Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Skydio won't give satisfactory answers to a crash

giosoleti

Reaction score
I flew my drone last Saturday using the beacon only. I put it in front of me, waited that it would recognize and lock onto me. Afterwards I sat on my motorcycle and started riding. You can see on the video that it followed me. Eventually the drone stopped recording in the air. I found it on the ground a few yards away from where it stopped recording. The battery was nowhere to be found. It looked to me as if the battery came loose while in the air. That caused it to stop recording and flying. I do not have certainty.

I uploaded the log file to Skydio and received the following answer that reads like a copy paste email. It does not say what happened, but points to the safety guidelines. The safety guidelines which are a collection of everything possible to avoid being responsible for malfunctioning. Similar to the terms of an insurance company. Has anyone had similar issues with the company? I am ready to accept my fault if they can show me what I did wrong, but this answer is disrespectful to any customer. I had once a crash with a DJI product, which was repaired no questions asked.

Thanks for your patience. I wanted to reach out with an update on your ticket and possible next steps we can take.

After thorough review from our engineering team, we’ve concluded that the incident falls outside the scope of our Skydio safety guidelines, and thus wouldn't be a crash that is covered under the product warranty. That being said, it's very likely that your Skydio 2 is repairable. We'll need the drone sent back to our facility to evaluate it for repair. Repair evaluation costs $150 and requires the drone to be disassembled.

Once the damage is evaluated, we'll provide a quote for the repairs. This can range from $150 - $850 (if the vehicle is totaled, a refurbished unit can be purchased). If you choose to proceed with repairs, the evaluation fee of $150 will be deducted from the cost of the repairs. If you choose not to proceed, the disassembled drone will be returned to you.

Skydio will provide you with a return shipping label to send the damaged drone in as part of the evaluation costs.

Please note that if your drone is deemed to be irreparable and you will choose to purchase a refurbished unit or a new drone at a discounted price (if offered), we will not be able to send your damaged unit back.

If you're interested in moving forward with repair evaluation, please let us know so we can initiate the process.

They came back to me and told me that I ran into a thin power/phone line that caused it to crash. I guess it's my fault. Be careful if you fly near power lines, because It won't detect it.

They came back to me and told me that I ran into a thin power/phone line that caused it to crash. I guess it's my fault. Be careful if you fly near power lines, because It won't detect it.
That statement should be a sticky at the top of the forum, there's no shortages of crashes due to hitting overhead wires, sorry that happened to you.

I guess so. Learned the lesson the hard way!
You and me both. Cost me $500 to repair. I really try to anticipate where the drone is going to fly now if I'm not in a totally open unobstructed place. Sometimes I'll run the line I'm looking to record a few times before flying to determine what it could possibly hit, any powerlines, super thin branches, and yeah water. I'll either not fly or put it at angle/fixed track/height to ensure to the best of my ability things won't go wrong. I found motion tracking is way unpredictable especially if there's environmental concerns.

Reactions: JoeydDetroit
You and me both. Cost me $500 to repair. I really try to anticipate where the drone is going to fly now if I'm not in a totally open unobstructed place. Sometimes I'll run the line I'm looking to record a few times before flying to determine what it could possibly hit, any powerlines, super thin branches, and yeah water. I'll either not fly or put it at angle/fixed track/height to ensure to the best of my ability things won't go wrong. I found motion tracking is way unpredictable especially if there's environmental concerns.
I almost always pre-run the areas I'm filming. As you know you can cover allot of area with it following you on the motorcycle. I often ride out on a trail and then film on the way back if it's an area that I don't know real well. It also avoids the wasted battery time if there's something on the trail you have to deal with like a fallen log that you can't easily get by.

I was going to guess that someone shot the battery off of the drone with a rifle or bb-gun or pellet gun.
I've been around humans for too long.

dougcjohn I'll try not to be long winded.

Point
1: I agree 35% is a ruse.

2: DJI was a legitimate threat, I know operators on AFB's. I trust the Chinese people but not the CCP.

3. 3DR(American) was the major influence in the drone market, scared the heck out of DJI. American fortitude is alive and well, our current federal government sucks - bad.

4. The cost of things, economies, economics, labor, ROI, innovation, investment...are stifled by our current federal government, they suck - bad, giving the advantage to other countries.

5. The S2 is the best follow drone on the market by a wide margin, no one else is close. DJI, Autel, Parrot and others are better at most everything else.

6. I don't think Skydio will abandon the consumer market, just price the S2 where it should be and not compete with Chinese drones that lack AI.

7. Our federal government will negatively impact the American drone market just like they have almost every other market, they suck - bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spad