Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio Tracking well slowly through dense woods, but poor tracking going quickly in a more open area.

Chuggie Cuda

Reaction score
This is another snowboard tracking video with mixed results. The Skydio did a pretty good job tracking me through some dense woods going back to a tipi at Meadowlark Ski Lodge in northern Wyoming. However at the end of this video, I was traveling quickly through a mainly open meadow, and the Skydio got caught up in a small patch of trees and lost tracking. What the video doesn't show is that I got on the ski lift to go back up and find the #Skydio. While riding the lift up I herd the Skydio, and looked behind me and it was there tracking the beacon. The Skydio ran too low on battery power and landed part way up the lift, but I was able to descend the run that follows the lift towers down the mountain, and I easily found the Skydio.

Reactions: deedeebulldog
That suggests at least trying to find a high open area (like the Ski Lift area) if the S2 gets hung up because it looses you.

Probably not that easy to do though when your walking uphill through the snow.

I've had this happen a bunch where it gets stuck in trees following a fast descent. The worst when it looses connection then you are really hosed like you described. I've found that putting it on third step back on the beacon is the best as it'll be high enough to avoid most trees. My biggest problem seems to be with the drop in. Seems like a lot of times I'm rolling into the run where I disappear behind a crest and Skydio is behind me so it just looses me and doesn't know what to do, Most of the time it starts to move down instead of going forward. I think I need to always drop into a run with it in front of me so it can start the track without me going out of sight.

With that said, I gotta say it's pretty cool you can use your drone at ski resort out there. It's super banned everywhere in the Pacific Northwest, I only film in the backcountry.

Reactions: richinAZ
I've had this happen a bunch where it gets stuck in trees following a fast descent. The worst when it looses connection then you are really hosed like you described. I've found that putting it on third step back on the beacon is the best as it'll be high enough to avoid most trees. My biggest problem seems to be with the drop in. Seems like a lot of times I'm rolling into the run where I disappear behind a crest and Skydio is behind me so it just looses me and doesn't know what to do, Most of the time it starts to move down instead of going forward. I think I need to always drop into a run with it in front of me so it can start the track without me going out of sight.

With that said, I gotta say it's pretty cool you can use your drone at ski resort out there. It's super banned everywhere in the Pacific Northwest, I only film in the backcountry.
The Folks who own Meadowlark Ski Area are considering buying and renting drones to guests. They allow me to fly the Skydio to test the concept. But Meadowlark is also the most laid back ski area I have ever encountered.

• Love
Reactions: richinAZ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANCISCO MENDES MORAES