Welcome to SkydioPilots.com

Beacon issues? App issues?

ngengs

Reaction score
I am patiently waiting for my SD2 but have been reading up on the forum, educating myself (thanks to all of you) on various issues that there might be. I've read some posts regarding stability issues, though nothing major when they're using the RC. Has anyone any feedback on the beacon's performance such as stability, range, etc? How about the phone app? I know that the range on the phone has been increased, but does the app have all the features that the RC? Thanks in advance!

p.s. I have 3 more months of waiting, so I know I'll learn a lot while waiting.

I am patiently waiting for my SD2 but have been reading up on the forum, educating myself (thanks to all of you) on various issues that there might be. I've read some posts regarding stability issues, though nothing major when they're using the RC. Has anyone any feedback on the beacon's performance such as stability, range, etc? How about the phone app? I know that the range on the phone has been increased, but does the app have all the features that the RC? Thanks in advance!

p.s. I have 3 more months of waiting, so I know I'll learn a lot while waiting.
There was no increase of range using the phone.
If you block the line of sight between the beacon and drone it will start buzzing and disconnect.
For tracking works OK but don't expect the range they claim.

• Sad
Reactions: richinAZ
Greater range would be welcome, but most of my tracking (with beacon, never phone) is fairly close in stuff, and it works like a champ! I use velcro to attach the beacon to my bike's handlebar, where it is easy to change direction of tracking or range of tracking. I've had mine for six months, and have seldom reached for my Mavic 2 in all that time.

For some reason a few S2 owners expect the beacon/S2 combo not to be effected by obstacles between the beacon and the S2.

Would like to hear from other S2 owners how often/when a disconnect actually occured and what firmware version was in use.

I always use the latest firmware and latest app. The drone uses the 2.4 gHz band (Wi-Fi) and VERY low power. Probably not a decent antenna either. On this [microwave] band, even foliage will disrupt the signal. DJI's Occusink uses the same band, but likely has much more power / better antenna. Just be aware that you don't have enough of a signal to go very far, or through blocking obstacles, and plan your flights accordingly. If I need to go more than 200 metres, I grab my MP2. If however, I want to track myself, close in, I grab the Skydio. Each device has it's purpose and limitations. de KØUNX, Jim, in Jefferson County, Colorado

Reactions: skydioconvert
I always use the latest firmware and latest app. The drone uses the 2.4 gHz band (Wi-Fi) and VERY low power. Probably not a decent antenna either. On this [microwave] band, even foliage will disrupt the signal. DJI's Occusink uses the same band, but likely has much more power / better antenna. Just be aware that you don't have enough of a signal to go very far, or through blocking obstacles, and plan your flights accordingly. If I need to go more than 200 metres, I grab my MP2. If however, I want to track myself, close in, I grab the Skydio. Each device has it's purpose and limitations. de KØUNX, Jim, in Jefferson County, Colorado
So far, from what ive witnessed with my S2. id say that is good advice. if skydio doesnt want to mislead about the S2's Range then they need to give us an antenna upgrade. 3.5 km.......Laughable !

Last edited:
I've had mixed results. Straight line of sight from mountain peaks I've flown some 5000 ft (err 1 mile?) without signal loss. In the city I had it loose connection at 900 feet away. You'll have to kilometer that up for me, but it's not good. Then again don't really think this is one of them city drones anyways..

Greater range would be welcome, but most of my tracking (with beacon, never phone) is fairly close in stuff, and it works like a champ! I use velcro to attach the beacon to my bike's handlebar, where it is easy to change direction of tracking or range of tracking. I've had mine for six months, and have seldom reached for my Mavic 2 in all that time.

Handlebar mount for Skydio 2 Beacon

I bought this for my bike. It works great with the beacon.

Reactions: richinAZ
Don't use Velcro, use the handlebar mount made/sold by DirtyJ Designs. I have this with the optional GoPro finger base and it works like a champ. Even on super technical/bumpy DH trails. Handlebar mount for Skydio 2 Beacon
No clue why there isn't a handlebar mount offered by Skydio. Seems like an obvious use case for Beacon...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViktorSinatorov0fup