WITH a panel antenna modification. 1/2 mile with upgraded dipole antennas. In both instances, the drone completely lost signal and flew itself back until I regained signal. Funny story, I flew the first test, it returned and I swapped the antenna for the second test. I flew it out, it lost signal at a mile and started back. On the way, it decided that it didn't have enough battery to make it back and landed in a nice lady's back yard! Approximately 1/4 from me. I think they've addressed battery management since then.

This is a horrible video but illustrates the struggle! I was standing next to the bridge, by the river and the drone constantly lost signal the entire time. It started pixelating by the time I get approx half way across the river. It was in and out of signal the entire time. I never flew the drone in town again!

For context, this is the Mavic Mini in the same test area, same route, no mods and I brought it back because I was nervous about the drone and wind, not because I lost signal. Full disclosure, I don't fly the Mini in town either but in it's defense, it would probably do okay. Better than the S2 for sure.

Last edited:
Until Skydio adds omni-directional antennas to the S2 "itself" no amount of improvement or mods to the transmitter is going to make much difference... that is unless you fly both outward and inward legs with the nose ALWAYS facing away from you.

Didn't want to start new thread, since it's about the same subject

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup