Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Storing 3 batteries

mferring

Reaction score
Hi guys, Skydio 2 newbie here. Sorry if this has been asked. Searched several different ways and did not find an answer.

So, I guess I just did not look at the existing information enough prior to purchase. But I just got my drone and sport kit today, and I could have sworn that you could fit three batteries in the included case. I thought one would be installed on the drone, and then the two extra ones would fit in the slots on either side. Since all of the kits basically give you three batteries, and you obviously want to carry them into the field, I was thinking that the included basic case would give you that capability.

I was surprised to discover (unless I just don't understand something) that the provided basic case seems to only allow you to carry 2 batteries since the case is not thick enough to carry the drone with the battery installed.

Did I get that right?

I plan to use the S2 to film dirtbike rides in rough and remote locations. I was going to strap the base case to my dirtbike backpack. I was hoping everything I need would be in there since I will use the beacon. Now it looks like I have to carry the third battery somewhere else.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, how do you other folks carry your Skydio in the field?

Many thanks for considering and possibly helping me out!

Again, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

I too was a bit disappointed to find that the case was not thick enough to hold the drone with the battery attached. I designed my own custom case which was thick enough and also had room for the beacon and controller.

Attachments

• inside fit.JPG
    inside fit.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 19
Hi guys, Skydio 2 newbie here. Sorry if this has been asked. Searched several different ways and did not find an answer.

So, I guess I just did not look at the existing information enough prior to purchase. But I just got my drone and sport kit today, and I could have sworn that you could fit three batteries in the included case. I thought one would be installed on the drone, and then the two extra ones would fit in the slots on either side. Since all of the kits basically give you three batteries, and you obviously want to carry them into the field, I was thinking that the included basic case would give you that capability.

I was surprised to discover (unless I just don't understand something) that the provided basic case seems to only allow you to carry 2 batteries since the case is not thick enough to carry the drone with the battery installed.

Did I get that right?

I plan to use the S2 to film dirtbike rides in rough and remote locations. I was going to strap the base case to my dirtbike backpack. I was hoping everything I need would be in there since I will use the beacon. Now it looks like I have to carry the third battery somewhere else.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, how do you other folks carry your Skydio in the field?

Here's the setup I use.

IMG_20191211_153949-L.jpg

I use a klim Nac Pac, hold the 2 batteries in the case and I carry 2 more batteries in the goggle section of the pack (area with the big K), I put each one inside of a koozie to protect them. I still have room for tools, water, lunch but it can get heavy. The beacon fits on the front like it's made for it.
IMG_20191211_160629-L.jpg

IMG_20191211_154122-L.jpg

Did I get that right?

Finding a way to carry the 3rd battery is something I'm also interested in doing.

For me (haven't got a dirt bike) I just want to travel light so I'm thinking of just finding a small nylon zip-up case that I can just velcro to my Skydio 2 case.

The right zip-up case would ideally hold 2 extra batteries and some shock absorbing material (i.e. bubble wrap, etc.)

P.S. Everyone one of us assumed what you did about being able to carry the 3rd battery in the small Skydio case.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Ridefreak, that is perfect. I too use the Klim Nacpac and appreciate your thoughts on how to use it.

I am kind of surprised that both the tool kit and the Skydio case both fit in that narrow pack. Thanks for the awesome pix.

Specific question: Have you had any issues with inadvertent button pushes on the beacon while in the pocket in the front? I ride very rocky rutted, and sometimes root filled trails. And I was somewhat concerned that with all the bouncing around on my Beta 300 RR that I might squeeze that pocket area and inadvertently depress some of those control buttons. Because of that concern, I purchased this 3D printed holster mount with GoPro interface that I can install on my handlebars.

Maybe as more Skydio's get sold, the aftermarket will get more interested in making cases for the field that can carry everything. I am not real interested in those bulky pelican like monsters.

Doesn't the Beacon mounted rigidly on the handle bars subject it to a lot of shocks???

I've got one of those holders and it works good. As far as pushing the button I don't use the zippered pouch when flying, looking at the bottom picture you can see there's a little elastic pouch under the strap, I use a carabiner and my beacon has a sewn webbing loop through it's strap hole. The carabiner latches the strap to the backpack and the beacon hangs off the strap when I'm flying, sometimes I slide it into the elastic pouch. I've never had an issue with the buttons, they aren't that easy to push that it happens inadvertently, at least I've never had it happen. I've got a lot of rides with this setup (many flights also) and I would be hard pressed to come up with something better when you consider what else you typically carry in the BP on a ride.

As long as the beacon works well both in the case as well as out of the case, it seems just to be a matter of personal preference.

P.S. Had to smile about your last sentence.... using the phrase "hard pressed" just after mentioning "they aren't that easy to push" struck me as a possibly beautiful play on words. ?

P.S. Had to smile about your last sentence.... using the phrase "hard pressed" just after mentioning "they aren't that easy to push" struck me as a possibly beautiful play on words. ?

I'm not that good

I don't see that on etsy any more....but what holds the beacon to the holder?? Looks to me like it would bounce out on handle bars.

I've considered the NacPak in the past...the way it holds the S2 case looks primo and the pouches on the chest straps are awesome, but I haven't gotten it in the past cuz it doesn't have that much cargo capacity (about 1/2 vs my Camelbak Rim Runner which I think is about 1500 cu in). I take 3L water on my normal dirt bike rides and lotsa tools and other stuff. Maybe for dirt biking a NacPak could work if I use my KLIM fanny pack.

It has a ridge built into it that snaps the beacon in place. Have not ridden with it yet (cold here!), but I think it will be OK.

NacPak is somewhat small. But it does come with a 3l bladder and you can see in the pictures that the tool case and Skydio case fit at the same time. I love how it really hugs your body and almost feels like you don't have a backpack with the single latch front clasp that really distributes the weight well.

You might want to contact Mike and see whether he is planning on 3D printing any more, if you are possibly interested in purchasing one.

There is a contact Mike button on the upper right of this web page. I purchased it from his etsy account

Reactions: dmac1
I don't see that on etsy any more....but what holds the beacon to the holder?? Looks to me like it would bounce out on handle bars.

The one I got wraps over the upper edge of the beacon, it's captured pretty well. There's also a hole in the holder that I thread my strap through and clip to a nearby cable so even if it pops out it's not going anywhere.

Reactions: dmac1
Here's the setup I use.

IMG_20191211_153949-L.jpg

I use a klim Nac Pac, hold the 2 batteries in the case and I carry 2 more batteries in the goggle section of the pack (area with the big K), I put each one inside of a koozie to protect them. I still have room for tools, water, lunch but it can get heavy. The beacon fits on the front like it's made for it.
IMG_20191211_160629-L.jpg

IMG_20191211_154122-L.jpg
That’s the ticket, I like that setup very much and it would work best for my ATV. Thanks for the Tip, I know I have something similar laying around.

Reactions: Ridefreak
I too just sent in my deposit for one of these drones. As I did notice the case was too small for everything the sports package had I found a nice case on Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup