Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Which iPad

mswlogo

Reaction score
First, I know about the Tripltek, sorry I try to minimize my exposure to Android. Even though I program on Android for a living ;)

I had a DJI RC Pro for a Mavic 3. I loved that controller. Size was fine. You have take in consideration aspect ratios, at least on DJI. The RC Pro is effectively larger than 5.5” because the aspect ratio better matches the Drone Video feed aspect ratio of 4:3 (native). So you get about as much useful real estate as say an iPhone 13 Pro Max (because the iPhones are skinny and have the notch you lose a lot of screen with black bars on the side).

I have a 10.5” (I think) 4 year old iPad Pro. I suspect that’s too big. Maybe not.

I was thinking of getting an iPad mini. Kind of bummed it doesn’t have the M1 chip. I could get a new M1 iPad Pro but smallest is 11”, again to big and heavy. I would like to use the iPad for other things besides the Drone.

Also, I’ve never flown a Skydio. Heard that the controller is very laggy. But that was an old Video. So I’m not sure how much I should even invest in a iPad for the Skydio controller. I know I don’t like the idea of using my iPhone 13 Pro in it. Because it’s too prone to pop loose.

I did order the Skydio Pro Kit with the tablet adapter.

can confirm the iPad Pro 11" will just squeeze into the official Parrot tablet adaptor that comes with the Pro Kit. You have to slide it in from the end without the buttons

The square edged iPhones since the 12 fit much better in the controller, I haven't had any issues with them popping out, which is more likely on the rounder style phones

I'm usually on a sandy hot beach so don't often take the iPad out and about and used to have the iPhone in the controller simultaneously flying with the Beacon as a RTH back-up when I have a spotter/assistant, but they have since updated the capabilities of the Beacon so it's not always necessary for me now

Reactions: mswlogo
can confirm the iPad Pro 11" will just squeeze into the official Parrot tablet adaptor that comes with the Pro Kit. You have to slide it in from the end without the buttons

The square edged iPhones since the 12 fit much better in the controller, I haven't had any issues with them popping out, which is more likely on the rounder style phones

I'm usually on a sandy hot beach so don't often take the iPad out and about and used to have the iPhone in the controller simultaneously flying with the Beacon as a RTH back-up when I have a spotter/assistant, but they have since updated the capabilities of the Beacon so it's not always necessary for me now
When I said too big, I was referring to practical use. Not if it will fit ;) Which I had not even considered. But that’s good to know the limits. Did the 11” Pro have a case? Was that the new M1 Pro?

Probably pretty heavy for extended use and I had the Apple magic keyboard case with the pencil, but it will only fit naked, no case

That is the current iPad Pro 11" shape which has been the same for a few years and recently yes they upgraded the chip to the M1

Reactions: mswlogo
Interestingly I noticed this company just came out with a tablet mount that supports the 12.9" iPad Pro that's compatible with the Skydio controller. I have no idea if it is effective (and I'm curious if it is since I'd think the 12.9" Pro would be too heavy for this sort of thing):

I ran a Mini 4 on my Anafi controller. Be careful the larger tablets tend to flop over(and close) and are unbalanced. Dirty J printed me a large tablet holder with a "kickstand" to hold it open and it had a eyelet for a neck strap that was balanced.

I ran a Mini 4 on my Anafi controller. Be careful the larger tablets tend to flop over(and close) and are unbalanced. Dirty J printed me a large tablet holder with a "kickstand" to hold it open and it had a eyelet for a neck strap that was balanced.

I have that and can say it works well with my iPad mini. Even though the mini isn't big compared to the regular iPad the kickstand helps prop and support it better.

Ray

Reactions: VEGASROBBI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup