Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

The Skydio 2 Does Avoid Obstacles When Force Lands

Maybe but it can be cool to be one of the first! I'm a second gen early adopter through and through! Cable, Microwave, Color TV, Cassette Tape, VHS, Laserdisk, Beta, Minidisk, 800mm, CDs, DVD, Smart Phone, Parrot AR Drone 1.0, GoPro, 4 stroke dirt bike, Blu-ray, 4K, Folding Phone, 8K, etc. I'm usually in from the start, for better or worse. Some of you guys are still waiting for Blu-ray to become "affordable" ...
yeah, we've come so far. Have you seen the 8K60 videos on youtube?

yeah, we've come so far. Have you seen the 8K60 videos on youtube?

Yes!!! However, I just watched the Japan video....I haven't seen this one! To the TV!!!

I understand that you can't tell the difference with the naked eye according to experts but I had this TV next to my Samsung Q9 4k during the install for fun and the difference was striking! Granted it's a couple year old TV verses a new on but DANG! Maybe it's subliminal or nuanced or heck maybe it's in my head but I could sense the difference if that means anything. Subtle things like text or lines... It's hard to quantify but I never watch any content under 4k and this TV upsamples it to 8k and it looks crispy!

Too many other things in life that interest me far more than beta testing.... glad you found what floats your boat though.

Yes!!! However, I just watched the Japan video....I haven't seen this one! To the TV!!!

I understand that you can't tell the difference with the naked eye according to experts but I had this TV next to my Samsung Q9 4k during the install for fun and the difference was striking! Granted it's a couple year old TV verses a new on but DANG! Maybe it's subliminal or nuanced or heck maybe it's in my head but I could sense the difference if that means anything. Subtle things like text or lines... It's hard to quantify but I never watch any content under 4k and this TV upsamples it to 8k and it looks crispy!

If you blow a 4K image on a 4K screen or even an 8K on and 8K it wouldn't be true 8K unless you were viewing a picture of course. A lot of companies don't have perfect pixels and compression is going on when encoding?

It wasn’t a forced landing but I had to land amongst the bushes and cactus and hadn’t hand caught yet.

I hovered above a large enough land sight and pressed land but my S2 rose up a few feet then flew horizontal for about 10 feet and landed in a larger land sight. I thought that was an impressive demonstration of AI and why us pilots matter less with this drone.

If you blow a 4K image on a 4K screen or even an 8K on and 8K it wouldn't be true 8K unless you were viewing a picture of course. A lot of companies don't have perfect pixels and compression is going on when encoding?

Yes I'm sure there's a premium point as well. I'm down in the $7000 range but I'm sure the quality goes up as the price does. As I understand it, this year's 8k TVs have already seen distinct improvements in pixel tech, contrast, etc.

One day, the Skydio 2 tech will be used in drones that people fly inside.

One day, the Skydio 2 tech will be used in drones that people fly inside.

I've already flown inside without issue... It's low light that's the problem. Infrared, ultrasonic, radar or lidar would solve that issue though. I guess they could just let you turn off Obstacle Avoidance... We'll see.

I've already flown inside without issue... It's low light that's the problem. Infrared, ultrasonic, radar or lidar would solve that issue though. I guess they could just let you turn off Obstacle Avoidance... We'll see.

Of course, but I assume those would take so much power. The P4PV2.0 has sensors that aren't vision on the side but they don't do a very good job from what I've tested going super mega slow over a tree and it hit it but the tree was soft.

And yet you ordered the Skydio 2? That's some irony, buddy!
More like confidence in American technological know-how coupled with an ironclad accident insurance policy should I run into "Murphy".

No regrets yet about selling yours?

Of course, but I assume those would take so much power. The P4PV2.0 has sensors that aren't vision on the side but they don't do a very good job from what I've tested going super mega slow over a tree and it hit it but the tree was soft.

Hmmm that's possible but it's what's necessary to fly with OA in the dark.

More like confidence in American technological know-how coupled with an ironclad accident insurance policy should I run into "Murphy".

No regrets yet about selling yours?

Nope. The drone wasn't for me and my use case. It wasn't from lack of trying either. I took it to several sites but it just wouldn't work the way I wanted it to. I'm all about supporting American companies and I was considering just keeping it if it didn't sell.

There's zero "accident warranty" BTW and what they do offer isn't "iron clad" or no questions asked either... Don't get me wrong, they are good guys but they aren't rushing to replace crashed drones. If it's your fault at all, you're probably out of luck. They only replace if it's proven to be the drone's fault. I think that's fair but it's not guaranteed.

I'm just the opposite.

Just being able to fly and not having to give almost 100% of my attention to situational awareness is worth two or three times the S2's price to me.

It's a magnificently engineered and built drone .... just hope I get mine before someone with deep pockets buys the company and things start to go south.

I agree, even considering the few firmware issues that need to be addressed the mere fact I can fly hands off with confidence is huge. After 45 years in RC I have not experienced this at any price making my S2 invaluable is certain situations.

I feel the S2 is underrated by those who do not have the need. But in the future this technology will become mandatory for safe operation of “work” drones regardless of need. Currently other drones may have better range or camera controls but in the grand scheme of things those are just refinements of old technology, what SD is doing is market changing for all manufacturers.

I'm just the opposite.

Just being able to fly and not having to give almost 100% of my attention to situational awareness is worth two or three times the S2's price to me.

It's a magnificently engineered and built drone .... just hope I get mine before someone with deep pockets buys the company and things start to go south.

Yes but the "fly" part can be problematic... You'll see for yourself when you get yours. The obstacle avoidance is great, but I wish I could tune it or turn it off. Tracking is good as well but I'm not trying to follow myself around all the time, you know? I got it to film metallic structures that all drones with compasses have problems with but the range foiled me time and time again. Then there are the lack of flight modes or the ability to lock onto a point of interest. If it could have done that it may have worked.
I think they have a good team and a solid base but if they want to really pull in the hobbyist crowd, they need to fix a few things on the hardware side. The minute they do that, I'll buy from them again, guaranteed! Heck, if they release a Skydio 2 Pro with better range, a 1" sensor and adjustable Obstacle Avoidance, I'll buy it.

Yes but the "fly" part can be problematic... You'll see for yourself when you get yours. The obstacle avoidance is great, but I wish I could tune it or turn it off. Tracking is good as well but I'm not trying to follow myself around all the time, you know? I got it to film metallic structures that all drones with compasses have problems with but the range foiled me time and time again. Then there are the lack of flight modes or the ability to lock onto a point of interest. If it could have done that it may have worked.
I think they have a good team and a solid base but if they want to really pull in the hobbyist crowd, they need to fix a few things on the hardware side. The minute they do that, I'll buy from them again, guaranteed! Heck, if they release a Skydio 2 Pro with better range, a 1" sensor and adjustable Obstacle Avoidance, I'll buy it.
I'll lay odds that the better range is in their immediate plans but I doubt they're going to play with their camera or OA.
Getting more flight modes and the ability to lock on to a stationary object would only involve firmware changes so that may even come earlier (i.e. within the S2 itself).
Many commercial uses don't involve range problems and with a aerial camera that's getting very good reviews from the professional reviewers I'm betting "even" the currently configured S2 will become the drone of choice for real estate agents and work site inspectors that can't or aren't able to become good pilots.

E6F1C7D9-79E2-40A7-B1E6-DC04F8F82CA7.jpegCan
You actually bought a "folding phone"??? :)

Have you seen this new Moto Razor state of the art.

One advantage the S2 has is being based on the Anafi controller there’s lots of range extenders and technology out there although I am not in need of it. As far as orbiting an object I agree that would be nice however mission planner and ground station style apps are a dime a dozen today and even the cheap Chinese drones have some sort of waypoints so I think that will be added quickly.

They look fun to own but nothing else appeals to me about them.

If Skydio were smart they'd do add features to their own app instead of depending on 3rd party apps ... less compatibility issues and more control over the firmware.

My wife wants one because it fits in her small purse:confused:

I agree the days of Solo and Mission Planner are over. Point being taken is even the low line toy drones today are coming with some form of waypoints so I suspect SD will add it to the existing app too.

I hope they don't make it a separate purchase like Parrot; and, I hope they will allow you to pick a point on the map to orbit rather than have to fly over the point(over your head) to mark center a la DJI. In addition I want to be able to change altitude and distance manually during the orbit, most drones allow this but Anafi will kick you out of a smart move if you touch the sticks. Why do I sound like I'm asking for a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UpAboveVisuals