Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Which one will you choose? Skydio 2+ or Skydio 2?

Sky Cyclist

Reaction score
Let's go back to Jan 4, 2022.

If there were Skydio 2+ launch and the original Skydio 2 were also still available of sales and with new battery upgrade, which one will you choose?
  1. Skydio 2+ | $1,099 | Extended range | Flight time: 27 min
  2. Skydio 2 | $949 | Good enough range | Flight time: 27 min
  3. Skydio 2 and one additional battery | $1,064 ($949 + $115) | Good enough range | Flight time - 27 min | One more battery for flight
What do you think and choose?

For me:

I will choose #3 - Skydio 2 with the new battery and an additional new battery for slightly less price comparing to Skydio 2+.

Some of reasons are because...
  • The current Skydio 2 does really good job.
  • The operation range of the current Skydio 2 is truly good enough for autonomous flights.
  • I don't need the antenna and also don't want to take the risk that if the antenna is broken and requires replacement occasionally.
So, I will choose the original Skydio 2 with an additional price and it will be a better option for me.

Thus, I hope Skydio 2 will continous the sales of the original Skydio 2.

It is really good and much more than enough.

Just some of my personal opinions. Post this here for Skydio's reference... it could the right way to expand Skydio 2's market share.

All the best.

Last edited:
With such a minimal price difference I'd always go for the newest model. You'll also want to be ready for future upgrades that may only be available to the S2+ too.

IOWs it's more of a future proofing thing to buy the S2+ today over the S2 for just a bit more $.

Ray

Having the S2 for over 2 years... I'd agree that "it's good enough", and not enough justification to purchase the S2+. The new FW to add their Keyframe will be worth examining and if needed, new batteries will be the larger ones.

If I was purchasing "today", I'd only go with the S2+ to gain the few enhancements... although granted not huge.
The concern for antennas breaking... they do pivot down so I wouldn't be overly concerned.
The improved Beacon, Radio and Batteries is a worthwhile improvement.

The S2 Owners can purchase the new Batteries & Beacon (not same improvement w S2), so that is nice for those with the S2 Craft. Actually I'm a little surprised with the minimal differences between the models: I'd have expected a few more improvements or enhancements in new model.

I thought I heard/read that the S2+ was replacing the S2, so the S2 will be phased out with inventory.

Good Luck on your decision... you'll enjoy anyway you decide.

Forgot to mention that one of the big reasons for the S2+ is their Sky Care extended warranty which is not avail for S2. Gives me huge peace of mind.

If I already had a Skydio 2 I would be absolutely fine keeping it. I only had mine for less than a month so was able to send it back for 2+.

Forgot to mention that one of the big reasons for the S2+ is their Sky Care extended warranty which is not avail for S2. Gives me huge peace of mind.

If I already had a Skydio 2 I would be absolutely fine keeping it. I only had mine for less than a month so was able to send it back for 2+.
this i agree with. the s2 was protected but the s2+ actually has a care protection program that is not available on the s2. this is the biggest reason i am selling my s2 and getting the s2+. for only a few more $$, you always want to go with the latest technology. we got lucky this time with backwards compatibility but that may not be true next time.

with such little difference between the two drones, i don't think skydio could sell both along side each other in good faith. there's no logical way to differentiate the two when selling to the ordinary customer. it's likely the s2 production lines have already quit making s2 drones...i should say line. probably switched over a month or two ago because im not seeing how they can build enough s2+ drones for 2022 as it stands.

this i agree with. the s2 was protected but the s2+ actually has a care protection program that is not available on the s2. this is the biggest reason i am selling my s2 and getting the s2+. for only a few more $$, you always want to go with the latest technology. we got lucky this time with backwards compatibility but that may not be true next time.

with such little difference between the two drones, i don't think skydio could sell both along side each other in good faith. there's no logical way to differentiate the two when selling to the ordinary customer. it's likely the s2 production lines have already quit making s2 drones...i should say line. probably switched over a month or two ago because im not seeing how they can build enough s2+ drones for 2022 as it stands.
Agree and had to chuckle on the production comments.
You selling the S2 or simple adding S2+ to inventory?
I'll retain my S2 but if selling, will want to do while S2+ popularity hasn't fully taken off.

Thank you all for so many richful discussions.

Indeed, the price differences are small. However, I will probably choose 2 because the camera of both are all the same.

It seems that the only 2 key factors for Skydio to penetrate the market are the production capacity and pricing.

The pricing of new Skydio 2+ is attractive and really really attractive though this also hurts current owners more or less.

But, the production capacity of Skydio is limited to provide 2 and 2+ at the same time.

Amoung the two factors, the production capacity is a slightly more important factor.

While waiting for the next gen Skydio 3, all the best wishes for Skydio and continuing improving the production capacity.

Last edited:
With such a minimal price difference I'd always go for the newest model. You'll also want to be ready for future upgrades that may only be available to the S2+ too.

IOWs it's more of a future proofing thing to buy the S2+ today over the S2 for just a bit more $.

Ray
What he said.

Also I think it’s nuts to buy this drone without the Beacon. If you buy the Sport package you get 3 batteries, Beacon and Case. Almost 2 Batteries free.

Also the care package is a great deal.

What he said.

Also I think it’s nuts to buy this drone without the Beacon. If you buy the Sport package you get 3 batteries, Beacon and Case. Almost 2 Batteries free.

Also the care package is a great deal.

Beacon (Sports kit) is always a must for Skydio owners. It does not need to have much consideration even.

However, for the new 2+, it is better to have the controller now.

Without the controller, the 2+ and 2 will be less different in real uses.

No one will mention this but you will find out the needs of controller after having 2+.

That means the total budget for having 2+ will be much higher than 2.

Just some information for new owners' reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
Good luck on purchase... enjoy it and don't worry about chasing or waiting for next version... technology is never ending.

The S2 is an amazing craft for it's optical and processing. The keystone programming will add a component needed to begin moving into new arenas... we'll see how that develops, the S2 current rule is within a minor specialty.... and does it great! Although, I'll retain my other Brands & payloads for their unique tasks the Skydio has yet to enter. They're all Tools... each have purpose.

I would agree, the new prices are impressive... especially when you examine the new Mavic 3 Cine prices!

Good luck on purchase... enjoy it and don't worry about chasing or waiting for next version... technology is never ending.

The S2 is an amazing craft for it's optical and processing. The keystone programming will add a component needed to begin moving into new arenas... we'll see how that develops, the S2 current rule is within a minor specialty.... and does it great! Although, I'll retain my other Brands & payloads for their unique tasks the Skydio has yet to enter. They're all Tools... each have purpose.

I would agree, the new prices are impressive... especially when you examine the new Mavic 3 Cine prices!

May I know which other drones and devices in your fleet list? I am so agree with you and am just building up my fleet, too.

Agree and had to chuckle on the production comments.
You selling the S2 or simple adding S2+ to inventory?
I'll retain my S2 but if selling, will want to do while S2+ popularity hasn't fully taken off.
i have to sell the s2. there's no room left at home; too many drones

Reactions: dougcjohn
May I know which other drones and devices in your fleet list? I am so agree with you and am just building up my fleet, too.
More than need mentioned from M600Pro, M210, I2 down through most Mavics, Thermal, Full Frame, etc...

Should sell some, but tend to retain. Sold a H920 and a few others that had no usefulness. A few for fun... the PowerEgg... and looking at the V-Coptr Falcon just for uniqueness..

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
More than need mentioned from M600Pro, M210, I2 down through most Mavics, Thermal, Full Frame, etc...

Should sell some, but tend to retain. Sold a H920 and a few others that had no usefulness. A few for fun... the PowerEgg... and looking at the V-Coptr Falcon just for uniqueness..

Than you. You are a master of drones.

I am also interested in V-Coptr Falcon but its camera quality does not seem good, do you also feel so?

I also pay attention to the next gen of dji phantom 4 and Skydio 3 of course.

I do aerial photography for recreation mostly.

Than you. You are a master of drones.

I am also interested in V-Coptr Falcon but its camera quality does not seem good, do you also feel so?

I also pay attention to the next gen of dji phantom 4 and Skydio 3 of course.

I do aerial photography for recreation mostly.
The V-Falcon (shortened) is an interesting craft. It appears to fly nicely, but I question it's on-going development. It most likely will be a short lived craft unless company gains strength or bought out.

The camera, I'd compare to a Mini2 or Air2... not to caliber of A2S. The recent Captain Drone (yesterday) presented a few new concerns on GPS. It's not high camera caliber, but I think acceptable for a quick travel drone.

I really like the way it folds up into a nice case, all reviews indicate it's very quite... both presenting non-intrusive flying in public areas. But mainly, it's the 2 motor setup that I find intriguing and unique... if it was $800 instead of $12-1300 I'd buy it. Just not sure a unique unknown craft is worth the price tag. The PowerEgg was over priced for year or so... then marked down to acceptable price for unique. The neighborhood kids love watching the flying Egg and the retracting long curved legs... like a mini space ship from Nork!

New technology is always exciting to watch... the S3 should be amazing if Skydio remains dedicated to consumer market and doesn't go more high-end Prosumer - Govt. The new DJI and Autels will be exciting too.... the P5P, I question due to size & shape being old iconic shape. I always thought they'd bring out a Phantom similar to a Yuneec H480 Typhoon... a Hex motor and retractable legs. Still feel that would be a nitch... more secure & stable with 6 motor failsafe, Dual batteries and use MFT or FF removable payloads. That would capture several arenas concerned with safety and reliability.

The new Autel Nano+ looks like a winner in craft and camera. That's one to watch if looking for a small travel, vacation, bike trail, etc. Reviews praise stable range, .8" camera, 50MB photos, 4k video, color CYYB capture, OA... all in a sub250 class platform. Next is the Lite+... another to watch.

The one I'm hoping to see soon is the Inspire 3. That will be reality soon (late 2022) and I think very pricey and focused toward professional cinematography. If you take the technology from their hot new gimbal system and integrated camera interfaces and apply part of that on aerial platform and interface with ground gimbal crews. Cameras probably Full Frame S35 as minimal base.

Likely be out of my price bracket, but should be awesome technology.

Reactions: Sky Cyclist
The V-Falcon (shortened) is an interesting craft. It appears to fly nicely, but I question it's on-going development. It most likely will be a short lived craft unless company gains strength or bought out.

I have a Hover 2 which is the predecessor of V-Coptr Falcon.

I may know what are your concerns. :cool:

Reactions: dougcjohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup