Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Too hot to fly.

vincent228

Reaction score
I see thread after thread about the skydio 2 giving the “too hot to fly. Land immediately” message. Most threads are older. Has skydio come up with a fix for this yet? Fir crying out loud. I live in connecticut. Yes today is 88 degrees. Yes there is a slight breeze. No im not just hovering the quad. And this happened no matter which of 4 batteries i put in. And i am flying in the shade. You would think they would have figured out a way to get me more than a 3 minute flight. Or have they? Its really annoying that i sold my phantom 4 pro+ for one of these, and these are the results i get. I guess im just frustrated, but have they fixed this yet?

I flew several flights on a 95-degree sunny day this week for almost an hour and never got a too hot to fly message. Maybe your temp sensor (or mine for that matter) is out of whack?

Wow, that is a new one for me and an interesting one too, the only warnings I ever saw on my unit were High Winds or Dirty camera lenses. I have flown in 90 degree temps and very humid conditions without a warning, perhaps a bad temp sensor or the small fan inside the S2 not working causing temps to go above the S2 operating range of 104 deg. The magnesium body serves as a heat sink to help in dissipation, but of course you already know that.

That warning would bug me though, hope you find the cause.

This problem always shows up in the warmer months. I've found if it takes extra time getting it to become ready to launch after being turned on like when getting gps lock it's going to be much more likely to give an temp warning. Slow flying or hoovering, especially over sand or pavement can also be an issue if the temps are up there. Out here in the desert it's almost guaranteed to happen in the summer, I couldn't fly here during those times without taking some precautions. I get it ready while standing under a tree or some shade if possible. The done doesn't get placed out in the direct sun until it has GPS lock and I'm ready to go. Once it's up I try to keep it moving.

It's not really much extra effort, just some precautions and being aware of the temp effect so you can avoid it. Anytime after June it's near 100 degrees here, without any precautions I'd get that warning every time I went to fly. The issue is annoying but it's manageable. If it's blazing out don't don't sit the case with the drone in it out in the sun, once you pull the drone out keep it under some cover or shade if you can, get it up and give it some alt if it's above a hot surface like pavement or sand. Get the drone moving and it will cool down to a point where the warning goes away. If it gives the warning shortly after takeoff try gaining some alt hopefully to a point where there a little more cooler air, when I launch and it's over the sand which gets very toasty, flying up about '60 is usually enough to get it into a temp where it will cool enough to have the warning go away.

Good luck.

Reactions: yohdah
I flew several flights on a 95-degree sunny day this week for almost an hour and never got a too hot to fly message. Maybe your temp sensor (or mine for that matter) is out of whack?
Good point. I wonder if skydio still repairs the 2. Ill have to call them and see if they have local repair (if they even still repar the 2, not 2+

Ridefreak has some good advice, you must change your method of operation in the higher temps. Whether your sensor is inaccurate or not here's what I do.

Last year at this time I was getting constant high temperature warnings stating land immediately. Today I flew two full batteries without a single hot message and temperatures we're between 101 and 104 here in Las Vegas.

First I have the advantage of cooling the S2 in my Jeep, I place it in front of the AC vents until it's cold to the touch, especially the magnesium hull, it gets very hot.

I launch my S2 and immediately begin moving, hovering requires more motor power and provides less cooling air flow. I find about 15 miles an hour works well, the motors are under less stress and there is sufficient air flow to keep the S2 cool. I can usually fly an entire battery without the temperature warning.

Upon landing I find the magnesium shell very hot, too hot to touch; so after I replace the battery I leave it in front of the AC vent until it's cold to the touch. I can then fly another battery without issue.

I found ground launching in the hot sun and extended hovering would lead to the hot warning.

After landing when receiving the hot warning how hot was your magnesium shell?

Ridefreak has some good advice, you must change your method of operation in the higher temps. Whether your sensor is inaccurate or not here's what I do.

Last year at this time I was getting constant high temperature warnings stating land immediately. Today I flew two full batteries without a single hot message and temperatures we're between 101 and 104 here in Las Vegas.

First I have the advantage of cooling the S2 in my Jeep, I place it in front of the AC vents until it's cold to the touch, especially the magnesium hull, it gets very hot.

I launch my S2 and immediately begin moving, hovering requires more motor power and provides less cooling air flow. I find about 15 miles an hour works well, the motors are under less stress and there is sufficient air flow to keep the S2 cool. I can usually fly an entire battery without the temperature warning.

Upon landing I find the magnesium shell very hot, too hot to touch; so after I replace the battery I leave it in front of the AC vent until it's cold to the touch. I can then fly another battery without issue.

I found ground launching in the hot sun and extended hovering would lead to the hot warning.

After landing when receiving the hot warning how hot was your magnesium shell?
All excellent information.
Thank you very much.
I have followed the advice of Ridefreak and yourself, and so far so good.
Thank you for the info.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: VEGASROBBI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup